Facebook Question

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, my sister just had some of our private conversations through Facebook copied and pasted to someone else.  How is that possible? It has caused a world of problems for her based on some of the things we were talking about.  And a friend of hers prior to that had her facebook hacked and was sending out friend requests or some such thing.  I've never been a fan of Facebook and this has totally turned me off.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
was the conversation through PM, or through the walls? If it goes on the person's wall, other people can see it (Friends of that person and vice versa)

if it was private message (like instant messenger), then no one should be able to see it aside from the two of you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was through PM. That's what we thought, but someone got in there and copied it and pasted it to someone else.  We know other people can see the wall

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something to keep in mind. We have no idea who did it or how, but someone was able to do it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no site so secure that it canNOT be hacked.  Social media is some of the worst.  Save REAL personal correspondence for email, and be aware that email, too, can be hacked.  

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One idea you need to consider is that her phone itself could be hacked, even through wifi (did she use a public wifi?)

As for FB, you can go to settings, security, and check to see what locations Facebook and Messenger are open. I recommend you both change FB and Messenger passwords, email passwords, and wifi passwords.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One idea you need to consider is that her phone itself could be hacked, even through wifi (did she use a public wifi?)

As for FB, you can go to settings, security, and check to see what locations Facebook and Messenger are open. I recommend you both change FB and Messenger passwords, email passwords, and wifi passwords.
It wasn't phone, she doesn't have a smart phone and the wifi was secure (from home), but I'm just now learning (she has fessed up) that the person who claims the message was copied and pasted actually has her password for fb!!  I am having a serious fit about her habit of casually giving her "friends" her passwords.  What am I going to do with her, she is in denial. Oh none of them would do that.  Um...obviously one of them did.  Well I've learned a few lessons, which I already knew but relaxed my guard. Just say NO to drama. (My sis is often in the thick of it, sigh). 

Thanks to all who responded.  I am going into settings and see what's what. I'm clueless about facebook, but I have changed my password very frequently because I can never remember it.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

It wasn't phone, she doesn't have a smart phone and the wifi was secure (from home), but I'm just now learning (she has fessed up) that the person who claims the message was copied and pasted actually has her password for fb!!  I am having a serious fit about her habit of casually giving her "friends" her passwords.  What am I going to do with her, she is in denial. Oh none of them would do that.  Um...obviously one of them did.  Well I've learned a few lessons, which I already knew but relaxed my guard. Just say NO to drama. (My sis is often in the thick of it, sigh). 

Thanks to all who responded.  I am going into settings and see what's what. I'm clueless about facebook, but I have changed my password very frequently because I can never remember it.
Oh boy, that's frustrating.  I have a young friend who shares her passwords and website information with other people all the time.  I can't get it through her head that she shouldn't trust everybody she knows with her private information.