Extreme Vocalization

flinch4me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay lately I have been at home and I knew my cat Pangur was Vocal often but man this is like constant non-stop meowing. 

I understand the stir crazy life-style of a cat in a smaller space but it has been more and more constant. It's loud and almost annoying and I don't understand her muse. 

I know that it could be from not being fixed as of yet but she has done this since when she was younger too... Since she is still young as a cat and not hit her first heat yet...She has been meowing since I can remember... Not just from teenage cat-hood. Anyone have a problem with this as well? I am wondering if she might be even half siamese cause she is that vocal all the time. 

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has she been checked out thoroughly by a vet? I know that hyperthyroid can cause howling. My old girl (16) howls loudly because she is hard-of-hearing and has some dementia, but that wouldn't be the case for yours. I guess I would first rule out any possible medical reason for the howling. She is a cutie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flinch4me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
before I brought her to my house about two months ago she was weighed, her ears where checked as was her mouth and her stomach (at least by the doctor looking at it)... and then she was given her shots and vaccines... I would think she would be all clear because he didn't mention needing anything in particular 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since she's not spayed yet, she's probably in heat and crying to get out.  You need to get her spayed NOW. 

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simese are very vocal anyway.  But a couple of my girls are also spayed and they "talk" all the time, and very loudly, too!!  I find it amusing and I carry on conversations with them!! I've actually gotten it on video!!  But if she is yeowling and crying an eerie sounding cry, she is in heat.  They can come in to heat starting anywhere at 5 months on and unlike dogs and people, they continue to come into heat until they get pregnant.  So have her fixed.  That'll quiet her some.  And if it doesn't and you still notice it a month or so after spaying (time for the hormones to leave her system) then take her back to the vet.  They should do a check over first but I am guessing the first thing they will say is "She's in heat!" 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meowing can be from boredom, do you play with her? does she have lots of toys available? A window to look out of...

Of course being unspayed she could well be in heat too, kittens can call from a very young age. The earliest I've personally had is 15 weeks. 

flinch4me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 for those telling me she needs to be fixed she has NOT been showing signs of heat at all....there is no yowling and I have been watching her carefully for it and in fact she hasn't been doing any yowling whatsoever... just murmering..... Sounds kind of like merrrow (full meow) mar...marrrow... or mer...

and she has been kind of getting more affectionate I will admit that but that could be from me being gone for awhile...  but otherwise I think she has been meowing more from boredom then from heat...and I said this before in my last couple posts... there is no Yowling no howling nothing... just meows and murmers. 

That is why I asked if maybe she might be meowing just to meow... she's been doing it since I have had her even as a kitten and is very vocal even as a two week old kitten... So it's NOT from the fact she is in heat... sometimes she does it to call to her girl friend (nutterbutter) who also lives with us which I have noticed and sometimes she seems to try to get my attention... I talk to her and sometimes I have noticed she does it more when I am reading...seeing as I read aloud... She does it when I speak as though she is talking with me.... 

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do not always yowl when in heat but they will become more vocal... Also, they can have "silent heats" and show no sign of being in heat... If she is 5 months old or older, she is coming into heat.  It is just a fact of life.  So you need to set an appointment to have her spayed if you do not want her having kittens.  Female cats come into heat until they get pregnant, they do not have a designated mating season like dogs do.  But, most people were just saying that she could be in heat and that is why she is more vocal. 

It's up to you if you spay her or not.  But it is best for her healthwise and mentally to be spayed. 

My cats talk to me like that, too.  They are spayed.  They are just vocal because I've always been vocal and attentive to them. 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 for those telling me she needs to be fixed she has NOT been showing signs of heat at all....
Regardless, she still needs to be fixed and preferably before the first heat cycle.

Also as mentioned cats can have silent heats, and first heats are often not overly loud.

flinch4me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not to worry everyone I called in earlier this week to PAWS for the low-income spaying (because I am technically struggling to find a place to get her fixed that I can afford).

They have $40 per spaying + a Microchip...

She has been doing the heat stopping and lifting her butt in the air this weekend and I feel really bad for her...

Before everyone tells me "I told you so" she was vocal to begin with when we first got her just to let everyone know... and I was curious if there could be other reasons for her vocalization.... anyway 

The continuously heat thing isn't entirely true cats go into heat once a month or every two weeks at the most... right now I am kind of waiting til she is done with her first heat... I do feel bad I didn't get her fixed sooner but finding a place that was cheaper for spaying was easier said then done... Although if I do get approved for the low-income spaying it will definitely be quieter... or so I think... anyway this was just to inform everyone 

P.S. They are both indoor cats once again they won't get pregnant and I plan on keeping a very good eye on both of them so it won't happen... I've also been keeping an eye outside for other cats... so far all clear.. I am assuming most people have their cats fixed around my house. 

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The continuously heat thing isn't entirely true cats go into heat once a month or every two weeks at the most... right now I am kind of waiting til she is done with her first heat... I do feel bad I didn't get her fixed sooner but finding a place that was cheaper for spaying was easier said then done... Although if I do get approved for the low-income spaying it will definitely be quieter... or so I think... anyway this was just to inform everyone 

P.S. They are both indoor cats once again they won't get pregnant and I plan on keeping a very good eye on both of them so it won't happen... I've also been keeping an eye outside for other cats... so far all clear.. I am assuming most people have their cats fixed around my house. 
What I meant by the statement was that they continuously go into heat... With maybe a week or 2 out of heat if you're lucky, until they get pregnant.  It isn't like dogs where they go into heat every six months or so.  People always believe cats and dogs are similar but they are in fact very, very different animals... They really couldn't be more different honestly... The only thing that is really similar is that they are both considered "companion animals." 

It's good you are getting her spayed.  She'll be healthier and happier for it!!

flinch4me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah especially seeing as she seems so frustrated with everyone.. She gets mad at sophie (our dog) and Nutter Butter (the other female cat we have) because neither of them can do anything for her. And I am really feeling for her 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The continuously heat thing isn't entirely true cats go into heat once a month or every two weeks at the most...
Cats absolutely can be continuously in heat. As a breeder I have seen it myself, and know of other breeders who report the same.

Glad you're getting her spay sorted out.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of the feral cats we rescued and moved into a cattery cycled in and out of heat every five days for about a month until we could get her spayed.  In the interim, she lost a fair amount of weight and developed a skin condition.  Glad you're getting her spayed; so will she.

flinch4me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She went four days of heat then stopped...which surprised me...actually she is rather quiet since then... like very very very quiet like she is confused about what happened... I am going to call PAWS again today to figure out why they haven't called me yet about her spaying date