FARS (feline audiogenic reflex seizures) - advice needed!!!

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Posting on behalf of my friends friend

Hi guys, my cat who is around 15-16 years old has FARS. I take her to a vet that practices both alternative and modern medicines and currently is on pressure meds and CBD oil to alleviate her discomfort.

I have not been to another vet yet because I am worried that such vets will put her under strong medications resulting in horrible side effects.

However, her condition is not looking good at present and I am very worried.

If you have any experience on this issue, please share!

What treatment is / was your cat going through and were there any unmanageable side effects?

Or if any other advice, please do let me know.

Thank you all for your help <3

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have experience with this but I feel like her quality of life would still be better on the medication. The side effects I'm seeing on the medications that come up for this do not seem to be concerning enough to avoid it unless she has other complicating factors. Talk to your vet, ask what happens if there are serious side effects, can they go off of it if it doesn't work out, how long will side effects last after she goes off the medication, etc.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. No experience either, but I will still offer what I do know. It doesn't sound like your friend's cat is getting enough relief from the current drug regimen, from what I understand of the comments. So, why not try something else that might give better relief?

I realize it seems the 'go to' drug is phenobarbital, but another more recent one is levetiracetam, which appears to have less overall side effects. Your friend could ask their vet for a consult with a specialty group that staffs a neurologist or a vet university to see what options do exist and what their specialized experience can provide in terms of the most effective meds with the least side effects.

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For me personally I would put my cat on traditional medicine! I had a cat who had seizures! He was resting on a cat tree and fell off while in a seizure, hit the side of his neck on a glass coffee table, and died! (broken neck) Needless to say I was heartbroken, and still think about not seeking traditional medicine for him many times! That was 8 years ago!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, just wanna let you all know my friend really appreciates all yo9ru help and advice in this! Love this place, thank you for assisting fellow cat owners everywhere!

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, just wanna let you all know my friend really appreciates all yo9ru help and advice in this! Love this place, thank you for assisting fellow cat owners everywhere!
Just glad we could hopefully make both kitty and it's mama feel better!