Farewell My Friend...

thanatos0042

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Greetings,

I come bearing more sad tidings tidings to this forum and further add to the record so our beloved companions are never forgotten.

Previous goodbye post for Mal:
Another Story To Add...

He was a papa kitty for many of our other cats and rescues.

His name is, was, Morpheus. Named after the Greek God of Dreams (we have a theme in our house...we even have a Loki).

He was a silver spotted Bengal and he was 14 years old.

We put him to sleep just an hour or so ago. He had been losing weight regularly for the past 6 months or so, despite getting good checkups from the vet. Multiple vets looked at him and thought he probably had cancer, but by the time we got to that, he was already pretty thin and we decided we didn't want to keep stressing him with vet trips.

He hung on for awhile, but he caught a cold from somewhere and started to have a hard time breathing and then he stopped eating, after 2 and 1/2 days, he had decided it was time and we agreed with him.

He went quickly and the attending vet though that he was very weak and barely hanging on.

Morpheus was a good cat, except for an odd habit of spraying the pantry door and front door. He played with his fuzzy mice, he became a lap cat as he got older, he constantly stole my computer chair when I got up for some reason, he groomed and took care of kittens we brought into the house and tolerated them when they got older and idolized him. He will probably only not be missed by MY cat Jynx. She hated him, he would just stare at her and drive her insane. She would bat at him anytime he was near - unless they were sharing a plate of food. Connoisseurs of cat food could put aside their differences for a few minutes it seems.

He is loved, he will be missed by more than me and my roommates.

Now, I am off to find comfort food, single malt scotch, a big box of Kleenex and will put away my man card for a bit to mourn him.

Goodbye Morpheus...I hope you're running wild with both Mal and Ashe now. Until we meet again my old friend.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Here are some images:

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As a life long farmer, I have had to make thousands upon thousands of decisions. Some of them with hundreds of thousands of dollars riding on them. Without a doubt however, some of the most difficult decisions that I have ever made were those times that I had to make the call to put one of the family cats down. They are never easy to make.

I am sorry for the loss of such a fine cat and good friend, but be at peace knowing that you made the right call in letting Morpheus cross that rainbow bridge. I know just how difficult that was to do, and you are a brave soul for letting him go.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Rest in eternal peace, Morpheus. You were loved and now we, especially your human, mourn your passing. May you are finally reunited with Mal & Ashe now, running around in an endless fields of grass and blooms.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have nothing to regret, you let Morpheus live a wonderful and happy life and he's been a cat to the bone.
And you don't have to feel ashamed if you're crying though being a man. I'm a man and cried a lot, and am still crying after two years.

I too turned to some drink after the huge pain that hit me, no matter how one feels strong, such pains make us weak and tiny.

RIP Morpheus, you'll be the king of dreams at the Bridge!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful tribute to such a wonderful cat! It sounds like he lived a full life full of love and companionship, and even excitement by provoking Jynx. But he was ready to go, to find release from his earthly ties and to soar across the heavens, to appear in the dreams of his loved ones, to be immortal in their thoughts and love.
The bond you formed with that boy will always be with you. Love is spiritual, so eternal. "death cannot take that which never dies", and the love you have for each other will live on. He will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers, and you know that that precious cat would never want you to be so sad for long. He only wants happiness and joy in the lives of those he loves, just as you would want for those you love if you were the first to go.
He follows a new path now, he contributed to the lives of all that knew and loved him. Although it hurts so very much to not have him in your life physically, to have never met him at all would have been a tragic loss to the soul. Hold his legacy of love in your heart and add to it. In this way you keep him alive and bring him peace. Take care, and thank you for letting the world know of this boy so he may be mourned fro by many as he so deserves......RIP beautiful Morpheus. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know how hard this is. I have faced it more than once and it is always hard and very painful. After the first 2 I vowed I would not get another cat. But, I always caved and got another wonderful buddy. They can't totaly fill the hole that is left but, they distract you from the pain and before you know it, the void is filled again.

I am so sorry for your loss.:(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Morpheus, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

This is what I have learned in a long life...love does not die, it only changes form and continues on, still Love. And Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides. Morpheus will never truely leave you, his Love abides.

My father would tell you that the BIGGEST, BRAVEST man card there is is the one that is strong enough to weep for the loss of a friend. Play that card with love and pride.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we hurt just like anyone else male or female when we lose one of our little friends, it sounds like he had a great life here but was ready to go, you did the right albeit hardest thing to do, it feels at times as if you too will die and don't half care if you do, but with time that feeling subsides a bit but it sure hurts something awful for awhile.

I am sorry you lost your little friend but he is just fine now...

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanatos0042

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your kind words and support. I really appreciate them. Obviously, I have gone through this many times through my life and will go through it more with the cats we still have.

My roommate and I rescue abandoned and feral cats and so over the years, we've collected more than a few permanent furry companions when we couldn't find home for them.

For me, making that decision always racks me with guilt on if I am doing the right thing or giving up all home. Even if I'm sure it's what must be done, it still fills me with those doubts.

I know, we all die, our companions die...death has been a companion of mine since I was very young and my own mortality isn't anything I am scared of. But I have always hated having to say goodbye, even though I know it's only for awhile. I just hate the forced changes and the afterwards and the little things you really notice when a companion is gone.

I had a bird once, I talked to him constantly and he rode around on my shoulder. After he passed, I found I talked to myself quite a bit lol.

Anyway, again. Thank you all for beautiful words that made me cry again. They are comforting, even if they hurt a bit.

and keep us in your thoughts...I have an 11 year old girl, Eva...who is sick right now. She has the same thing that ultimately took the life of Mal and hopefully the vet's can find out what it is...she's a chubby girl so she is holding out better than poor Mal did thanks to that.