Fast-cooking a pork roast before slow-cooking it to save time?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Let me explain why I want to do this.

Twice a month, I cook for a Bingo game ; we sell the food to augment our auxiliary's funds, which get used for charity. We start serving food at 5:00 PM ; the game starts at 6:30. Most players like to order and eat before the game. I can't get in the building until around 3:00 PM.  I cannot legally cook the food at home.  I want to make slow-cooked barbecue pulled pork sandwiches in my slow cooker, which normally takes about 6-7 hours. The meat is boneless. I bought them a tabletop oven, which also can be used as a convection oven, which cooks up to 25% faster. It also has a spit for a rotisserie. We don't have a normal oven, but do have a smallish microwave. I would like to step up the speed of cooking so the roast technically is fully-cooked, and then put it in the barbecue sauce in the slow-cooker until the orders come in. Pork must be cooked to doneness to prevent making people sick.  How do you suggest I do this? Microwave it first? 

What I plan to do after this one time: cook it during the game, but not serve it that week, and freeze the shredded pork for another dinner special. I just am anxious to cook and serve it this week, as I think they will love it.

I'm sitting here, smelling the barbecue-y deliciousness of my prototype roast (at home). We're taste-testing it, and I'll keep the left-overs for DH to eat during the week, then it will be time to do it for real next Saturday!

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
No I didn't.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Old thread I know, but I highly recommend investing in an electric pressure cooker.  I can make a pot of beef stew in 25 minutes.  Cook a whole chicken in I think 35 minutes, 45 minutes if it's frozen.

You could easily cook the roast until almost done in about 30 minutes and then put it into the oven to brown.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Old thread I know, but I highly recommend investing in an electric pressure cooker.  I can make a pot of beef stew in 25 minutes.  Cook a whole chicken in I think 35 minutes, 45 minutes if it's frozen.

You could easily cook the roast until almost done in about 30 minutes and then put it into the oven to brown.
  One of the handiest small appliances I think we ever bought was our electric pressure cooker. It has saved me many, many times, especially when I forget to take something out of the freezer for dinner. I think I'd be leery of a stove top cooker, but these electric ones are so easy to use.

We have a pressure canner, too, that I use outside on the side burner of the grill. I use it to can my red onions with honey.