Fat Cats

enkeli-kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cierron won't stay still long enough for me to weigh him o_O but he's pretty light. My biggest cat is Caspian, he's pretty chubby but I don't think obese. I don't want to put him on a diet because the other two are skinny and I can't feed them separate ^^

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

very well said

another thing that irritates me is that people just do not research what they are feeding their animals (let alone themselves many times). They feed them the equivalent of junk food and then wonder why they develop health issues. If people would just take a little time and research......many animals would be much better off. I'm sure many people love their animals- but they would get to enjoy soo many more years with them if they took the time to do a simple thing like making sure their food is appropriate for their health needs.
I don't think that is completely fair, because some (and probably many) obese cats are put on vet diets that perpetuate the problem, and people are researching by asking what should be an expert.

It takes a lot to say to a vet "no you are wrong in this and I am doing this" and I have changed vets over the decision.

A good point to remember is that every 1lb a cat is overweight is like 10-15lbs a human is overweight depending on the body shape of the cat. Also, from the literature I have from my vet, only 5-10% of the cats brought in as chubby / big etc are classed as slightly overweight, many owners say they are chubby when they are obese.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last time I weighted Limerick, he was at 20lbs!!! He down to 18 but needs to get down to 15.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the house cats at Animal Aid named Gizmo, he was a surrender from an elderly couple who couldn't look after him anymore, he's been there at least a few years now. I'm not sure if he was overweight when he was brought in, or if he got overfed by all the volunteers. He is nicknamed 'Speedhump' because he would lay out in the dirt driveway and look like a lump when cars came in giving you a look of "do you think i'm going to move??"
he weighed a TONNE!! And the long fur didn't make him look any slimmer. He also had a temper. I mean, lunchtimes i'd sit outside the cattery and give him a lap and scritches, but if you wiggled a foot or a finger too much you'd lose it

I never knew his weight, but i'd say he looked this size (but with long thick fur) http://69.89.25.199/~tomatona/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/fat1.jpg

karebearcasey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i think maybe 20 punds, but she was a petite little thing so her belly practically rubbed against the ground. she was afraid of her own shadow so it was hard to exercise her. she lived to be 18 years old. my damian i think is 16 pounds (i'm so bad, we were just at the vet and i forget already) and he told me that damian was fat and needed to lose weight. i said, hey, he's not fat, he's fluffy (he's a domestic long hair) lol. i can only control what he eats inside, he's a hunter on the outside! he slims down every winter because his poor prescious feet don't like the cold, lol, so he stays inside the whole time so no mice in his diet. once spring comes, he gets fat again.

meow me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Born in Sao Paulo, Brazil, living in Miami, FL for
I took Theodora to the annual vaccines just today, she is 18.3 lbs.
She does have a lot of skin hanging from her belly that makes it look like it is almost rubbing the floor ! ;-)
Although I keep her on w/d as her everyday diet, her doc thinks she is ok.
I have 2 kittens in the house who eat kitty food, and Theo manages to steal some almost everyday.... I guess she will lose a couple of pounds when she doesn't have the extra treat to steal.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bootsie, the cat we had when I was growing up, weighed about 28 pounds. He was the runt of a litter of barn cats. He lived to be 22 1/2 years old! After Bootsie, all of my kitties have been rather petite. Spooky was 6 pounds at her heaviest. Lola weighs 7.2 pounds, Maggie is 7.8 pounds and Cleo is my tubby at 11.4 pounds. I have a digital baby scale that I weigh them on weekly. With two renal failure kitties, it's important to stay on top of their weights!