Eye Removal Surgery/e-collar

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

My cat had her eye removed this morning. She has not been able to eat or drink with the e-collar she was sent home in. We tried hand feeding, putting food on the floor, elevated the dishes, used plates, etc-everything we could think of. She tried and tried but couldn't manipulate the cone and and her mouth. I asked the vet's office about a soft collar, and they recommended against it-primarily for cost. It's going on almost 24 hours without her eating and drinking, so I am looking for suggestions for a soft collar.

Has anyone had success with a soft collar that would prevent a cat from being able to scratch/paw at her face? I saw several styles online, but am not sure how they would keep her from getting to her face.

Thank you so much for any suggestions!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you take off her collar for a few minutes every couple of hours (with supervision) and try offering her wet food and water? Then replace the collar? Cost aside I would just pick up a soft collar. Could she still be feeling the effects of sedation? My cats ate/drank just fine with the plastic collar on. Since cats being dehydrated is a big deal I would take her to the vet if this doesn't improve immediately & pick up some saline to inject into her scruff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply! I picked up a soft collar about an hour ago, but it isn't working for her. I thought it would be great as it had some structure to it, and a flap to open and allow for eating, but it seemed even more cumbersome. While I was changing it out, I offered her food and water and she scarfed down her food, but didn't drink. The hard cone is back on now unfortunately and she is hiding behind a chair.
She got fluids during the surgery, so hopefully she's ok for a bit. I'll call her surgeon first thing in the morning if she doesn't start drinking on her own.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding wet food or dry or a mix? Wet would be better for her especially right now.

You can burrito and syringe some water or food but I would just call and check with the vet. If she had her eye removed this morning they may have given her saline to keep her hydrated.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure that the e-collar is the right size?
Probably a smaller size would allow your cat to eat and drink while still protecting the area with stitches.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is she doing? Have you tried low salt chicken broth (maybe diluted by half?) if she still isn't drinking?