Fat lip?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes the rodent ulcers just disappear on their own, which might be what your vet is waiting for. If it doesn't within one week, I'd take Mika back to the vet (or to another vet). In the meantime, you could try the fish oil capsules, because they won't hurt him. Try to get salmon oil with omega fatty acids (sold wherever there are health care products) in 500 mg. capsules. Stick or slice a capsule (1 a day), and squeeze the oil out over Mika's food. You can give him one a day for 6 - 8 weeks, and might see improvement within that period. As I mentioned, I participate in a German EGC forum, and many members have achieved good results with the capsules alone, though the capsules combined with cortisone shots seem to work best in mild cases.
Jamie's lip ulcer disappeared about 8 days after the first cortisone shot. As I remember it, my vet tested cells to rule out herpes, and concluded from the negative results that it was EGC. His ulcer was really small, though - actually barely noticeable. I used to sponsor a shelter cat, Norman, who had recurrences about every six months. He was adopted almost a year and a half ago, and his "parents" put him on the "pill" on the advice of their vet, and he hasn't had a problem for almost a year. This is such a weird disorder. Some cats get an ulcer on their lips, others on their bodies, and some even get ulcers on their inner organs.

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Jcat and your vet. Steroids have side effects so if your vet doesn't feel treatment is necessary at this point I think that is a reasonable decision. I would watch it though and have it rechecked in 1-2 weeks if it does not go away, or immediately if it gets worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sooz123

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, we've been watching it closely and...

It went from that bump in the photo, which was centered a little to the left, pronounced and with a bit of pink coloration in the middle of his very black lip.

Now, the bump is not as pronounced and the pink is gone. It looks like it's centered in the middle of his lip now, but may be very slightly wider side to side than it was. It's very hard to see and tell if it's even an abnormality now, it just looks like a lip that's slightly larger than it was before. If I were seeing him for the first time I wouldn't even notice it.

I suppose this means it's healing on it's own? We have dutifully washed his now-ceramic water bowl every couple of days, and given him only filtered water. I wonder if that was it, after all...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully it is healing - it should disappear entirely to be sure, though. I'd really recommend the salmon oil capsules, which might be enough on their own to make it go away entirely.