Fat cat

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Scotty aka poot is a picky eater we have tried so many different wet foods I've cooked him meat I've tried uncooked meat all he wants is dry food he's fat I want him to loose this weight so bad I don't wanna loose him help I need some suggestions

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you very gradually decrease the amount he's getting?
Can you post a photo of him, from above when he's standing or walking?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you free feed him or feed him at scheduled times? If you free feed him, the first thing you need to do is get him on scheduled meals. Here is how to do that:

Next, you can try the things in this article to see if they work to switch him over to wet food.

I was able to switch four cats over from free feeding dry food to eating scheduled meals of wet food, and one of those cats is the pickiest eater I have ever seen. But whether or not you ever transition him to wet food, in order to get him to lose weight, he needs to eat fewer calories. Preferable feed him a food with low carbs so the calories he does eat will be more filling for a cat, since what they need is protein, not vegies, wheat, corn, etc. That will help him feel full longer. And if you can, feed him more than two meals per day. Three or four would be good. Also, play with him so he gets more exercise. Just like us humans, less calories and more exercise is the way to get in shape.

If you can tell us more about him, how active he is, how much he weighs, how much he SHOULD way, we can help you with how many calories he should be eating each day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you free feed him or feed him at scheduled times? If you free feed him, the first thing you need to do is get him on scheduled meals. Here is how to do that:

[/URL]

Next, you can try the things in this article to see if they work to switch him over to wet food.

[/URL]

I was able to switch four cats over from free feeding dry food to eating scheduled meals of wet food, and one of those cats is the pickiest eater I have ever seen. But whether or not you ever transition him to wet food, in order to get him to lose weight, he needs to eat fewer calories. Preferable feed him a food with low carbs so the calories he does eat will be more filling for a cat, since what they need is protein, not vegies, wheat, corn, etc. That will help him feel full longer. And if you can, feed him more than two meals per day. Three or four would be good. Also, play with him so he gets more exercise. Just like us humans, less calories and more exercise is the way to get in shape.

If you can tell us more about him, how active he is, how much he weighs, how much he SHOULD way, we can help you with how many calories he should be eating each day.
He gets a little bit of kibble and a little bit of wet food but he doesn’t eat the whole thing

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the amount of wet food we throw away he doesn’t eat

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think I'd be too concerned. He could lose a little bit, maybe a half pound, but that could be accomplished with more exercise.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
He does go outside I try to play with him but he’s not interested he will lay down and play like I’ll put a mouse game on the tv from you tube. What is some good stuff to get him motivated

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think I'd be too concerned. He could lose a little bit, maybe a half pound, but that could be accomplished with more exercise.
His breathing is what I’m worried about too

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At a member's suggestion, I got a scale (I got Greater Goods Digital Pet scale from Amazon)..the BEST thing I ever did to keep track of my ckd cat's weight. I thought she was overweight and she was not! I was afraid of her gaining too much. She may not be overweight at all!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We still need more details. If he has breathing issues, then he should really see a Vet. They will be able to tell you how much he weighs, and how much he SHOULD weigh. AND most importantly, what is happening with his breathing. If he is seeming short of breath, he should be seen as soon as possible.

As far as your pictures go, I do think he is overweight, but not a huge amount. It's really hard to tell because the best way to to see them directly from above, not from the side, and not when they are all scrunched up like in the 2nd picture.

When you said you give him a "little bit of kibble", how much is that, is it available all the time, and what kind of kibble (brand, etc). It's not really unusual for a cat who is indoor/outdoor to not eat all their food since they could be catching prey outside and eating it. Or other people may be feeding him too! Is that possible with him or do you watch him while he's outside to know exactly what he's up to? Or it could be he doesn't like the wet food he is being presented. But whatever is happening, we still need more information in order to help you with his weight, AFTER his Vet visit for the breathing.