Extremely small newborn kittens. 44 grams and 39 grams.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that’s over about a 24 hour period.

I’m checking on then roughly every 2 hours. If they aren’t nursing, I weigh and record and then try to get them on a nipple. If they won’t nurse, I’ll see how much they’ll take from me and then weigh again. If I don’t get them up at least a gram, I’ll try to get them on mom and/or take the next kitten and try again 5-10 minutes later.

If they keep nursing while I’m in there, I won’t take them off. Doing that has resulted in them gaining a gram or so by the next weighing.

Since about 11 pm last night they have either maintained weight between feedings or are gaining between feedings. In the beginning they would gain and then loose half the gains between feedings, but they also weren’t nursing much.
I’m definitely not hesitating to supplement, but I’m prioritizing nursing from mom provided their numbers keep going up.
Excellent. The way to go. A handbook example!

After some time, you will of course become extremely tired and permanently groggy... There is really no help for this...
In a human hospital the helpers are changing off each others, its feasible there, both by numbers and by them all well trained.

With a rescuer there is usually just one whom is trained there... So unless your hubby or one of your kids is almost as good as you, you must fight on and proceed.
What you CAN do, is to organize things so the hubby / kids / some friend / or a friendly neighour, steps in and helps you with organizing the everyday needs. Alike preparing meals, doing necessary cleaning, taking care of your childs / other animals, doing the shop errands...

So your tasks will be "just" to help these kittens, and taking your own naps whenever you have half an hour over.... (yeah, power naps are working surprising well).

Praying helps too. How much praying helps by themselves for the self healing, may be discussed, but they will help YOU with finding the strengh, the patience. the courage to endure and proceed....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is it going?
We wish reports. Even if we do understand you are exhausted...
We are thinking on you and your protegees...

N Nylonbottle