FancyFeast = McDonalds?

moonpie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bunnelina

What flavors would those be? Mine only like certain Fancy Feast fish flavors. I'm having the same problem as other people: I try to give them healthier canned food and they want nothing to do with it — the 2nd or 3rd time. This is after I've gotten excited when they ate it the first time, and stocked up! I never learn.... but I'm curious to know if some FF flavors are healthier than others.
The magic flavors at my house are:

Savory Salmon (classic pate-style, orange can)
Tender Beef (classic pate-style, brown can)
Turkey & Giblets (classic pate-style, "pea" green can)

I *think* these are some of the least offensive, ingredient-wise, and are the only flavors they'll eat with any regularity.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

You have to read the labels. Most contain some form of artificial ingredients, either preservatives, color or flavor, or all three. But so do most of the other canned foods on the grocery store shelves.

But, as was said, the bottom line is what they will eat.
But I CAN'T read the labels! Have you tried? I'd need to pop out my contact lenses in the store aisle, squint and use a flashlight/magnifying glass. "What a drag it is getting old...."

That's why I was hoping someone would just tell me!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lol.. labels change continually so unfortunately the extra eyewear is a must

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But I CAN'T read the labels! Have you tried? I'd need to pop out my contact lenses in the store aisle, squint and use a flashlight/magnifying glass. "What a drag it is getting old...."

Use sites like petfood direct, petco, petsmart, etc (no idea what purina lists on any of their sites) to find the ingredients listed. Hopefully you'll find fairly up to date lists.
My up close eye sight is very good, but when companies choose to print that small or print black or colored text over a colored background even I have a lot of difficulty reading the labels. (makes my eyes want to cross
) It wouldn't surprised me to find out that this is sometimes intentional.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LOL! I know just what you mean. My endless gratitude to the person who invented progressive lenses!

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Use sites like petfood direct, petco, petsmart, etc (no idea what purina lists on any of their sites) to find the ingredients listed. Hopefully you'll find fairly up to date lists.
My up close eye sight is very good, but when companies choose to print that small or print black or colored text over a colored background even I have a lot of difficulty reading the labels. (makes my eyes want to cross
) It wouldn't surprised me to find out that this is sometimes intentional.

You can get the info on any fancy feast product here:

Fancy Feast website

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat will eat a more flaky chunky style then I recommend the FF flaked fish and shrimp. Medium royal blue label.

Ingredients: Ocean fish, fish broth, shrimp, calcium phosphate, vegetable oil, guar gum, Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin A supplement, sodium nitrite (to promote color retention), zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, manganese sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), riboflavin supplement, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin D-3 supplement.

Not great, but not bad. No soy, no wheat. No by-products or fillers. Don't like the sodium nitrite in there so I don't feed this exclusively. I mix the FF with Authority and Nutro pate, followed often by a little bit of the chunks n gravy Nutro... I have a mix of chunk eater AND those that simply lick the gravy off.

My shortlist of FF includes this, chicken classic, turkey and giblets classic, beef feast classic and occasionally whitefish and tuna. I put in enough to add "flavor" (LOL) to the wet food which is mostly the other two.

My boys also eat TOTW dry and EVO herring and salmon dry as treats. Happy, healthy, good skin, shiny coats, regular BMs, etc.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

If your cat will eat a more flaky chunky style then I recommend the FF flaked fish and shrimp. Medium royal blue label.

Ingredients: Ocean fish, fish broth, shrimp, calcium phosphate, vegetable oil, guar gum, Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin A supplement, sodium nitrite (to promote color retention), zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, manganese sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), riboflavin supplement, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin D-3 supplement.

Not great, but not bad. No soy, no wheat. No by-products or fillers. Don't like the sodium nitrite in there so I don't feed this exclusively. I mix the FF with Authority and Nutro pate, followed often by a little bit of the chunks n gravy Nutro... I have a mix of chunk eater AND those that simply lick the gravy off.

My shortlist of FF includes this, chicken classic, turkey and giblets classic, beef feast classic and occasionally whitefish and tuna. I put in enough to add "flavor" (LOL) to the wet food which is mostly the other two.

My boys also eat TOTW dry and EVO herring and salmon dry as treats. Happy, healthy, good skin, shiny coats, regular BMs, etc.
Thanks for all that, and thanks to everyone else for understanding about my refusal to get bifocals (I use monovision contacts, so one eye for distance, one eye for reading, and neither is all that great and neither are bifocal contacts, which drive me insane).

We're trying other FF flavors these days but mostly they like the patÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] or classic fishy ones, the ones that come together in boxes. I feed them Calif. Naturals, Evo, and Natural Balance dry food, so at least that's decent enough. But only as a supplement to the cans. The last premium can they enjoyed was Natural Balance chicken and liver, but when I bought more cans... not so much.

count pouncula

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FF is not the healthiest choice but certainly is very tasty with a wide array of flavors. My cat gets one can of FF medley's (in florentine) or FF appetizers every morning and he can't wait to get it because he sleeps next to my head every night and wakes me up to remind me. FF medley's are great because they have less calories (70 per 3oz can of tuna florentine) compared to even many of the so called "healthy" brands and the sauces are superb. My cat's main diet though is dry "wellness" indoor formula so I know he's getting the best. There's nothing wrong with fancy feast just as long as it's not the main diet and you use it in moderation. Count Poucula won't even go near any of these "healthy" wet diets because they taste and look too bland. Humans like to live alittle so why can't our felines?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Count Pouncula

FF is not the healthiest choice but certainly is very tasty with a wide array of flavors. My cat gets one can of FF medley's (in florentine) or FF appetizers every morning and he can't wait to get it because he sleeps next to my head every night and wakes me up to remind me. FF medley's are great because they have less calories (70 per 3oz can of tuna florentine) compared to even many of the so called "healthy" brands and the sauces are superb. My cat's main diet though is dry "wellness" indoor formula so I know he's getting the best. There's nothing wrong with fancy feast just as long as it's not the main diet and you use it in moderation. Count Poucula won't even go near any of these "healthy" wet diets because they taste and look too bland. Humans like to live a little so why can't our felines?
Oh, thanks Count. Welcome to TCS. I will probably keep giving Jazzy the FancyFeast because she's been having it for years
I'll never feed Ginga FancyFeast though. Even though Ginga loves it, she's not going to be fed it ;]

Welcome to you and the Count.
Jackz, Jazzy & Ginga.