Eye problem

mistymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I am new here and I can see that I am going to spend lots of time today reading through the many posts on this site. However, before I do that, I wanted to post a question and hope that someone might be able to ease my mind.

My kitty Misty (she will be 11 years old at the end of this month) is a fairly healthy kitty. She has had some urinary issues in the past but is doing quite well right now. Blood work is great too. She seems to be healthier now than ever.

My question is about her eye. Last weekend she started to get black gunk in the corner of one eye. It didn't seem to bother her at all, it was just not something she had before now. She still played, ate, slept, cleaned and seemed perfectly happy. But because I was worried that this new thing (the black gunk) could be something brewing since it was only in one eye, I called the vet's office and asked if I should be concerned. The girl who works there gave me triple antibiotic opthalmic ointment and told me to put it in the eye twice a day for 7 days. They did not have me bring her in since Misty really wasn't have any discomfort at that point.

I used the ointment on Friday and yesterday morning. The black stuff was gone after the first day but ever since I started the ointment, Misty has been having trouble with her eye. She closes it a lot now and it seems to bother her. This was NOT a symptom before the medication.

So I took her to the vet yesterday and the vet said he did not see anything wrong with her eye. The eye looks perfectly healthy. He cleaned both eyes and told me to stop the ointment and gave her a shot of Depomedrol just in case she was having some allergy problems.

Today she sometimes closes the eye but if I'm playing with her, her eyes are wide open. And just when I think her eye is better, she starts closing it again. She doesn't keep it closed, just opens and closes but only that eye. It's not swollen, it's not runny, it's not red and her cornea is not scratched and nothing was in the eye.

My question I guess at this point is can the triple antibiotic ointment cause any discomfort? Are some cats sensitive to the ointment and maybe that's why she started closing the eye? The vet said it's possible but he didn't seem to be too convincing when he said it. He said it as though it's unlikely but anything is possible. I just don't know if I should be worrying myself sick. I love this little girl more than anything and I just don't know if I'm obsessing over it when it might be nothing.

Any ideas?

Thank you all. And thank you for this site.

Karen