Facebook

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After much bugging by friends/family, hubby and I finally signed up for Facebook. This is fun as I found my cousin thru my sister and another counsin thru that cousin.

Its cool to find so many friends/family now - why we didn't do it sooner, I have no clue. But now I can't wait to get home and add more friends. Hubby's well ahead of me in having over 50 friends in 2 days...but I'll catch up.

He's gonna help me add in the pictures to mine this weekend.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love facebook (most of the time!). I'm in contact with so much of my family in other states that I wouldn't be otherwise.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also just joined up on FB at the insistence of my family. But I am furious with it - without my doing anything it has contacted everyone in my address book and sent a message asking them to share my photos on FB, which don't even exist. And now I have people coming out of hte woodwork at me whom I haven't hesard of in years and don't want to contact, some of them as annoyed and surprised as me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you don't have to accept them as friends - you can decline the invite. I know of a few I have no desire to talk to and have "ignored" the request so they cannot contact me.

As with everything there are good and bad things. I haven't got the photo stuff yet....don't have photos on mine (hubby will help me put some on there this weekend).

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All my family but me does Facebook. I don't want my picture out there on the internet. I know of instances where people have been fired from their job for things they wrote on there. Like one woman who reported in sick on her job, then posted on Facebook how she spent the day. Others tell when they are leaving home for their vacations etc. I just think a person needs to be careful what they put out there regarding their personal information

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know - I realise how grumpy my post sounded, but I was and am mad that a message supposed to be from me went out to many people that were entirely inappropriate - ex bosses for example. But I know many people, my daughter included, who love FB and spend hours a day on it. Good luck, I hope you have a good experience and enjoy it.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People have been after me for ages to do facebook, and I flat out refuse - too many viruses and security issues with the site for me. The last security breech gave telemarketers and other less than savory characters information they have no right to, including things that should never be for public perusal in any case - addresses, phone numbers and who knows what else some people post.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my Facebook. I have reconnected with many people from K-11th grade, a couple from 12th grade (different school), and my current group of friends as well as other pole enthusiasts and even members of this forum
I have yet to add my boss as a friend
, he said he was sort of "offended" (told my TL) that I added my team leader (but I actually knew him BEFORE I worked here) but not him - supposedly it's not "ethical" for him to request me though. I privatized my page a few months ago just to keep out some annoying requests, so now only my friends can view info - but I also figure if someone wants info on me they're gonna find it, FB or not. Very few family members of mine are on it - brother, a couple cousins, a few aunts and a few uncles. My parents refuse, even though I constantly get requests from people who know THEM, asking if they are on FB or wanting to be my friend. I have more of Rob's family as friends on FB than my own

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

People have been after me for ages to do facebook, and I flat out refuse - too many viruses and security issues with the site for me. The last security breech gave telemarketers and other less than savory characters information they have no right to, including things that should never be for public perusal in any case - addresses, phone numbers and who knows what else some people post.
I don't trust Facebook at all. A friend of mine asked me to be his friend so I joined but within a couple of days I deleted the website. I can very happily live without it.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't post much on Facebook. I play a couple of games on it but that is about it. I have a couple of relatives and coworkers who spend all day, every day posting every minute detail of their lives.

People need to use some semblance of common sense when posting on FB. I avoid it completely when I call off work. If a person calls in sick and then posts about their big day at the amusement park (with pictures) then they should be fired.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I spend the vast majority of my time on FB playing my game. I like to read what's going on in my friend's lives too; some friends from high school live across the country and even acros the pond! I very rarely post staus updates of my own tho, and when I do they usually have to do with my cats

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm on Facebook as it's a good way to keep in contact with my niece and nephew. I'm very careful about what I post and never post any pictures.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally gave in too... It is great , found folks from the past which is hard when you went to four schools in five years and two states

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there are too many security risks involved. I'm way too paranoid about that stuff. There is NO ONE from my past that I want to find and stay in touch with...trust me on that!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love facebook but I don't put my personall stuff up but I don't tell people my personall stuff either. I am open to any friends on there I just rarely send the invites.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked my name up with both cities to check the privacy settings ... basically no one gets any info that is not okayed by me ..

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I looked my name up with both cities to check the privacy settings ... basically no one gets any info that is not okayed by me ..

Same here. You just need to learn enough about how to use it and then you are g2g.

Facebook lets me stay in touch with my friends and my daughter that I now live 800 miles away from. I honestly don't know how I'd cope WITHOUT that ability to be in touch so often!