Fat Cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I got home today I noticed that (a) the ball wasn't where I had left it and (b) there appeared to be less food in it than there had been in the morning.

As I sat here firing up the computer, I saw him poke at the ball and scarf up the kibble that fell out.

So, I think he's finally got it. I'm guessing that when he got hungry he could smell the food inside, gave it a push with his paw, and when some food fell out some connection was formed inside the feline equivalent of a brain.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two (well perhaps 3) of my 4 cats were overweight. I found out a cat needs 30 calories per pound to maintain it's weight and less to lose weight. I measured out 1/3 for my way overweight cat and 2/3 for my other 2. I feed them several times a day (just dry) and a teaspoon or less each time.

They HAVE lost weight!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Too early to see any effect on Zane the Insane, Cat of Tiny Brain, but (a) he is getting food, just not as much of it and (b) is getting more physical and mental (?) exercise.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is working! I see him batting at the ball with his paw, then following it and scarfing up the bits of kibble. I'm not positive, but I think he's thinner and he's certainly more active.

Short term verdict: Working.

He's going back to the vet at the beginning of July for a teeth cleaning, so we'll see what happens then.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenwales

...he eats 1 5.5 oz can of cat food per day (1/2 in the AM, the rest in the evening).
Are you sure this is healthy? For a 19 lb kitty this is about 1/2 of what he should be eating! IMO this is way too drastic of a diet... I am sorry I need to put this bluntly, but IMHO you are starving your kitty.

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Are you sure this is healthy? For a 19 lb kitty this is about 1/2 of what he should be eating! IMO this is way too drastic of a diet... I am sorry I need to put this bluntly, but IMHO you are starving your kitty.
that is actually what my 24 lb cat eats - well, he is down to about 20-21 lbs now and it is what my vet said to feed him for his weight. the vet said he needs around 220 cal/day to lose weight and that is what i feed. he eats one 5.5 oz can a day, or 1/2 a 13 oz can, depending on the calories. i can't just feed any old can, i have to make sure that he gets at least 220 cal. he is not losing fast, he is going down about 1/4-1/2 lb a month and he is more active and happier which makes me happier!

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

You just have to remember that those 1/2-1 ounce per pound feeding amounts are just guidelines (also, I think they're meant to be calculated using ideal weight, not current). What matters is the effect it has on the cat. When I first started Tiny on a diet, I would have thought 1 can / day was insane too, but I'm actually feeding her 3/4 of a can per day right now. I know I'm not starving her because I weigh her every day and she's losing just a bit over 1% per week. Some cats just don't exercise much or have slower metabolisms naturally, so they need a lot less food.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Monster was heavier than most at one point. Even now, everyone who sees him for the first time says "WOW! That is one BIG cat!". I think he looks a lot bigger than he really is, because his fur is long and poofy. Anyway, I knew he was heavier than he was supposed to be. I cut out the dry food. I did that because he ate so much of it and I was worried about crystals forming in his urinary tract. My bf's family lost their cat that way. So, I gradually cut out the dry food, even though he LOVES it. It was hard to do, he still comes whenever he hears a sound similar to shaking dry food sounds like. I haven't fed either of mine dry food in about 4 months, I just started buying more wet food, and upped the feedings. Now they each get 1/4 of a 5.5 oz can every few hours. If I'm not here when its time to eat, someone else in my house feeds them. Monster has lost a few lbs since cutting out dry, and Mittens even looks a little leaner too (They were both a lil cubby). Plus, I think wet food is a ton healthier than dry anyway. Also, I don't see either drinking very often, and so I know they are getting enough moisture from the gravy in the wet.