Fasting times for kitten

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

My kitten Oshi is going to be neutered next week and he will be exactly 14 weeks old. The vet nurse told me to fast him after midnight so about 9 hours but I have read many article saying that kittens under 4 months only need to fast 4 hours before surgery and some other articles say not to fast at all for kittens that age. I will call the vet to double check but what is the general consensus?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call to confirm, but i would feed him a really good meal as close to midnight as you can and then nothing until after the surgery. I have fed cats within 2 hours of returning home, as long as they are alert. They are ravenous. The biggest problem is just like with human surgery, I have had MANY patients throw up when still unconscious from the effects of the anesthesia, and having food in the stomach is a real risk of aspiration. They are unconscious so cannot get it out of their throats and mouths, and cannot swallow, so it can easily get into the lungs.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Call to confirm, but i would feed him a really good meal as close to midnight as you can and then nothing until after the surgery. I have fed cats within 2 hours of returning home, as long as they are alert. They are ravenous. The biggest problem is just like with human surgery, I have had MANY patients throw up when still unconscious from the effects of the anesthesia, and having food in the stomach is a real risk of aspiration. They are unconscious so cannot get it out of their throats and mouths, and cannot swallow, so it can easily get into the lungs.
Agree!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. At the cat hospital I worked at we only had them fast a few hours prior. But do call your vet and ask since you want them to be comfortable with when he eats. It also depends on what anesthetic is used, as some can make them vomit

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, if any one brings feral cats in, you cant know when they last ate something. Just make sure the vet knows this so they can monitor!