Fat on cats stomach?

ambernw1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one cat (she's maybe around 2 years, found her outside), had kittens in Feb. I didn't know she was pregnant when I found her and kept the babies. She was spayed in July, and then of course gained a bunch of weight. She is now a chonky lady, and has what I can describe as fat lumps down her stomach, starts at her chest and I can trace it down her stomach. It feels squishy, but is still lumpy, doesn't go in a straight line and it's on both sides of her abdomen. I'm thinking its fat but idk. She also has started to squeak instead of meow at times, mainly when she is laying down. I'm not sure if its allergies or not since she has been sneezing lately. We have been using a space heater so maybe that's affecting her. I'm mainly just worried about her lumpy belly.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, have you actually weighed her? You will want to start doing this every couple weeks. Is she getting canned food? It's better than dry for maintaining an appropriate weight.

Also, it's possible part of what you're seeing/feeling is her primordial pouch, under her tummy towards her back legs which would be normal.

All that said, I'm not sure that a cat that is truly fat/obese has lumpy fat?
Also, do you have a humidifier? Are the living quarters dusty? Is her litter dusty?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ambernw1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I try to get them dust free litter but it isn't always available, might need to start ordering it online. I do have a humidifier but haven't run it yet, I should set that up. She does have soft and hard food each day. It's not her primordial pouch, that's lower, I can feel it up her chest and stomach. I want to get weight management food, but its impossible to keep the kittens from eating it and they are a normal weight, but I am going to try to get some type of hard food that might help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
May be what is called lipomas, more common in overweight cats. Here is an article about them, if it helps any. Might have a vet feel them to see if they have any other ideas. I hate to even mention it, but if these lumps align with her nipples, it would be an especially good idea to have a vet take a look.
Cat Lipomas: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, and FAQs | PetMD