Eye Problem

Mama Lioness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yazzie's vet diagnosed a 50/50 chance of saving her eye. Cornea abrasion. Tho I think it has to do with sinus/eye drainage problems since she is at least part Persian and has the shortened, tho not flat muzzle. She was feral and a rescue. 8-10 years old. Now more than less tame and still feisty. She is getting antibiotics and cornea drops several times a day (not fun for either of us). Any advice on anything else I may be able to do to save her eye? Make the medication process easier and more successful?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to ask, are you worried about her losing an eye and having issues adapting to life as a 1 eyed cat? Are you worried about the cost of having an eye removed?
I ask because cornea abrasion isn't fun for anyone. The worst part about it, is the "abrasion" part. Having anything be abrasive can cause pain, swelling or damage, but having abrasion in the eye can be especially concerning. While most minor corneal abrasions can heal within 3 to 5 days with medication and eye drops, more severe cases can take longer. It'll take even longer if she rubs her eye at all, which, without the use of a cone is pretty hard to keep a cat from doing.
Since your vet said there's a 50/50 chance of "saving the eye", I'd ask if this is a chronic issue that could require lifelong medication and drops.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an abrasion and the eye Dr. told me the same thing. Doing the drops religiously is the key. At one time I was applying them every 30 minutes, talk about a pain! They said I still have a tiny amount of scar tissue now but nothing to impede my vision. I cleaned and gave drops/ointment to my one cat's eyes very often for a while. I think the key is to wipe the eye very gently with a warm, wet cloth several times a day with sterilized or distilled water to get them used to you messing with their eyes. Drops and ointments should be applied by gently pulling down on the lower lid until a 'pouch' forms and putting the drops and ointment in there. Blinking spreads it around on the eye. Never apply drops directly onto the eye. Always into that pouch or at least the inner or outer corner of the eye from the side. It is way too scary for them to 'see' the drop coming, and they can. They don't like it at frist but usually get very used to it after a while when they learn you are not going to give up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama Lioness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to ask, are you worried about her losing an eye and having issues adapting to life as a 1 eyed cat? Are you worried about the cost of having an eye removed?
I ask because cornea abrasion isn't fun for anyone. The worst part about it, is the "abrasion" part. Having anything be abrasive can cause pain, swelling or damage, but having abrasion in the eye can be especially concerning. While most minor corneal abrasions can heal within 3 to 5 days with medication and eye drops, more severe cases can take longer. It'll take even longer if she rubs her eye at all, which, without the use of a cone is pretty hard to keep a cat from doing.
Since your vet said there's a 50/50 chance of "saving the eye", I'd ask if this is a chronic issue that could require lifelong medication and drops.
Thanks for replying. Yes, I would like to save her eye. We got pain meds too. If it turns out not to be possible to save her eye, she will be ok with one, but 2 is better.

Mama Lioness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had an abrasion and the eye Dr. told me the same thing. Doing the drops religiously is the key. At one time I was applying them every 30 minutes, talk about a pain! They said I still have a tiny amount of scar tissue now but nothing to impede my vision. I cleaned and gave drops/ointment to my one cat's eyes very often for a while. I think the key is to wipe the eye very gently with a warm, wet cloth several times a day with sterilized or distilled water to get them used to you messing with their eyes. Drops and ointments should be applied by gently pulling down on the lower lid until a 'pouch' forms and putting the drops and ointment in there. Blinking spreads it around on the eye. Never apply drops directly onto the eye. Always into that pouch or at least the inner or outer corner of the eye from the side. It is way too scary for them to 'see' the drop coming, and they can. They don't like it at frist but usually get very used to it after a while when they learn you are not going to give up.
Thank you for taking the time to share thoughtful and helpful information. I will check with our vet to ask if the drops can be more than 2x a day.

Mama Lioness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We went back for check up, and some progress has been made. We got 2 new drops, anti-biotic and cornea healing. Yazzie got an anti-biotic injection and appointment for 2 weeks from now. She doesn't mind the drops too much anymore. The purrito wrap was just freaking her out, so I tried something new. Laundry basket with some of my clothes in it covered with fresh warm towel from the dryer. If I come by with some pets on the head and then drops just as she is waking up from a nap, she barely minds it all. Hoping that she will heal with time, meds and patience. How long did it take for your kitty?