Faint Positive for FELV/Negative Follow Up Test...Anyone Experience This?

MindyD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a 3-4 month old kitten from the local shelter. Knowing 4he would be around my daughter's one year old cat, and my 15 year old cat after a period of isolation, I had him tested at the clinic for FIV/Felv. They did the SNAP combo test, and it came back with a "faint positive." I had them send his blood for an ELISA Antigen test, which came back negative. From what I have been reading, there can definitely be false positives with the SNAP test. I talked to someone at our regular vet who has had great experience with rescues and she said if it were her she would consider him negative and would be ok to have the kitten around the other cats. I am a highly anxious person, and want to have him tested again in a few weeks before letting him be around the other cats. Has anyone had a similar experience? Thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MindyD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was a faint FELV positive.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Why So Many Tests for FeLV? - Catwatch Newsletter
This newletter from Cornell discusses the tests for FeLV.

False positives on a SNAP test are more common than false negatives, not even all that uncommon depending on what you are reading. The ELISA is considered reliable. A usual recommendation when there is concern is to retest in 30 days.

I certainly understand your anxiety, but you have done everything that you should be doing at this point. Retesting is a good idea. I am not a vet and not there with you and your new kitty, but there is a good chance that he is fine.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it was me, I would do another test out to the lab in a month. If negative again, then don’t worry about it again.