Favorite Music?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tangerine Dream! Let's not talk about how dorkily excited I was when I saw that in the first post of this thread.
Force Majeure will always be my favourite TD album and one of my favourite albums ever.

Some of my other favourites are Tegan and Sara, Mogwai, Fleetwood Mac, and Rush. I could seriously rave about T&S all day. I've had the privilege of talking to Sara through a CBC book chat and Tegan through Twitter and one of the fansites she works with. And with saying that, they're such hilarious, sweet people. Seriously, their shows could double as a comedy act.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people complain about Dark Funeral and their kind of sameness musically.
I don't mind them, though Broberg is out now. I was able to see them Halloween a few years ago in a really really tiny club.

I don't really listen to gothic metal, either, though there's a few bands that some tag into that category for some reason.. Like Eternal Tears of Sorrow.

One of the few I do like is Charon, there's something about JP's voice... Otherwise there's a lot of sameness in Finnish gothic metal/rock and just in the genre in general.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Otherwise there's a lot of sameness in Finnish gothic metal/rock and just in the genre in general.
Agreed. That's why I tend to like more the bands that are called 'gothic' just because of their lyrics but sound more like black or death metal. Graveworm and Evenfall (the first album, second was...not goog..) for example but some call them melodic black, I'm confused

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

Agreed. That's why I tend to like more the bands that are called 'gothic' just because of their lyrics but sound more like black or death metal. Graveworm and Evenfall (the first album, second was...not goog..) for example but some call them melodic black, I'm confused
I'd just put both bands in the "symphonic" category - I actually don't listen to too many bands that fall into that category. Which may seem odd because I do like keyboards, just not really mixed with black or death. Some can get away with it, though they sound better if they go the progressive direction. (or maybe it's just because I really like prog). I absolutely love bands like Solefald or Enslaved - and they definitely use keys properly. (even better when Nedland pulls out the hammond - which goes back to me like old prog and classic rock. lol)

I'm actually very annoyed that we can't afford to travel out of state and the tour Enslaved is on is skipping this state... though I'm not really a Dimmu Borgir fan...goes back to the not really being into symphonic black metal

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like anything that's catchy. Instead of genres, I am more into individual songs from a ridiculously wide spectrum. I like singles from Erasure, Shania Twain, the Bellamy Brothers, Donna Lewis, Sophie Hawkins, ABBA, Madonna, Sinead O'Connor, Enya, Eurythmics, Men Without Hats, Sugar Ray, etc.

Also individual Christian songs by Ginny Owens, Point of Grace, etc.

I can like an artist alot, but if they record a dud of a song, I will say it's a dud
Madonna's made quite a few duds. .....And, on the flip side, I can have a general dislike or indifference toward an artist, but if they record something catchy, I will gladly listen. Examples: Kasabian, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Nada Surf, Weezer, Phil Collins, Jay-Z, Mary J. Blige

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

I like anything that's catchy.
Catchy has different meanings to different people though. NorthernGlow and I would find songs catchy that would probably send most people running out of a room.
While prog fans idea of catchy would bore non-prog fans to sleep.

Talking to a friend online months ago and posted a link to him for Crack The Sky - Nuclear Apathy. I suggest you and others go look that song up on youtube (I can't paste the youtube link due to the language in the comments).
That's my idea of a catchy song, as is this one (I wish Evans hadn't disappeared after Deep Purple sued him
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trimph1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saw TD wwwaaaaaayy back in 1972--then seem them practically every other year since then
Other bands I saw were Godflesh, Painkiller( the one with John Zorn), Peter Brotzmann's various ensembles, Entombed, Sex Pistols(when they started touring in the US), Hawkwind, Misfits, Acid Mothers Temple, Gong with Daevid Allen, Steve Hillage with Sector 7----too many to even type out

Yeah, some groups I
did put out well naff pieces as well but the thing I like the most is that they go out on a limb--guys like Charles Gayle or Fred Anderson proved that every day.

One fellow that had me going
was Borah Bergman. Doing twin leads with both left and right hands--both melody lines going opposite directions--or all over the place.

Another musician I just
is Sun Ra. He had some stellar musicians in his bands/orchestras...