Favorite Graveyards?

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

I love walking through cemeteries. One of my favorites in the Chicago area is Mt. Carmel where Al Capone is buried. There's tons of opulent masoleums and an area with pictures of the person as they appeared deceased on the headstone. Creepy but cool!
Don't they have one in chicago where there are stories of the lady in white? I think that one is on haunted america site.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Skippymjp's thread got me to thinking about graveyards and, since it is the season, I wondered if anyone else likes old graveyards or has a favorite.
This one;

I took this shot from one of the artillery revetments of Ft Williams, and partially restored Civil War Fort in Glasgow, KY. The graveyard is the Glasgow Municipal Cemetery. A little to the right of the photo you can see a spire monument. That is the grave of General Joseph Lewis, who commanded Kentucky's famous "Orphan Brigade", so named because they did not surrender with Kentucky, but went south to fight with other confederate commands.

Here's where it gets interesting. Around Lewis' grave, are the graves of 9 Union soldiers, buried only 700 feet from where they made their gallant last stand. They all died defending the very spot that I took the picture from. The fort was attacked on October 6th, 1863. Unknown to the defenders of the fort, Col Hughes and his confederates captured a 50 man detachment from the fort that was camped at the Glasgow square, and also a 30 man patrol from the fort, over half his men. Hughes then attacked the fort directly, and it's commander, Major Martin, sent a rider toward Glasgow to summon the men that he didn't know were already prisoners. He told his men that that must hold until the reinforcements arrive.

People that visit the fort in the early evening have supposedly seen shadows that just seemed out of place, just out of the corner of their eye, just for a moment. And they're heard sounds such as pickets walking their posts, metallic clicks like a patch box or some such item. Even a cough now and then, like someone was fending off the cool October air.

They say that those brave 9 are there still, holding the fort, waiting for the detachment from Glasgow, that never came, and never will.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

Don't they have one in chicago where there are stories of the lady in white? I think that one is on haunted america site.
Yes, it's Resurrection Cemetery in the southwest side of Chgo. "Resurrection Mary" reportedly waits on the main road nearby, hitches a ride, and asks to be taken to the main cemetery gates, where she gets out of the car and disappears. My mother told me her cousin had once picked up Mary. I went on a bus tour of area "haunted" sites many years ago; it was very interesting!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Green Hill Cemetery in Bedford, Indiana is known for monuments done by local limestone artisans. The one I recall hearing most about is the one which is for a carver. It is his worktable exactly how he left it before the weekend he died.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are alot of graveyards in my area one a mile from my house and my grandparents on my dad's side are buried there and I love going there. Makes you feel out of place to read all of the old tombstones and a good deal of them are relatives of mine. There is one set of a husband and a wife and on the wife's it says murdered and on the husband's suicide and it makes you wonder what could have happened to cause such a horrible thing. And there is a grave of a kid I grew up with and his parents had his truck and everything carved on it and a picture of a boy riding his fourwheeler to the gates of heaven. And there is one in Paducah that I want to go see I have passed it before but never been into it. I remember I was with a friend and we drove by it and I had been looking at something and looked up and said this place is haunted and he looked at his girlfriend and see I told you so. Its near the murals on the river front and the old train engine that is on display by them but I don't know the name of the cemetary right off hand. But it is said to be very haunted possibly by something demonic

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

Yes, it's Resurrection Cemetery in the southwest side of Chgo. "Resurrection Mary" reportedly waits on the main road nearby, hitches a ride, and asks to be taken to the main cemetery gates, where she gets out of the car and disappears. My mother told me her cousin had once picked up Mary. I went on a bus tour of area "haunted" sites many years ago; it was very interesting!
My grandmother is actually buried there! I recall hearing the story, but didn't relate it to that cemetery.

My favorite is the original Boot Hill Cemetery in Deadwood Arizona. That was the town of the famous shoot out at OK Corral and they are all buried there. My favorite headstone (which is actually sold on a post card). Here lies Lester Moore. No Les, no more.

My second favorite is Arlington Cemetery. My grandfather is inurned there and I attended his service in 1996. I don't know if he got the service that he got because he was a full bird colonel, but they did the full marching band, horse drawn cason, the riderless horse with the boots in the stirrups, and the 21 gun salute. As I walked behind the parade, it was being videotaped by tourists. I would love to have a copy of those.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

This one;

I took this shot from one of the artillery revetments of Ft Williams, and partially restored Civil War Fort in Glasgow, KY. The graveyard is the Glasgow Municipal Cemetery. A little to the right of the photo you can see a spire monument. That is the grave of General Joseph Lewis, who commanded Kentucky's famous "Orphan Brigade", so named because they did not surrender with Kentucky, but went south to fight with other confederate commands.

Here's where it gets interesting. Around Lewis' grave, are the graves of 9 Union soldiers, buried only 700 feet from where they made their gallant last stand. They all died defending the very spot that I took the picture from. The fort was attacked on October 6th, 1863. Unknown to the defenders of the fort, Col Hughes and his confederates captured a 50 man detachment from the fort that was camped at the Glasgow square, and also a 30 man patrol from the fort, over half his men. Hughes then attacked the fort directly, and it's commander, Major Martin, sent a rider toward Glasgow to summon the men that he didn't know were already prisoners. He told his men that that must hold until the reinforcements arrive.

People that visit the fort in the early evening have supposedly seen shadows that just seemed out of place, just out of the corner of their eye, just for a moment. And they're heard sounds such as pickets walking their posts, metallic clicks like a patch box or some such item. Even a cough now and then, like someone was fending off the cool October air.

They say that those brave 9 are there still, holding the fort, waiting for the detachment from Glasgow, that never came, and never will.
Thank you so much for sharing this story and photo! This is just the kind of history that fascinated my father, and I've come to love it, too. My father always said that people aren't really dead as long someone remembers them... so it's good to keep these stories alive, I think.