Fairly new cat scratching neck a lot

rosie23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Our fairly new addition N (1 year old, FIV positive, asthma) has been scratching his neck a lot and were noticing some hair loss.

He's had a stressful start. Third day in needed to be taken to the emergency vet and had to stay 2 nights. They diagnosed him with feline asthma.

From the shelter, he had come in with a small bite wound on the side of his face. He seemed pretty healed but a bit of hair loss. We've noticed he's scratched a lot all around his neck.

I was planning on trying an oatmeal bath (if possible...) with him. Not sure if it would be allergies? If allergies would he be scratching all over? Any advice and experience appreciated!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be fleas or possibly a litter or food allergy. What are you feeding him and what kind of litter are you using?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosie23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not fleas thank goodness. We had been to the vet for his wellness check recently and she said no fleas. I had mentioned the scratching (was not as bad as the time) and she said at the time to just see if it got worse. It has definitely gotten worse.

Litter is World's Best Cat Litter (the green bag if that matters)

Food has been Blue Buffalo for wet (salmon or tuna, we switch it up) and Go Solutions for dry (lamb and boar)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
These cases can be hard to pin down. Could be, as stephanietx stephanietx mentioned, either fleas or allergies. AH! You just posted "NO FLEAS" as I was typing! Good. One thing off of the list. It could be stress. He's apparently gone through quite a bit in a short time.

DO notify your vet that the scratching has gotten worse. That's the first thing. You'll want to start exploring and eliminating possible allergies.

Now, until you figure this out, you can use Chamomile tea, both externally as a soothing skin wash, AND internally, as a gentle calming agent. Buy plain, unblended Chamomile tea bags from the store. You want to use commercially prepared tea bags, as those are ALL 100% German chamomile (regardless of where the tea was grown..."German" is the variety). German Chamomile is medicinally active, and safe for cats in proper dosages. The English variety, which grows in so many gardens, is NEITHER, and can be toxic to cats. SO...you have your tea bags. Brew a cup, then chill it in the fridge. To use externally on the itchy spots, dip a soft cloth or cotton ball in the tea, and just swab it on. For internal use (calming), draw up 1-3 teaspoonfuls (tablespoonfuls for cats 11 pounds or more) in a syringe or medicine dropper, and administer that way. OH, and if you are going to use it both ways, I'd advise storing the "internal" and "external" teas in separate containers. Probably not strictly necessary, but I always do. It will keep in the fridge for a good three days.

rosie23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These cases can be hard to pin down. Could be, as stephanietx stephanietx mentioned, either fleas or allergies. AH! You just posted "NO FLEAS" as I was typing! Good. One thing off of the list. It could be stress. He's apparently gone through quite a bit in a short time.

DO notify your vet that the scratching has gotten worse. That's the first thing. You'll want to start exploring and eliminating possible allergies.

Now, until you figure this out, you can use Chamomile tea, both externally as a soothing skin wash, AND internally, as a gentle calming agent. Buy plain, unblended Chamomile tea bags from the store. You want to use commercially prepared tea bags, as those are ALL 100% German chamomile (regardless of where the tea was grown..."German" is the variety). German Chamomile is medicinally active, and safe for cats in proper dosages. The English variety, which grows in so many gardens, is NEITHER, and can be toxic to cats. SO...you have your tea bags. Brew a cup, then chill it in the fridge. To use externally on the itchy spots, dip a soft cloth or cotton ball in the tea, and just swab it on. For internal use (calming), draw up 1-3 teaspoonfuls (tablespoonfuls for cats 11 pounds or more) in a syringe or medicine dropper, and administer that way. OH, and if you are going to use it both ways, I'd advise storing the "internal" and "external" teas in separate containers. Probably not strictly necessary, but I always do. It will keep in the fridge for a good three days.
I will call back tomorrow to the vet, definitely. And thanks for the home remedy...I'll try and find some of the tea for sure. The detailed response is hugely appreciated.

rosie23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It can take a few weeks after eliminating a food to see a real difference, so be patient.
Is there a type of protein you'd recommend? I heard chicken isn't great either but not sure.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken can be an allergen for some. You can try turkey, duck, venison, or rabbit. Instinct has several different options. Most kitties aren't fans of beef.

rosie23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So as an update, I was able to talk to our vet today. She suggested a lot of courses of action. We decided on the topical Advantix (I believe it was). The vet said to put a couple of drops behind the neck. She still doesn't think fleas, but she's curious if it's anything microscopic. She will follow up with us in a week to see if it's helping at all, or another course of action is recommended. She was very curious that the scratching is localized (only on neck) so she wasn't sure if it was something internal. But at the same time, she was thinking it could be just 'working its way' and could start to be a fully body itch soon.

I really hope it works.

rosie23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update to my last post! It was Advantage Multi not Advantix for the medication!

rosie23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
AH! Easy to confuse. How does it seem to be working so far?
So we haven't given it to him yet, because he actually seems to be scratching less. He is a water boy (doesn't seem afraid of the water at all!) So we wet him down a bit. He seems actually to be scratching less. I really wonder now if he's just very dry. It is dry in our household but we didn't think enough to cause a lot of discomfort. I notice he's extremely staticy as well. We will continue to monitor him. Hoping to be able to wash him down every few days at least, but definitely not scratching as much as before. We will continue to monitor though.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he's dry and static-y, try a humidifer! That might do the trick, and a cheap solution if that's the problem!

rosie23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he's dry and static-y, try a humidifer! That might do the trick, and a cheap solution if that's the problem!
We are ordering a small one for his safe room! Really hope that does help!