Eyes Squinting?

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Anyone ever experienced their cat squinting one of their eyes with watery discharge?

It started on Friday and we tried to rinse her eyes with room temperature water while waiting for the vet appointment day.

This morning, it seems to be better as there's no watery discharge but she's still squinting her left eyes.

I just brought her to the vet and after checking, vet said that there's no conjunctivitis nor ulcer. She doesn't have any coughing nor sneezing as well, hence, the vet said that it's definitely not cat flu. He said that it could be due to dust that could have gotten into her eyes. He prescribed her saline water to rinse with for twice a day. And an antibiotic ointment to be used if she still doesn't get better in two days.

Anyone have any ideas on what other causes could it be that caused eyes squinting other than conjunctivitis/ulcer/cat flu?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dust or an airborn allergin can do it, as well, and it does sound as if dust might be the culprit. Like getting a bit of sand or some such in your own eye.
Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it.

Hopefully she'll recovered soon 🤞

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Anyone ever experienced their cat squinting one of their eyes with watery discharge?

It started on Friday and we tried to rinse her eyes with room temperature water while waiting for the vet appointment day.

This morning, it seems to be better as there's no watery discharge but she's still squinting her left eyes.

I just brought her to the vet and after checking, vet said that there's no conjunctivitis nor ulcer. She doesn't have any coughing nor sneezing as well, hence, the vet said that it's definitely not cat flu. He said that it could be due to dust that could have gotten into her eyes. He prescribed her saline water to rinse with for twice a day. And an antibiotic ointment to be used if she still doesn't get better in two days.

Anyone have any ideas on what other causes could it be that caused eyes squinting other than conjunctivitis/ulcer/cat flu?
My Younger Boy Jackpot had a tearing eye a couple of weeks ago. I watched the eye for a couple of days , then took him into the Veterinarian . The Veterinarian determined the cause using a "Black Light" that there was a scratch on his cornea. Jackpot was prescribed "Ofloxacin 0.3% Ophth solution". Twice a day for 7 days. That cleared up the issue just fine.

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Younger Boy Jackpot had a tearing eye a couple of weeks ago. I watched the eye for a couple of days , then took him into the Veterinarian . The Veterinarian determined the cause using a "Black Light" that there was a scratch on his cornea. Jackpot was prescribed "Ofloxacin 0.3% Ophth solution". Twice a day for 7 days. That cleared up the issue just fine.
Oh no, I hope that Jackpot is feeling better now! It's really hard to see our pet get ill/hurt. I'm constantly thinking and blaming myself for not being able to keep my cat safe from everything, even dust. But I know, there's always circumstances that we can't control.

The doctor checked on her left eye with an equipment and said that there's a line behind the first layer of the eye, but he did says that that isn't abnormal and that humans does have it as well. Couldn't really get what he means by that but he did say that there's isn't any surface scratches and he don't see any conjunctivitis as well. So, he ruled it to be irritation by external factors like dust or etc.

Hopefully she'll feel better soon and if not, I'll have to start her on the antibiotics ointment that was given. :(

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I hope that Jackpot is feeling better now! It's really hard to see our pet get ill/hurt. I'm constantly thinking and blaming myself for not being able to keep my cat safe from everything, even dust. But I know, there's always circumstances that we can't control.

The doctor checked on her left eye with an equipment and said that there's a line behind the first layer of the eye, but he did says that that isn't abnormal and that humans does have it as well. Couldn't really get what he means by that but he did say that there's isn't any surface scratches and he don't see any conjunctivitis as well. So, he ruled it to be irritation by external factors like dust or etc.

Hopefully she'll feel better soon and if not, I'll have to start her on the antibiotics ointment that was given. :(
Jackpots Situation was rough play with his housemate Miles . Jackpot Is back to normal now.

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

This is just an update on my cat's eye. She's fine now after rinsing her eyes with saline water twice a day for two days.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, appreciate it!

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Saline drops are great! You can also safely use Genteal artificial tears on cats.
Gained new knowledge! First time pet owner here 😅 There's lots of things that I'll need to learn. Thankfully there's this site 😌

I'm now trying to crack my brain to think of a way to make my cat have interest in wet canned food. She's really picky with her food. She loves kibbles and her Wellness Tiny Tasters Pouch but other than that, she turn her nose up at her usual canned food during dinner time 😭🥲

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try mixing just a tiny bet of wet in with her kibbles, and slowly increasing it while decreasing the kibbles. Should take 3 or so weeks. Did NOT work for my cat, but has for several on here! It's worth trying. My girl is just...butt-headed. Should have named her "Goat."