Extreme fear response

anulikah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I've had cats for many years including rescuing feral cats.  Currently my house has 4 cats, 2 older and 2 at about 2 years.  The younger cats were adopted together but were not litter mates.

One of these 2 younger ones is friendly and fearless at most times.  However, ever since her spay she goes 'nuts' whenever any of the cats go to the vet.  She will hiss, growl and attack, run around and bounce off walls etc.  It is not a small thing and lasts well over a week, or this time, it hasn't ended.

I have tried Feliway, using tranqs on her before and after she goes to the vet or anyone else does, separating her when a vet related incident is about to happen, and I've tried her on amytriptoline.  Nothing is helping her this time.  It is very stressful for all of us, but I especially feel badly for her and am out of ideas.  My vet agrees that is is fear but had no other ideas...unless she starts really hurting me, the other cats or herself.  We aren't there yet and I don't want her to be a zombie.

When this isn't going on all 4 get along very well......

Any ideas???

Thanks......

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Something I read once, about how some cats in a household will object to the cat that's been to the Vet...............is that as soon as the cat that's been to the Vet is back home, take a small towel (like a hand towel, or a tea towel) and rub it all over that cat....................THEN rub that towel over the aggressive cat so that you're getting the "vet smell/scent" all over that cat as well.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anulikah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Something I read once, about how some cats in a household will object to the cat that's been to the Vet...............is that as soon as the cat that's been to the Vet is back home, take a small towel (like a hand towel, or a tea towel) and rub it all over that cat....................THEN rub that towel over the aggressive cat so that you're getting the "vet smell/scent" all over that cat as well.  

I had forgotten that one.  I will try it.  I also realized that the crazy one has turned the bedroom into her fortress in this house which I don't think is good.  I think when I lived in another house and she did this, she was forced to interact more. I have a grand nephew coming today who will shake things up with his terrible twos, but maybe tomorrow I can work on getting her out and about with the other cats.  Watching yesterday I also noted that the other cats aren't as scared by her antics anymore.  Not sure what impact that will have.....