Favorite Toys?

mamamia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure where this post fit, so I thought I would start it here. What are your kitty's favorite toys? Mia is primarily an outdoor kitty, but she stays on our screen porch at night. So far, she seems pretty happy out there and I have some things to help make her comfortable...food and water (of course), litter box, a bed, a cozy hut, a tunnel and playhouse, scratching post and scratch pad with ball, and a few little toys. But none of the toys keep her interest.

Until she came to use, she was outside all of the time and spent her nights stalking and hunting. Now, being inside at night, she loses that activity. I've tried playing with her using a feather and mouse wand, but she has no interest in it whatsoever. So what are your kitty's favorite things to play with? I've seen something called an undercover mouse...decent reviews...and I found a treat maze that looks promising. But I'd love some ideas!!!!

Mia and I thank you!!!! :)

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella's favorite toy is a small  green & black soccer ball that she carries around in her mouth and then it ends up under the stove.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tony's favorite toy is a fabric ball that he fishes from the basket of toys. But he also likes to pull a pink flower out of an artificial plant we have. Lots of mornings we just find the pink flower somewhere in the house. Angel and Tippy also play with the ball that Tony likes and a couple of other stuffed animals.

But the strangest one of all was my Rainbow kitty - Ali - she would steal a dish towel and an oven mit and we'd find them all over the house. And she also loved the cash register receipts from the supermarket. Strange?

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one that loves to play with ice cubes, anytime she hears us at the ice make she is up and at our feet waiting for one. She slaps it around then picks it up with her teeth, carries it into the front room and plays with it on the tile floor. Then she deposits it into a shoe where it melts lol.

Any fabric balls get a lot of play time here and fake mice as well. Everyone enjoys the plastic fishing poles from the pet store and the laser pointer but those require human help lol. :)

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The undercover mouse toy you mentioned is a great toy. Especially if you need a toy for a cat that is used to lots of hunting.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli is into natural materials like fur, feathers and leather. He'll play with synthetic stuff, but you can tell he's not excited about it.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to block under the stove cause Bella's soccer ball goes under it. I'm tired of taking out the broiler

to reach the ball.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Mouse, as an indoor cat, will go for anything he thinks I'm playing with. If he HAS TO play  on his own he'll go for  the edges of bits of paper he can pull out from piles of 'stuff' I leave out, and he also loves a blue and white circuit toy thing that has a ball in it that he bats around - Again he likes it best if it's part hidden under something so he has to wait for the ball to disappear and come back out adding to the chase. He gets so excited with it he sometimes pulls the whole toy around the floor by his teeth. I don't think anything beats live prey like spiders and flies though. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamamia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!  So far, Mia shows no interest in any toys.  I've tried the feather wands, little mouse toys on a string, laser pointer, crinkle balls, cat nip toys and even simple pom poms.  Nada.  I ordered a treat maze for her and I'm hoping that will help keep her stimulated during the night.  And I just bought her a cat tree. 

Sometimes, she'll go into her little tunnel and house, mostly to get away from the kids.  I'm hoping the tree will give her another "private" place to be. 

Thanks again!!!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have boxes full of toys and I never see our cats playing with anything.  Yet, every morning, certain toys are scattered around the house.  A fuzzy mouse, a stuffed ferret and especially a stuffed teddy bear.  We also have an undercover mouse.  I've had to fix it several times - they break the plastic wand the toy is attached to.

I do spray catnip on the toys from time to time and that seems to increase their interest in them.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw one of my cats, Gracie, peering under the TV cabinet last night and got down to see what she was looking at.  Lined up, just out of paw's reach, where 13 toys!  Mice, fuzzballs, ping pong balls and curlyques.  I burst out laughing and got the knitting needle out.  Gracie was in heaven - she literally didn't know which toy to go after first.  Needless to say, a few of them are missing this morning and probably under the TV stand again.