Eye Color Change

dragonwyke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i aquired a lovely little kitten that we named Solo.  he is just wonderful.  we figured him to be around 3-4mos old when he came to us.  he was left behind when his previous owner moved back home and her parents wouldn't allow her to bring her kitten.  she left in the middle of the night and abandoned the kitten.  when he came to us he was full of worms and skittish, but he's overcome all of that in the last 3wks that he's been here. 

i noticed when he arrived that his eyes were pale green w/a blue wash in the center of them.  now 3wks later i looked at his eyes again and they've changed color completely.  his eyes are now a distinct deep gold w/a bright green wash in the center around the pupils.  at what age do kittens eyes stop changing color?

we have no information at all about Solo.  the girl left and told no one anything about him.  we have no health history, no age, nothing to go on w/him.  we guessed his age by his teeth as compared to pictures, we could be entirely wrong.  so seeing his eyes change like this is quite disconcerting, to say the least.  

any ideas?

Dragonwyke~ 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you taken him to the vet to be checked out? Vets can usually tell the age of very young kittens, but once they get tclose to a year old it's much harder to tell.

On the eye color, my only experience is with the kittens Goldy had 4 years ago. It seems like the major changes happened within the first 6-8 months, but they didn't really settle on a permanent eye color until the were at least 2 years old. Sometimes I think they still change contact lenses every day just to confuse me. :lol3:

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I brought home my younger cat at 8 week old, he had mostly green eyes with some blue left in them. The blue was gone within a couple weeks, and his eyes stayed green for the most part. They darkened up a little bit from a jade color to more of a golden green, but nothing too drastic. Certainly no changes 2 years later for my cats haha.

Last edited:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depenending on the eye color it can take few years. Hormonal changes can affect too, like pregnancy. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragonwyke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
EXCELLENT news!!!!!!!  so glad there's nothing to worry about w/Solo's eyes.  :D  being's he's my first cat i don't want anything to happen to him.  i'm beginning to thing i've been missing all these 50yrs. i've been catless, lol.  cuz, i'm tellin' ya i think i've fallen in love. 

Dragonwyke~

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
EXCELLENT news!!!!!!!  so glad there's nothing to worry about w/Solo's eyes.  :D  being's he's my first cat i don't want anything to happen to him.  i'm beginning to thing i've been missing all these 50yrs. i've been catless, lol.  cuz, i'm tellin' ya i think i've fallen in love. 

Dragonwyke~

:yeah: It happens to the best of us. :D