"Fat Cat Photos" Page

maiseycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to post this in the opinion section, but I don't have enough posts to post there yet. I found this page on the local news station's website: http://www.nbc4i.com/family/8769807/detail.html. I find it to be rather disturbing. I may be sensitive when it comes to pet issues, but I find that this sort of thing encourages obesity in pets. My cat was overweight for awhile, but it's not something I took pride in. I stopped free-feeding, and she got back to a normal weight. This is not a place I expected to find such a thing. But, I rarely go to the NBC4 website, so what do I know? BTW - there is a story on there about a two-faced cat born in Grove City. They're saying it's not nursing - poor thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maiseycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hell603

I have sent them an e-mail - let's see if they respond!
Let me know if they do! I'm thinking of emailing them myself.

Lilleah - Have you seen some of these cats, though? They're very overweight, and cannot be in good condition at those weights. I don't know if any of them are "photoshopped," but even so, I don't like the image it is portraying. You wouldn't post pictures of your overweight kids and brag about them, would you? I've never seen a "fat kids" photo page. Why is it ok with pets? In fact, news stations like this are always doing stories about obesity in children, how children need to get in shape to avoid diabetes and high blood pressure, etc.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilleah

Actually...
I like fat cats. I personally dont think it is promoting over-feeding in any way.
I wouldnt mind seeing a bunch of fat cat pictures somewhere.

In fact..We have alot of fat cats here.
here
and here
the list goes on and on
I agree..I don't think that are really promoting it....

I also like fats cats, I just don't like it when people try to have fat cats and over feed their cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maiseycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alaynna

I agree..I don't think that are really promoting it....

I also like fats cats, I just don't like it when people try to have fat cats and over feed their cats.
See, I think that a photo page showcasing fat cats is encouraging people to do just what you stated. I've also seen tabloids showing fat cats on the front covers, so I hope this is not becoming a trend. This is just my opinion, though.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maiseycat

See, I think that a photo page showcasing fat cats is encouraging people to do just what you stated. I've also seen tabloids showing fat cats on the front covers, so I hope this is not becoming a trend. This is just my opinion, though.
I understand and I can see where your coming from

kittylova

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Go to petfinder.com. my zip is 37042. look at this one cat called Lexi. she is big!!!!!! that is the place I voltter at. They did not do this to the cat. her owner did this.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maiseycat

Let me know if they do! I'm thinking of emailing them myself.

Lilleah - Have you seen some of these cats, though? They're very overweight, and cannot be in good condition at those weights. I don't know if any of them are "photoshopped," but even so, I don't like the image it is portraying. You wouldn't post pictures of your overweight kids and brag about them, would you? I've never seen a "fat kids" photo page. Why is it ok with pets? In fact, news stations like this are always doing stories about obesity in children, how children need to get in shape to avoid diabetes and high blood pressure, etc.
Well I didnt see any of the pics. I just clicked on the site you gave, and seen that they were asking for pics of fat cats. And that's what I based my reply upon. Just the fact that they were asking for pics of fat cats didnt bother me one bit. I've actually seen some Maury shows, about how some kids parents are fine/happy about thier kids being fat. Sometimes it's just in all who you are. Part of life.
Fat cats are no different then fat kids. Oh well. They're fat. But they are still cute. Some cat and or Kids are just ment to be fat. Maybe it's in them to BE fat. Some childeren are born with that. Same with cats.
I dont think that any pics of fat cats portray what happens with thier feeding. You would need to speak with thier owners & find that out.
All I'm saying..
Pictures of fat cats dont tell a story about how they are fed. Maybe they are just fat.
AND fat cats arent something to get all mad about. Especially if it's a Television station simply asking for some picutres.
-Done
Sorry-had to get it out. Mostly because...Kipper is FAT. He isnt over-fed. And the vet says he just fine. He is another normal cat. Just bigger.

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think lil fat kitties are adorable. Our whole crew is rather boney and I worry about them alot. Id like to see them with a little bit of meat on their bones. I am hoping it is because they are all young and they will beef up with age. What if they did get sick and lost weight...there wouldnt be much to loose. eek

However I also feel sorry for some fat cats and I think owners should be a little more responsible and watch for the point where you should say enough is enough.

Hopefully a responsible pet owner wouldnt feed their cat for a popularity contest. Anyone who would do that isnt a responsible pet owner in the first place so I think food is the last issue we should worry about. I think most of the normal folks looking at this will look laugh and then continue on as usual with their furbabies.

meowsas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have 3 very fat cats nearby. One I have seen arrive as a perfectly heathly kitten and is now as round as he is long. they cannot run properly. I do not understand why all three are like this. I am starting to think the owners are doing it on purpose. even then I don't really understand. My cats fed on demand and are slinky.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Stormysmom

However I also feel sorry for some fat cats and I think owners should be a little more responsible and watch for the point where you should say enough is enough.

Hopefully a responsible pet owner wouldnt feed their cat for a popularity contest. Anyone who would do that isnt a responsible pet owner in the first place so I think food is the last issue we should worry about. I think most of the normal folks looking at this will look laugh and then continue on as usual with their furbabies.
Exzactly. Precise!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like my kitties to have a little meat on their bones, but I know when to draw the line. If my kitty would start to get a little to big for their health, then i would put them on a diet, I've had to do this in the past. Yeah, fat cats may be cute, but they're usually not healthy, same with kids. Why would you be happy to have a fat child or cat when there are many health problems in their future? that makes no sense to me
And big cats are very different from fat cats, my sister's cat is a monster, probably weighs at least 18 lbs, but he's not fat, just pure muscle. Just MO

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plus the argument can be said that humans are not suppose to be fat either. But sometimes our body chemistry gets in the way of that.
For example, when B and I first moved in with each, his cat Beauty was a 1/2 inch away from dragging on the ground. The weirdest part about it? You NEVER saw her eat. Now I have helped her lose weight (changed the cats diets slightly and began to give them wet food a little more often). She's still big, but she looks a little more pro-portioned.

I'm not promoting to overfeed your cats, BUT we are a society of "large portions". The Large is the new Medium. Everything is supersized...so we eat a lot and so we reflect that habit onto our animals.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess all we can do is hope that some owners don't decide to overfeed their cats for the website.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also read somewhere that the Guiness record book doesn't take entries for biggest cat anymore because people were overfeeding their cats just to get in the book
Never underestimate the stupidity of an animal owner