Famotidine (Pepcid) and other medications at the same time?

turtlesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Is it okay to give my cat, Turtle, famotidine (Pepcid) at the same time as other medications? Turtle is on enalapril, furosemide (Lasix), prednisolone, and weekly B12 injections, which are the have-to-take meds. But because of her vomiting whenever she eats anything other than canned tuna and cooked eggs and her lack of appetite, her vet thinks the famotidine might help. She currently gets her meds crushed up in the liquid from canned tuna as that's the only way I can them in her.

She has chronic pancreatitis, third-degree heart block, and heart failure, and is basically on palliative care at this point. She was diagnosed with the heart problems six months ago, and so far is doing really well in that regard.

Thank you!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your vet prescribed all of these medications to be used at the same time?  If so, I would assume that they are aware of potential risks and think this is the best course.  Is she getting a taurine supplement as well?

Sorry your kitty is unwell. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

turtlesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Talkingpeanut, yes, the vet said I could give the famotidine at the same time, but I started thinking about it later and wondering about it.

No, she's not taking a taurine supplement. She takes one whole pill and one half pill each morning and then two half pills each night, crushed up in tuna juice. (And now the famotidine.) If a pill can't be crushed (or tastes horrible when crushed) it's not something I can get in her. With a whole pill, she either spits it out after I think she's swallowed it or throws it up if I manage to get it down her, thus the tuna-juice method. Now, she does like her lysine treats!

She's stayed with us with a pretty good quality of life for longer than our vet thought she would since her multiple heart problems were diagnosed the beginning of last October. The pancreatitis she's had for about a year. (We have had a great home vet for her for several years now.)

Thank you!

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend taking to your vet about whether she's getting enough taurine. Otherwise she may develop other issues, like blindness.

turtlesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you recommend anything in particular? I tried to find taurine treats, hoping to find something similar to the lysine treats she loves so much. Haven't found anything yet, but did find some chews (assuming soft chews) with taurine that state: "A complete multi-vitamin/mineral supplement with digestive enzymes for cats of all ages and breeds."  I emailed my vet but have not heard back yet, so I may leave her a phone message tomorrow.

UPDATE: I just found some chewable tablets: "Highly palatable chewable tablet for use as a source of taurine for cats of all ages."

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get a powder called u-stew, for people who make their own cat food.  You could easily mix it into scrambled eggs.

turtlesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, talkingpeanut. Received an answer from my vet and she said it was okay.

I don't know if we're allowed to post links on here, so I'll just use the name. Are you referring to Know Better Pet Food, U-Stew powder for cats? So when you say mix it in with the eggs, should I mix the powder in or mix the power with water first as it says on this website to do when incorporating it into raw meet before you cook it?

Last edited:

turtlesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just reread the instructions, and it doesn't say add the power to the water, but add water to the meat, cook the meat, and then add the power after the meat has cooled. So considering that, can I just add some power to the food she's now eating without any additional water? Didn't know if the water helped to smooth out the power or activate maybe to in some way.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about adding the powder. I would think mixing it into the eggs would be enough, but you might want to get some other opinions.