Failure To Thrive- Half The Litter

Mixed-up Montana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,
My mom randomly dropped off her half feral outdoor cat a month ago (don't ask, she has issues) and she had kittens a week layer. Eight if them! Mom cat was malnourished but doing better with a good diet. Five days after the kittens were born, I found a foster mom cat for the 2 smallest. They were being bullied off the nipples and pushed out of the nest. I was also concerned about mom cats milk supply. The foster mom's kittens are two weeks older than these, and as she had begun to feed less and wean, my little guys first stopped gaining weight and eventually lost some. I took them back immediately and my mom cat has welcomed them back into the fold. This was on the 19th. Since then I have been supplementing the lil guys 4x day with kmr and also removing the 4 biggest for 1-2 hours at a te so that my 4 smallest can nurse. My biggest kitten weighed in at @ over 14 oz this morning, with the next three at 12 oz, give or take a few grams. Thankfully the two that have come back have gained weight. The smallest gained 24 grams and the next smallest gained 12- all in the past 24 hours. They are half the size of my bigger kittens but seem to be gaining strength. They walk around better than my fatties, actually. The next 2 small guys actually have lost .5 & .85 of a gram. I have made sure the 2 runts are with mom except when I supplement them, and I see them nursing almost continuously. At this moment the four small kittens (I call them my "A group") are nursing and the others (B group) are in a different room, hopefully sleeping! I know the odds of survival aren't in their favor, but I'm going to do what I can. I will weigh A group again this evening and hoping for weight gain for all four. I'm not sure what else I can do though. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mixed-up Montana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually, I am familiar with FNI and fading kitten syndrome both. I will read the links you provided as a refresher though. I am in denial. I want the little guys to live! Good news is my lil grey just weighed at 6.8 oz, not bad for seven hours time. Thank you for responding.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I am familiar with FNI and fading kitten syndrome both. I will read the links you provided as a refresher though. I am in denial. I want the little guys to live! Good news is my lil grey just weighed at 6.8 oz, not bad for seven hours time. Thank you for responding.
Mixed-up Montana Mixed-up Montana - They're basic information links and nothing more.

Don't deny. Get your veterinarian involved in their well-being as quickly as possible. The most important paragraph in the initial article is this one:

"Treating fading kittens in a veterinary clinic can be frustrating for both providers and clients. But Carozza and the team at NOVA are saving neonatal kittens on a regular basis. Her advice to other veterinary professionals? “Don’t be afraid to treat the little guys and think outside of the box with their care,” she says. “Sometimes the issue causing the fading is easier than you think; you just need the right diagnostics, medication, and blood products."

If possible, get your DVM involved immediately - and never give up; not until the last breath.