Extremely Stressed Out.

Aico & Nacho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the last month my mother-in-law has been living with my husband and I. We used to be really close, but she's now dealing with Alzheimer's and her personality has changed big time. She moved in because she could no longer be trusted to live alone as she started a small fire in her kitchen while attempting to fix herself dinner. This is supposed to only be temporary as they're looking for a place for her to move to that has experience taking care of people with her condition.

Everyday she cusses and belittles me for supposedly being pregnant out of wedlock. My husband and I have been married for four years, but she doesn't remember that. Even if we weren't, I don't find being pregnant without being married that big of a deal. She also shoved me pretty hard yesterday when I placed her lunch in front of her because the crust was still on her bread. That wasn't the first time she placed her hands on me either.

Not only does she get physical with me, but she also fusses constantly about the cats and yells at them to get out of her sight. I'm sorry but this is their house too and I'm not locking them up in our bedroom just to appease her. They were here first.

I really do love my mother-in-law so much, but having her here just isn't working out. I'm already a bit more emotional than usual because of my pregnancy, but constantly being called every name in the book everyday isn't easy to deal with. I know it isn't her true feelings, it's her horrible disease making her say and do these things but it still hurts. It's also hard for me to not snap back.

My husband is sympathetic, but it's his mom and he doesn't want to say too much to her and when he does speak up it doesn't do any good anyway. I hope I don't sound over dramatic, but I really that hope they're able to find a place where she'll be taken good care of sooner rather than later because I don't want my baby born into this kind of situation.

I'm sorry for rambling on and on, but I just needed somewhere to vent and since I come on here daily and love the site, this just seemed like the best place to do it.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's rough. I couldn't deal with it, you're awesome! Is there a way to get ahold of her caseworker and tell them to hurry up? I mean, what would they do if she didn't have family? There must be something they can do to speed things up.

I hope they can find a nice Memory Care center for her soon! My aunt was in one for a while while recovering from meningitis and it was a nice place.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry this is happening. Do they have respite care there, where someone will care for her for a day or so and you can get a break? If you have the funds, you could take the cats and go to a hotel for a night or so and you can relax, maybe get some room service or go out for a nice meal. You certainly deserve it.

Again so sorry. We're always here for venting.

Hugs,

Mia :alright::hearthrob:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think you are overreacting at all - anyone (especially a loved one you know is suffering) getting physical or verbally berating is very upsetting. :heartshape: Sending good vibes your way. I do have any good suggestions, it’s a tough situation all around and feel free to come and vent as much as you need. You should have someone to talk to.

Don’t forget to take care of yourself.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's rough. I couldn't deal with it, you're awesome! Is there a way to get ahold of her caseworker and tell them to hurry up? I mean, what would they do if she didn't have family? There must be something they can do to speed things up.

I hope they can find a nice Memory Care center for her soon! My aunt was in one for a while while recovering from meningitis and it was a nice place.
Yes, I would call the caseworker and tell them to hurry up as well in finding a GOOD place. Tell them that's she's getting physical, has shoved you, yells at your pets, and since you're expecting (congratulations by the way!!! :party: :wave3:), and that this will be a dangerous environment for everyone once the baby arrives.
You've already accepted that it's not her doing these things, but it's the horrible disease, Alzheimer's is nasty business. I visited an Alzheimer's ward when I was a kid, and an old lady suffering from this called the group of people I was with "old bitches" and kept telling us all to get out. I bet she was a very nice lady before this disease took hold of her. I'm glad you recognize the facts of the disease.
As rough as it will be, keep an eye on the place they take her to, in order to make sure things are going well. As Willowy said, there are nice places, lots of them (I've been in a few good ones, the nurses are dedicated and make it an amazing place for them) but some of them aren't. Just try to remember to be a fly on the wall to make sure she's being cared for up to your standards.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry this is happening. Do they have respite care there, where someone will care for her for a day or so and you can get a break? If you have the funds, you could take the cats and go to a hotel for a night or so and you can relax, maybe get some room service or go out for a nice meal. You certainly deserve it.

Again so sorry. We're always here for venting.

Hugs,

Mia :alright::hearthrob:
Yes, if you can find someone to help you fill in the gaps of care this will be a good strain removed from you and your unborn kiddo.
And yep, no venting is ever turned away here :wave3: I've done my fair share of complaining and do it all the time, and most people still put up with me :biggrin: It's a great community for cat lovers to talk about problems with their pets but it's also a great community to call an "internet home".

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She also shoved me pretty hard yesterday when I placed her lunch in front of her because the crust was still on her bread. That wasn't the first time she placed her hands on me either.
This worries me that she's shoving you while pregnant. :( I agree, I would talk to her caseworker about what is going on, and maybe they can speed things up. Congrats on the baby and I hope things go more smoothly from now on.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I empathize with you. :hugs: My mother suffered from dementia when I was pregnant with our second child. I won't say it's easy even though you know it's the disease taking control of her emotions. However, have you ever heard that frequently people who have Dementia/Alzheimer's take it out on the family members they love the most? I hope in some small way that makes you remember how she was prior to her diagnosis.

Sending special thoughts to you in the hope that they find a suitable facility to give her the type of comfort and care she requires. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aico & Nacho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We actually got a call today and the place that we liked the most has a opening as of next week. We know someone that works there and we all think it will be a good fit for her. Not to mention, it's only a five or ten minute drive from our house depending on traffic.

Do they have respite care there, where someone will care for her for a day or so and you can get a break? If you have the funds, you could take the cats and go to a hotel for a night or so and you can relax, maybe get some room service or go out for a nice meal. You certainly deserve it.
I'm not sure if we have that here or not, but we do have a friend coming over to keep an eye on her in a little while so that my husband and I can go out for dinner.

As rough as it will be, keep an eye on the place they take her to, in order to make sure things are going well. As Willowy said, there are nice places, lots of them (I've been in a few good ones, the nurses are dedicated and make it an amazing place for them) but some of them aren't. Just try to remember to be a fly on the wall to make sure she's being cared for up to your standards.
I'll definitely be keeping a check on her care and my DH and I will be visiting often. If we see something we don't like, we'll speak up and get it corrected right away.

Congrats on the baby and I hope things go more smoothly from now on.
Thank you. :) I sure hope so too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: My (very much beloved) grandma swore till she lost the ability to talk; that my Grandfather (who was in his mid 80s) put her in the nursing home because his girlfriend was pregnant and he was moving her in. ;) She would also become combative and irrational. Her frustration was palpable. It was almost a blessing when she became too weak to walk off; but of course that just frustrated her more. Nothing about dementia is a blessing.

My Aunt and Grandpa did attend a support group for a while. It helped them to understand that so much of what was going on was normal. And to understand what Gram was going through from her point of view. We just had to settle in our minds that Grandma wasn't Grandma anymore. She went into a care home that my Aunt actually managed the office for; so she was literally down the hall. The girls there could calm Gram in a way we couldn't anymore. Since I live several states away; it comforted ME to know they were there for her. I just never took anything else personal. I felt the worst for my Grandpa. But man he was a rock; always sending or taking flowers from the garden or little treats to snack on. At one point she thought I was my aunt, my daughter was my cousin and my Mom was still herself so she kept insisting my mother needed to have a baby. And she all but called us idiots when we insisted that I was my mother's baby. We can laugh about it now. Sort of! I wonder if in her mind the guy who sent her treats and flowers was the young man she married and not the mean old man who put her in there. Like I said; Gram just wasn't Gram anymore. Her mind died long before her body. :sigh:

So in a lot of ways I completely understand. :hugs: And being pregnant definitely makes it harder to handle things. I always swore I wasn't overly emotional while pregnant. Until I come across a facebook memory :paperbag:. :lol2::paperbag:

I'm glad you have a place lined up now! It's not fun; but sometimes it is the best thing for everyone. And when I was able to bring my kids as babies to visit Gram she just lit up. She had a stuffed dog she would cuddle; but getting to hold babies was just the sweetest thing to see. Of course she wasn't as strong as your MIL; so we were always right there. But I was happy to do anything I could to make her happy.

Please let us know how it's going.

katfisk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't dealt with a family member developing dementia, but I worked as a Certified Nursing Assistant in an assisted living facility with a memory care wing for a little over a year. We would develop friendships with many of the residents, and every once in awhile we'd see an elderly friend of ours transition from general assisted living to the memory wing. We would also work closely with family members when determining care for those in the memory care wing. In both cases in became really apparent that dementia makes people into someone new, at least partly. There's a lot of grieving that has to happen, I think. In my experience, many people had to deal with the fact that they lost their parent in a very big way, but then were left caring for the rude, sometimes violent stranger who took away their parent! Of course everyone intellectually knows this isn't true but it's an emotional reality I saw a lot of families have to work through. Paired with windows of lucidity when your parent peeks back through....man. Dementia in a loved one is just one of the hardest things to live with. And on top of pregnancy?? You're going through the lion's share of hardship!

I'm really glad you found a good place for your MIL to move to. You deserve to have peace and stability in your life, and it sounds like she will have the care she needs.

If I may be so bold, especially since I'm sure you're already thought of this: I just want to underscore the benefits of cultivating relationships with the caregivers, especially as they get to know your MIL. They'll be your best friends through the process. There were many times we caregivers pulled disheartened family visitors aside to tell them to keep visiting because, though their family member didn't seem to recognize them face-to-face they would (for example) sing for the rest of the day after the family left. Or there were other times we would let them know a specific photo would trigger bad episodes and suggest they replace it with something else. And honestly, caregivers have the blessing of never knowing your MIL before so they can easily take her at face value and love her for all her quirks. We have some pretty great stories to share with family members, and I think this helps build bridges with your "new" MIL ("Did you know she worked for the KGB? She didn't? Well told us all about her days as a spy over coffee this morning!") :)

I wish you the best of luck!

Aico & Nacho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
However, have you ever heard that frequently people who have Dementia/Alzheimer's take it out on the family members they love the most?
I have heard this which in a way would make sense. I've known my MIL since I was five years old. She was my Sunday school teacher at church and was like a second mom to me. She is the one who introduced me to her son and she was thrilled when we started dating. I feel like she hand picked me to be her daughter-in-law, so knowing how close we were I can see where the scenario you mentioned could be true.

How was your dinner out last night?
Dinner was great and we even seen a movie. We came home to her lashing out at us over supposedly making her get rid of her dog because of our cats. Her dog had to be put down a year ago because he had an aggressive form on cancer. My friend showed her pictures of her puppy which triggered this episode.
If I may be so bold, especially since I'm sure you're already thought of this: I just want to underscore the benefits of cultivating relationships with the caregivers, especially as they get to know your MIL.
I'll definitely befriend her caregivers and get to know them while they get to know her and my husband and I. We plan to visit her often and we'll help out where we can to make her introduction to the center a smooth one.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm facing similar issues with my Mom but not sure how to proceed. I have this all mentioned in my thread in the stray and feral cats but this morning she just called the police on me because of the cats saying I was destroying her home. I have no idea what to do

Aico & Nacho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf I'm so sorry that you're having issues too. My MIL has never called the police on me, but perhaps because the roles are reversed and she's currently living with my husband and I. I hope that the two of you can learn to coexist peacefully, but if not there has to be someone you can contact to get help with her. What did the police say to her when she called?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf I'm so sorry that you're having issues too. My MIL has never called the police on me, but perhaps because the roles are reversed and she's currently living with my husband and I. I hope that the two of you can learn to coexist peacefully, but if not there has to be someone you can contact to get help with her. What did the police say to her when she called?
Sadly the police are on her side since this has been her home since 1947 so they came and both made me take down everything but the food and I guess that will be next. All the cats were outside watching and yowling, thinking I wanted to get rid of them (they came from hoarding situation). My heart is breaking in two over this. I have tried to get help an no one bohers to help me :(

Aico & Nacho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sadly the police are on her side since this has been her home since 1947 so they came and both made me take down everything but the food and I guess that will be next. All the cats were outside watching and yowling, thinking I wanted to get rid of them (they came from hoarding situation). My heart is breaking in two over this. I have tried to get help an no one bohers to help me :(
My heart aches for you and the cats. They've already been through so much and you've spent so much time caring for and getting attached to them. I don't have any good advice because my situation is a bit different, but I hope your mom has a change of heart. Do you believe she's serious about you and cats leaving within a month?