Eye color on Ragdoll

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just curious why the person would breed or let her cats breed but just give them a way, I know you don't care if yours is a pure bred or not, and I wouldn't care if you did "go around saying she /he is a pure bred" who cares if you do? he looks it enough. I just thought the breeder seemed to be hiding some thing, thats all. Like the breeder I was talking about, she took them to the shelter to hide she had some "oops" litters. I was just wondering if this was a simular case, that was all. I thought it may help to know that a half breed and a pure bred makes a 3/4th and this may have been what the breeder did (or her breeder) they look pure bred enough, and they could pass them off as such. Most will tell you with out papers he is a moggie, but if you know about the genetics, and that yours could be 3/4ths or even more than it's good to know, even if it doesn't mean much on paper, only for your self.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

I was just curious why the person would breed or let her cats breed but just give them a way, I know you don't care if yours is a pure bred or not, and I wouldn't care if you did "go around saying she /he is a pure bred" who cares if you do? he looks it enough. I just thought the breeder seemed to be hiding some thing, thats all. Like the breeder I was talking about, she took them to the shelter to hide she had some "oops" litters. I was just wondering if this was a simular case, that was all. I thought it may help to know that a half breed and a pure bred makes a 3/4th and this may have been what the breeder did (or her breeder) they look pure bred enough, and they could pass them off as such. Most will tell you with out papers he is a moggie, but if you know about the genetics, and that yours could be 3/4ths or even more than it's good to know, even if it doesn't mean much on paper, only for your self.
Ahhh, I understand your curiousity. I don't think she was hiding anything... she sent me pics of both parents when I asked for them, answered every question and was quite nice.

She did mention that she wanted to breed and sell (for an income), but her health is not great, and her husband has cancer. She said she had planned on keeping him but when she saw my wanted ad, she felt compelled to message me. She didn't have an ad up or anything, but liked mine and with her husbands health deteriorating and her working so much, she felt it best to give Kizzy to me.

honestly, when I first got him, found out he was sick ( URI and ringworm, and a tad underweight) I thought that was the reason she gave him away. Now, after talking to her (I emailed her after I got him home, asking about him wheezing and the missing fur on his tail) I'm pretty sure she didn't know he was sick. She said herself, she didn't have time to love the cats..she fed them, and scooped the box but that was it. She never heard him wheezing and thought the missing fur was due to the fights he got into with his parents.

I keep in contact with her because of the ringworm issue...knowing her husband has had chemo, etc. I wanted to inform her of it, so she could mention it to her dr and hubby's dr.

Hope that helps your curiousity.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Interesting. I do not know about feline genetics at all. Thanks for the info on the pointed gene.

All this makes me more interested to see how he progresses.

It also makes me want to search out another Ragdoll
I love Kizzy's temperment, looks, etc. Who knows, maybe in the future. Took me 5-6yrs to convince my hubby of one kitty
I'm not going to push my luck for a second anytime soon.
Oh yes, Ragdolls are amazing. Although I have 5 cats, I can't imagine the house if I had 5 Ragdolls. Smudge is just INSANE, LOL. But if Kizzy has the Ragdoll temperament, your hubby will fall in love with him. Like potato chips, you can't have just one Ragdoll!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sounds like an average size, He may not get all that big. It takes Raggys about 3-4 yrs to reach full size (like Maine Coons). But he may only reach 14-15, not the 18-20 for a male.

Family Time - I do agree 100% with you - Ragdolls IMO should only be pointed/pointed-bicolor/mitted cats. Not solids. If you want solid or other colors, then go to the Rag muffins (IMO they should not allow the pointed pattern in that breed).

Although Ocicats come in the classic, ticked and ghost spotted (pointed) patterns cause of their ancestors, ONLY the spotted pattern will be in the show rings. The breeders don't want the other patterns to be shown and its not as common to get them unless you are outcrossing to the abys (till 2015).

But in Australia, some of the Ocicat breeders are working with the classic pattern to get them recognized as a separate breed - not part of the Ocicat breed.
We've had the classic Ocicat here in NZCF for about eight years, they're called Classicat's

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I have to stop thinking of Australia and New Zealand as being the "same" big country. I apoligize to both of you

I kinda like the classics (its different shape then the traditional bullseye on an American SH), but still like the spotted better.