Farewell my Stumpy girl

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We brought Stumpy home on 5 June 2006 as a foster after she had been hit by a car. Her pelvis was fractured with a couple of small breaks, and she had a broken tail which had been amputated.

She rested for 2 1/2 weeks at the shelter, then came home with me, and worked her way into my heart. Despite her injuries she was such a sweet girl, and would always run to greet us at the bedroom door, with her back legs swaying all over the place from her injuries. Keeping her quiet was near impossible.

Over the next 3 1/2 years she showed her impish side, chewing on every cable she could - mostly when she was annoyed at not getting enough attention and would chew on the cable closest to where we were sitting. She would tear around the house like a maniac, leap up walls, climb all over our dining chairs scratching them to no end, and go sliding across our wooden dining table, well and truly leaving her mark. She drove the other cats nuts, because she just wanted to play constantly, and her version of play is like WWF wrestling, whereas Smudge and Lily's version of play is like slap and run. She would get everywhere she wasn't supposed to, and make it clear when she wanted to play. She was such a naughty girl

But she was also the sweetest, most intuitive cat I'd ever met. She was not a lap cat, and hated being picked up. She would follow me around all day at home, wherever I was, Stumpy was sure to be. Whenever I was sick, she would come and sit by me purring away. When I had my open heart surgery, she would lie by my chest and purr, like she was trying to heal me. After we lost our baby, anytime I would get upset at home, she would come running from wherever she was in the house, and come and curl up next to me and purr. She just KNEW when something was wrong, and would want to try and fix it. I have never met a cat as intuitive as Stumpy, she was my healer. She also protected me. I hate when DH is away, but when he was, she would sleep on the bed with me rather than in her bed by our door. If she heard a funny noise during the day outside, she would run to the front door growling

Whenever we came home, she would run to her Alpine Scratcher by the front door and scratch on it in greeting. If she wanted a pat, she would walk up to us, and roll over, show us her belly and purrrrrrrrrr until she got a belly rub.

I will miss her so much. She was such a good companion, and she did not deserve to be taken so soon.

Apparently she had a major underlying heart problem, which could not have been picked up in her annual check ups or through her blood work, and she would have never have had a long life, despite the fact she looked so healthy. Putting her in the kennel put just enough stress on her little body, and caused her to go into acute heart failure. 24 hours of oxygen therapy and medication were not helping enough, and caused her to also go into kidney failure. She was depressed, and exhausted and hadn't really eaten for almost 6 days by this stage, and not being able to give her the required medication to help her be able to breathe properly due to her kidney failure were enough for hubby and I to make the very difficult decision to have her euthanised immediately rather than trying to keep her going for another 3 days before DH or I could get back from our trip back to Australia.

It was such a shock for such a young, healthy cat to go into such sudden heart failure and not be able to do anything, or be there for her. We were lucky to have an amazing neighbour who brought her home from the kennel and noticed something wasn't right, and got her to the vet ASAP, and was there for her when she crossed the bridge. Stumpy knew we loved her, and had a good friend to her by her side.

We will miss her crazy antics, and her absence will be greatly felt and greatly missed.

Rest in peace Stumpy, you were such a good friend.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwwwww Stumpy

Have a lovely time at rainbow bridge
Your certainly one gorgeous little angel they've opened their gates to

I remember the first time i saw that picture of her on the wall, and i fell for her then

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute to your sweet girl Sarah.

Always in your heart...
Stumpy

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you and Andrew and the girls
Stumpy will be dearly missed here at TCS...the first pic you posted was the one that made me fall in love with Stumpy, I love that pose

RIP sweet girl

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry for your loss, you gave her such a wonderful life, feel proud of that. R.I.P gorgeous girl. xxxxxx

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, sweet lovely girl! Lots of playmates and butterflies to chase at the Bridge, but don't forget to watch over your Mum and Dad and kitty sisters, who miss you so much.

RIP sweet Stumpy

Andrew and Sarah

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Sarah, I am so very sorry for your loss... She was so beautiful and so young

RIP pretty girl - watch over your mommy and daddy... they miss you...

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for sharing such a beautiful tribute, Sarah. Stumpy was a truly gorgeous, special girl. My heart goes out to you guys during this difficult time.
RIP sweet Stumpy.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Sarah, I am very sorry

I rarely come into this forum, but I didn't want to see that you lost Stumpy and not say something.

Stumpy was a beauty, and may she rest in peace

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sitting her bawling my eyes out. So many times I see a cats name here and wonder if it's the cat I've been seeing for so long on the boards. Many of those times I click to find it is a cat I am maybe not so familiar with.

But Stumpy... I had hoped it wasn't Stumpy Girl in this sub forum. My heart is breaking for you and your family Sarah. To be away from her would just kill me inside. It is good she had a friend at her side.

Beautiful Stumpy, play happily over the Bridge, little one, free from ailments, free from pain.

~A

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry about Stumpy.
I am crying also.

I was hoping she would make it.
Alot of people I know on facebook have said to tell you they are sorry.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, Sarah!
I'm crying my eyes out. What a beautiful tribute to such a beautiful little girl. Her life was indeed too short. You will be greatly missed by your mom, dad, kitty sisters, and everyone at TCS. Rest In Peace, sweet Stumpy.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

We brought Stumpy home on 5 June 2006 as a foster after she had been hit by a car. Her pelvis was fractured with a couple of small breaks, and she had a broken tail which had been amputated.

She rested for 2 1/2 weeks at the shelter, then came home with me, and worked her way into my heart. Despite her injuries she was such a sweet girl, and would always run to greet us at the bedroom door, with her back legs swaying all over the place from her injuries. Keeping her quiet was near impossible.

Over the next 3 1/2 years she showed her impish side, chewing on every cable she could - mostly when she was annoyed at not getting enough attention and would chew on the cable closest to where we were sitting. She would tear around the house like a maniac, leap up walls, climb all over our dining chairs scratching them to no end, and go sliding across our wooden dining table, well and truly leaving her mark. She drove the other cats nuts, because she just wanted to play constantly, and her version of play is like WWF wrestling, whereas Smudge and Lily's version of play is like slap and run. She would get everywhere she wasn't supposed to, and make it clear when she wanted to play. She was such a naughty girl

But she was also the sweetest, most intuitive cat I'd ever met. She was not a lap cat, and hated being picked up. She would follow me around all day at home, wherever I was, Stumpy was sure to be. Whenever I was sick, she would come and sit by me purring away. When I had my open heart surgery, she would lie by my chest and purr, like she was trying to heal me. After we lost our baby, anytime I would get upset at home, she would come running from wherever she was in the house, and come and curl up next to me and purr. She just KNEW when something was wrong, and would want to try and fix it. I have never met a cat as intuitive as Stumpy, she was my healer. She also protected me. I hate when DH is away, but when he was, she would sleep on the bed with me rather than in her bed by our door. If she heard a funny noise during the day outside, she would run to the front door growling

Whenever we came home, she would run to her Alpine Scratcher by the front door and scratch on it in greeting. If she wanted a pat, she would walk up to us, and roll over, show us her belly and purrrrrrrrrr until she got a belly rub.

I will miss her so much. She was such a good companion, and she did not deserve to be taken so soon.

Apparently she had a major underlying heart problem, which could not have been picked up in her annual check ups or through her blood work, and she would have never have had a long life, despite the fact she looked so healthy. Putting her in the kennel put just enough stress on her little body, and caused her to go into acute heart failure. 24 hours of oxygen therapy and medication were not helping enough, and caused her to also go into kidney failure. She was depressed, and exhausted and hadn't really eaten for almost 6 days by this stage, and not being able to give her the required medication to help her be able to breathe properly due to her kidney failure were enough for hubby and I to make the very difficult decision to have her euthanised immediately rather than trying to keep her going for another 3 days before DH or I could get back from our trip back to Australia.

It was such a shock for such a young, healthy cat to go into such sudden heart failure and not be able to do anything, or be there for her. We were lucky to have an amazing neighbour who brought her home from the kennel and noticed something wasn't right, and got her to the vet ASAP, and was there for her when she crossed the bridge. Stumpy knew we loved her, and had a good friend to her by her side.

We will miss her crazy antics, and her absence will be greatly felt and greatly missed.

Rest in peace Stumpy, you were such a good friend.

When I first saw this I thought "Surely it can't be Sarah's Stumpy!" My thoughts are with you and your family. She's a beautiful girl. RIP Stumpy

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Play happily over the Rainbow Bridge, Stumpy.
Dory will miss staring adoringly at your pictures.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sarah, i'm so sorry you lost precious Stumpy, especially while you weren't there.
Stumpy certainly had a wonderful caring home with you and you gave her a good life, short though it was.