Favorite fairly inexpensive cat litter?

tjkobol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What litter brands do you recommend trying for a new kitten?  I'm hoping for something on the inexpensive end, but also the litter box will be in my bedroom so I'm extremely interested in litters that help with odor. 

Thanks in advance!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my experience, the best litter for odor control is the Walnut shell based litter made by Blue Buffalo.  Yes, it appears expensive when you look at it, but it lasts a very long time if you scoop the solids and clumps out once or twice a day, and it doesn't hold odors.  We use this in our small cat condos at Petco and it works better than any other litter to keep odors down and make cleaning easy in that situation. 

If your kitten is already used to another kind of litter, you should mix the two together at first until he or she gets the message that this odd dark stuff is litter.  After that, you are home free. 

I do think you and your kitten will both be happiest with an UNSCENTED litter also. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The two that top my list are Fresh Step Extreme and Dr Elsey's Precious Cat

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29764776?...41547232&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78300476312&veh=sem

They are both great. They both clump like champs and are great with odor control. I have a litter box in my bedroom too. There are cheaper litters out there but you'll go through them faster and that will negate any savings. 

On the other end of the spectrum, the worst litters in my opinion are Paws and Claws from Tractor Supply Company (it's cheap BUT very, very, very dusty) and World's Best. While it clumped well, it does almost nothing for odor control and is quite expensive. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tjkobol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice guys!

I was at petco and needed to buy litter then and there cause I was about to bring kitten home, so I got litterally the only non-clumping litter they had. I don't like it, it doesn't say it's sceneted... but it also doesn't say unscented... and it definitely has a scent which I don't like. Thankfully it's not too strong and kitten is using his litter box like a champ, so I guess he doesn't mind either... but I won't be buying that brand again!! Once I switch to clumping, it looks like I'll have way more options.  I never realized how hard it was to find non-clumping litter!!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If non clumping is what you're looking for, go to Wal Mart. They have Fresh Step non clumping in various sizes. They also carry a litter called Kitty Diggins. It's in a green bag and it might be a house brand of their because I've never seen it anywhere else. You can get a 7 pound bag for .98 cents. I bought a bag recently and it's not bad. I use clumping litter so I'd never use that stuff on it's own but it's fragrance free for allergic and sensitive cats and I didn't find it dusty at all.

Here's a picture of it

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If there is a Tractor Supply Company store near you, you could try their store brand, Paws and Claws. It comes in both clumping and non-clumping forms. It's unscented and relatively low dust.

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does tidy cats count? I only use the small spaces version (seriously the only one that works) and can only find it on chewy... It's about $9 per 20lbs.