Fat Nursing Cat

scoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I frequently foster moms and babies. I have had this mother since the middle/end of her pregnancy and her kittens are now 3 weeks old. She has one of the steriotypical "fat, lazy, lap cat" personalities. Since all of my kitties are strays (many with parasites) I typically don't have the problem of a nursing/pregnant cat that is overweight. This mom likes to eat, doesn't like to move, and has gained quite a bit of weight with me. Since she is still nursing, I hate to put her on a diet or limit her food intake. Eventually, when her kittens start eating on their own, I will need to leave food out at all times anyways. I currently feed dry science diet and one can per day. She likes dry food and wet food (all food). Clearly when she is not nursing and spayed she will need to be put on a diet. What can I do in the meantime?

mike_sk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not an expert here, but I do have a bit of knowledge in human health. I'd say that for the time being to keep feeding the cat as you have been. The goal for now is not to slim the mother down but to provide enough calories to support the growing kittens. Her weight issue can be resolved after weaning. I would almost let her free feed on a high quality wet food while she is nursing.

Again, not an expert here but thats what I would do if I were in the same situation.