family don't like my cat because he's a cat

alicenyans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
this isn't a relaxing/chilling subject. i don't know where else to post this really.

so i've adopted this cat since two years ago and he was tiny and three months old and i was cool with him around. and parents were like "ok you can have one" and i spent this crazy amount on cat (i didn't know about the adoption thing but a year later after i bought the cat) basically it was too much money and i don't regret any cent of it.

my parents, however, they grew really annoyed with the cat throughout two years because he was pooping randomly (he'd poop once on the floor for every few months) especially mum she gets really mad that she kept wanting to leave the house although i clean up the place. i just don't understand. i don't understand. this is what they signed for. I don't know what kind of expectations did they gey.

so this week was kinda the last straw and i couldn't move away and take the cat with me so he has to go to the adoption center thing and i'm upset and it's all my fault everyone's mad it's my fault i brought a cat i guess maybe i don't know

so they'll take him away this weekend if i don't do anything to make him stay

i don't know what's the best option at this point. i want my cat to stay but i don't want to be selfish and stuff. i don't know what to do at this point.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

this isn't a relaxing/chilling subject. i don't know where else to post this really.

so i've adopted this cat since two years ago and he was tiny and three months old and i was cool with him around. and parents were like "ok you can have one" and i spent this crazy amount on cat (i didn't know about the adoption thing but a year later after i bought the cat) basically it was too much money and i don't regret any cent of it.

my parents, however, they grew really annoyed with the cat throughout two years because he was pooping randomly (he'd poop once on the floor for every few months) especially mum she gets really mad that she kept wanting to leave the house although i clean up the place. i just don't understand. i don't understand. this is what they signed for. I don't know what kind of expectations did they gey.

so this week was kinda the last straw and i couldn't move away and take the cat with me so he has to go to the adoption center thing and i'm upset and it's all my fault everyone's mad it's my fault i brought a cat i guess maybe i don't know

i don't know what's the best option at this point. i want my cat to stay but i don't want to be selfish and stuff. i don't know what to do at this point.
Is it possible that a piece of poo got hung on his rear. Long hair cats can have this problem. So he is only doing this randomly every few months ?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will your family let you keep the cat in your room only? That might be a good compromise. Will you be moving out in a few years, or do you think you'll be living with your parents for the cat's whole life? What will happen to him at the "adoption center"---will they kill him if he doesn't get adopted? I would suggest, if you must give him up, to find him a new home yourself instead of taking him to any kind of middleman. That way you can make sure he goes to a good home---you just never know what kind of person they'll give him to.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

yeah he have this problem sometimes. And yes. It's possible it's random.
If something is getting caught in his butt fluff you can gently trim that area. Has he been neutered ?

It sounds like your mother has no emotional investment in the cat. Getting her involved in interacting and playing with him makes little things less offensive.

Are you not taking care of some upkeep to her satisfaction. Grooming , cat hair ? Seems that something more than a piece of random poop is the problem.

Generally a people and a pet are happiest in a home when everyone has some emotional investment in the animal. As a former cat hater I can attest that I can't picture life without one now. Once you know one cat you quickly start to love them all.

I do agree with Willowy that if you must rehome you do it yourself if at all possible.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Quite honestly,  "they" didn't sign up for anything....you did. If the cat is pooping around the house, you need to clean up after him. It's your cat, not your parents'. It's your responsibility, not your parents'. Speaking as a mom, I think they had the expectation that you would take care of the cat, clean up after the cat, etc. And it sounds like it's a little more than just the cat pooping on the floor every few months or a "cling-on". It's something more complicated than that.

I agree with the others; you re-home the cat yourself, if need be. Try to find a home where people will truly care for the little guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicenyans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will your family let you keep the cat in your room only? That might be a good compromise. Will you be moving out in a few years, or do you think you'll be living with your parents for the cat's whole life? What will happen to him at the "adoption center"---will they kill him if he doesn't get adopted? I would suggest, if you must give him up, to find him a new home yourself instead of taking him to any kind of middleman. That way you can make sure he goes to a good home---you just never know what kind of person they'll give him to.
We had this sort of agreement before the first i got him. He used to sleep, eat and poop in my room. Then my parents felt kinda bad and told me to let him sleep and eat outside my room and stuff. And so i let him. And they started to get irritated since the first mess he made.

I do want to move away as soon as i can. I don't want to live with my parents. I'm currently in college studying law and my side-job pays me $266.65 a month. (the cheapest apartment i found was about $15000 and i'm not even near that number with my savings and parents don't want to help me pay for an apartment. I have to "earn it" on my own which is kind of harsh) So i can't move out yet. And i don't have a home for him so a middleman is the best thing i guess. I do know that the adoption center don't murder pets (there are strict rules about killing and stuff) when no one adopts them. They just stay up for adoption.

If something is getting caught in his butt fluff you can gently trim that area. Has he been neutered ?

It sounds like your mother has no emotional investment in the cat. Getting her involved in interacting and playing with him makes little things less offensive.

Are you not taking care of some upkeep to her satisfaction. Grooming , cat hair ? Seems that something more than a piece of random poop is the problem.

Generally a people and a pet are happiest in a home when everyone has some emotional investment in the animal. As a former cat hater I can attest that I can't picture life without one now. Once you know one cat you quickly start to love them all.

I do agree with Willowy that if you must rehome you do it yourself if at all possible.
He has been neutered.

Mum has been refusing to interact with the cat for since i got it.

Mum does not care about how i take care of my cat. she just doesn't want the place dirty. (today my big brother flipped the whole house because my cat peed on his bed and that happened because mom locked the cat in by accident. again. so that's kinda the last straw?? family confirmed to not like cat because it does cat things probably)

idk my family never had a pet so it's pretty difficult for them to accept my cat, at least that's what i think? i've been trying to do stuffs with them like interacting and petting and stuff with the cat. my dad kinda likes the cat and plays with cat sometimes and some others he'd get pissed off because cat made mess. But mum's yelling makes dad sad and stressed. And he doesn't mum to leave and i don't want mum to leave and i don't want to choose between mum and the cat.

Yeah, I've been calling some friends and see if they can have a cat but everyone seems to be busy or not interested so i might not have a better choice.

alicenyans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Quite honestly,  "they" didn't sign up for anything....you did. If the cat is pooping around the house, you need to clean up after him. It's your cat, not your parents'. It's your responsibility, not your parents'. Speaking as a mom, I think they had the expectation that you would take care of the cat, clean up after the cat, etc. And it sounds like it's a little more than just the cat pooping on the floor every few months or a "cling-on". It's something more complicated than that.

I agree with the others; you re-home the cat yourself, if need be. Try to find a home where people will truly care for the little guy.
i do clean after my cat. all the time. D: there was never a time where i didn't clean after it. I clean up the litter, Feed the cat, Take it for a walk, play with it, take it to the vet, pay for the bills, bathe it and so on and so fourth.

i'm looking for homes still. :(

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you should start keeping the cat strictly to your own room, since other family members have a problem with him. It sounds like that worked in the beginning. Just make sure he has food, water, litter box, and toys/cat tree if possible. He will be fine in just a bedroom. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think you should start keeping the cat strictly to your own room, since other family members have a problem with him. It sounds like that worked in the beginning. Just make sure he has food, water, litter box, and toys/cat tree if possible. He will be fine in just a bedroom. 
I agree with this. I'd also take him to a groomer that works with cats for a sanitary shave. This will help keep everything in the "southern hemisphere" clean and you won't have "litterbox hitchhikers" to deal with. Having it done by a groomer is much easier than trying to do it yourself. Good luck

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
You have some good ideas presented. It would seem making your room the cats home the best idea if you want to keep him. I disagree when someone says your brought it home therefore you are 100% responsible. When your parents felt bad about the confinement they agreed to have the pet in their private areas also which gives them at the very least a minimum duty of care. ie, not locking him in a room without a way to relieve himself.

If you are walking your cat n a regular basis I don't see any harm in him being confined to your room. If the cat is going to cause ongoing stress between you and your family it's probably better to rehome. It's bad for you, your relationship with your parents. Your need to study and it's not good for the cat either.

Time to have a long talk with yourself and decide the pros and cons and ultimately what is in the best interest of the cat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just keep the cat in your room again. Don't let him out even if your family members say they feel bad, because they'll just get angry at him again. As long as you spend a lot of time with him and take him for walks, he'll be fine living in your bedroom. That way nobody else has to deal with him and there won't be any accidents like locking him in the wrong room.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had this sort of agreement before the first i got him. He used to sleep, eat and poop in my room. Then my parents felt kinda bad and told me to let him sleep and eat outside my room and stuff. And so i let him. And they started to get irritated since the first mess he made.
I do want to move away as soon as i can. I don't want to live with my parents. I'm currently in college studying law and my side-job pays me $266.65 a month. (the cheapest apartment i found was about $15000 and i'm not even near that number with my savings and parents don't want to help me pay for an apartment. I have to "earn it" on my own which is kind of harsh) So i can't move out yet. And i don't have a home for him so a middleman is the best thing i guess. I do know that the adoption center don't murder pets (there are strict rules about killing and stuff) when no one adopts them. They just stay up for adoption.

He has been neutered.
Mum has been refusing to interact with the cat for since i got it.
Mum does not care about how i take care of my cat. she just doesn't want the place dirty. (today my big brother flipped the whole house because my cat peed on his bed and that happened because mom locked the cat in by accident. again. so that's kinda the last straw?? family confirmed to not like cat because it does cat things probably)
idk my family never had a pet so it's pretty difficult for them to accept my cat, at least that's what i think? i've been trying to do stuffs with them like interacting and petting and stuff with the cat. my dad kinda likes the cat and plays with cat sometimes and some others he'd get pissed off because cat made mess. But mum's yelling makes dad sad and stressed. And he doesn't mum to leave and i don't want mum to leave and i don't want to choose between mum and the cat.

Yeah, I've been calling some friends and see if they can have a cat but everyone seems to be busy or not interested so i might not have a better choice.
You mean it's between your mum or your cat?
Why hasn't he been toilet trained.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just keep the cat in your room again. Don't let him out even if your family members say they feel bad, because they'll just get angry at him again. As long as you spend a lot of time with him and take him for walks, he'll be fine living in your bedroom. That way nobody else has to deal with him and there won't be any accidents like locking him in the wrong room.
How's she going to take him for walks? He's probably never been outside or put on a leash.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cat is litter trained. He wet the bed because he had accidentally been locked in the room. The box wasn't in there. The OP should keep the cat and his things in her room if her family has an issue with him. 

She said that she has taken the cat for walks in the past so it sounds like he is trained to wear a harness and leash

alicenyans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I agree with this. I'd also take him to a groomer that works with cats for a sanitary shave. This will help keep everything in the "southern hemisphere" clean and you won't have "litterbox hitchhikers" to deal with. Having it done by a groomer is much easier than trying to do it yourself. Good luck

You have some good ideas presented. It would seem making your room the cats home the best idea if you want to keep him. I disagree when someone says your brought it home therefore you are 100% responsible. When your parents felt bad about the confinement they agreed to have the pet in their private areas also which gives them at the very least a minimum duty of care. ie, not locking him in a room without a way to relieve himself.

If you are walking your cat n a regular basis I don't see any harm in him being confined to your room. If the cat is going to cause ongoing stress between you and your family it's probably better to rehome. It's bad for you, your relationship with your parents. Your need to study and it's not good for the cat either.

Time to have a long talk with yourself and decide the pros and cons and ultimately what is in the best interest of the cat.
I started putting him in my room since before yesterday. He has two boxes of litterbox, One in the bathroom and one on the other side of the room (i have a bathroom attached to my room), Cat food outside of my room, I refill him a bowl three times a day and change his water once a day (As far as i read, Changing water daily is good thing!), He has empty cardboard boxes and toys to play with and a cat tree thing (i had to rearrange my room a bit so he'd have his own area). Cat gets to wake me up very early (at 4am~5am) for food/he felt too lonely/he's bored/ect, I pay attention to him when he's walking around the house, He gets to visit the backyard once a day for about 15~30mins (i'd let him go out more but i'm not good with the current weather since it's almost spring. sneezing is not cool.) (he is not allowed to go beyond the backyard since there are stray dogs out and my country doesn't have no animal control (we already contacted the police few times since stray cat deaths ;_; it's savage situation.) so this is the best option. The backyard is big and has grass and stuff and he's having fun there so i'm guessing it's fine this way.) I keep my windows open till it's dawn and clean the littler once to two times a day. 

(Note: if i'm doing anything bad please let me know immediately.)

Parents are cool with this. They're chill. So he's not forced to go away as long i pay attention to him and stuff. I'm still looking for homes for if unexpected events happened just in case

I don't have the money to take him to the vet for a rear snappy-snap so i'm probably gonna be extra careful doing it on my own. (cat burrito  might help. And an extra set of hands and lots of treats. And maybe a youtube tutorial first, Too.)
I'm guessing. But hopefully the issue's been solved since the cat returned to living in my room. No one's stressed anymore. I mean, I hopefully.

He can use the litterbox. It's just someone in the comment section pointed out that cats with long fur tends to have this sort of problem because maybe the fur itches the rear which causes him to poop around? So snapping the fur near his rear might help fix the problem. 
How's she going to take him for walks? He's probably never been outside or put on a leash.

She said that she has taken the cat for walks in the past so it sounds like he is trained to wear a harness and leash
We do go outside.

He never wore harness or a leash. It's just a thing we've been doing since he was 5 months old or something. We'd walk around together, No issue.

Last edited:

alicenyans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i've been meaning to ask this but one of my friends suggested that i start training the cat to open doors. Can you tell me if this is a bad idea? And if so, How? (Can cats learn on their own how to open doors? Is there a way to prevent that?)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't teach a cat to open doors, they could get outside and get killed or get into something such as medicine and eat it, not a good idea! I know because I've got a cat that does this (taught himself,) and he gets to the toilet paper and shreds it, and all kinds of naughty things. I commend you for doing all  you are doing for this sweet little one, you have a good heart and are doing the best you can. Know that little soul does love you very much and loves you especially for protecting and loving him.. He can survive in your room, just as long as he has interactions with you regularly. Cats are more solitary animals, provide toys and something to climb on or scratch and he will be happy. All the luck!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"He can use the litterbox. It's just someone in the comment section pointed out that cats with long fur tends to have this sort of problem because maybe the fur itches the rear which causes him to poop around? So snapping the fur near his rear might help fix the problem."

The fur shouldn't be causing your cat to itch. The problem with long-haired cats is that the poo gets stuck in their fur when they are in the litter box. Then when they get out and walk around, the poo falls off around the house.

pusheen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen your posts on this website before, and didn't you have two cats at one point? What happened to your other cat?