eye crust... is it harmful!!?

melliv123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay, I just got a kitten for my kids for christmas. I have never had pets and please forgive me if I am asking silly questions!! My kitten is 9 weeks old and every day i have to clean this eye crust out of the corner of her eyes. She isn't having any puss or green goop that is visiable but this crust is forming on a daily basis... it is redish brown in color and she does have a sneeze also... please help any way that you can!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by melliv123

okay, I just got a kitten for my kids for christmas. I have never had pets and please forgive me if I am asking silly questions!! My kitten is 9 weeks old and every day i have to clean this eye crust out of the corner of her eyes. She isn't having any puss or green goop that is visiable but this crust is forming on a daily basis... it is redish brown in color and she does have a sneeze also... please help any way that you can!!!
I agree that she needs to see a vet. Definately sounds like a URI, which is treatable...but a vet will need to perscribe medication.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melliv123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read some other posts about URI's and didn't think that the symptoms matched. She only has this crust, no goop and she sneezes like 10 times total in a day. She is playful and active and has no problem with her eyes having this crust they arent' sealed shut and there is no "goop" in them. I just remove the crust because she is so beautiful and the crust is so ugly looking... As a side note, Is it really necessary to take a cat to the vet for a cold like this?? I don't wanna sound like im a bad person but I don't even think about taking my kids to the doctor for such things let alone myself... and we have a good insurance plan to pay for us to go and I don't have alot of money to play with this time of year.... That and I just spent 200 bucks to buy this kitten and she had the "eye boogers " when i got her and the lady I got her from said that she may have a little cold but not to worry... so, I figured I would research online a bit..... Ohh, not sure if it matters but she is an all white cat too!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I read some other posts about URI's and didn't think that the symptoms matched. She only has this crust, no goop and she sneezes like 10 times total in a day. She is playful and active and has no problem with her eyes having this crust they arent' sealed shut and there is no "goop" in them. I just remove the crust because she is so beautiful and the crust is so ugly looking... As a side note, Is it really necessary to take a cat to the vet for a cold like this?? I don't wanna sound like im a bad person but I don't even think about taking my kids to the doctor for such things let alone myself... and we have a good insurance plan to pay for us to go and I don't have alot of money to play with this time of year.... That and I just spent 200 bucks to buy this kitten and she had the "eye boogers " when i got her and the lady I got her from said that she may have a little cold but not to worry... so, I figured I would research online a bit..... Ohh, not sure if it matters but she is an all white cat too!!
Has she seen a vet at all?? Has she received her first shots and been wormed? It is always a good idea when you acquire an animal to have it checked by a vet to verify health. I volunteer with a rescue group and although we provide UTD shots, rabies vaccination and spay/neuter our kittens..we do recommend the owner take the kitten in to be vet checked within 7 days to ensure that the kitten is healthy and doesn't have a URI. Did you adopt her from a rescue group or buy her from a breeder?

Katie

melliv123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i got her from a rescue group. She has had 2 series of shots and is in need of her final shot in about a week now. She had been rescued and nursed by these women from the rescue group and they were also the same women that sold her to me. I had planned to wait until all the holidays were over and take her into the vet for her last shot and a general check up all at the same time. I have all the paperwork from their vet about worms and all that good stuff but still planned on having my vet take a look at all those things too. So, I am definately taking her to the vet but, I was wanting to wait so that I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

i got her from a rescue group. She has had 2 series of shots and is in need of her final shot in about a week now. She had been rescued and nursed by these women from the rescue group and they were also the same women that sold her to me. I had planned to wait until all the holidays were over and take her into the vet for her last shot and a general check up all at the same time. I have all the paperwork from their vet about worms and all that good stuff but still planned on having my vet take a look at all those things too. So, I am definately taking her to the vet but, I was wanting to wait so that I can kill 2 birds with one stone.
Ok...I would call the woman who you adopted the kitten through and ask if she had the crusty eye reviewed by the vet and whether the vet thought it was a URI (not whether she believes it is a URI). I think it will be fine to wait as long as the kitten seems to be fine otherwise. I wouldn't allow any other cats into your home until she has been vet checked as URIs are highly contagious between cats.

Katie

melliv123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, mabie i will call my vet and see what they think about all this... I guess that i am glad that I researched it and didn't just let it go. I really wanted it to be easier than this though!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Well, mabie i will call my vet and see what they think about all this... I guess that i am glad that I researched it and didn't just let it go. I really wanted it to be easier than this though!!!
Ok..let us know what your vet thinks.

Katie

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it sure will get easier as time goes on - CONGRATULATIONS on the adoption of your very first kitty
trust me when I say you will never regret this decision - the love of a cat is unlike anything else