Extreme extended nausea, help!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually the adults will take a bad URI much better than the kittens. The 2 cats of mine that wound up in an oxygen tent were only about 3 months old at the time, and were so congested that they were wheezing with every breath, and their eyes were so runny that they were nearly crusted shut. The vet put them under oxygen, gave them sub-q's and force fed them when they wouldn't eat. If Abbey gets to the point that her breathing is truly labored, you might want to consider doing this. She actually doesn't look at bad as my kittens were, but then a video doesn't always show what you see every day (and I'm sitting at work so can't turn the volume up).

Did the vet give you any antibiotics for Abby? If not, you might want to ask for some to give her as a preventative measure (opportunistic bacterial invasion).

And just fyi - Bogart (one of the kittens under oxygen), ended up with chronic, life long respiratory issues. His respiratory tract was damaged by the rhino and he sneezed and wheezed the rest of his life (lost him at 13 years to CRF). When it gets that bad, there can be permanent damage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Abby and the mom/kits are all on Clavamox, plus Abby is on an appetite stimulant/antihistimine. I will probably treat my own cats with it too, just to keep pneumonia at bay.

With Abby, her temp went down today. So far she has had a temp of 106 every other day and normal each day in between. When she is normal she is a lot better, altho her cold symptoms are the same.

When her temp is up, she virtually does not move, and when she does, it is limping and staggering. And she can only walk a few steps and then she goes into a crouching position. It is very scary; I literally started crying when I saw her doing it. I just learned that she very likely has a limping strain of calicivirus, which I did not even know existed.

They also gave me A/D for force-feeding her. She has not eaten on her own in about a week. I have to give her a can a day by syringe. And my cat sitter who is a vet tech has been coming over to give her sub-q fluids. I also give her water by syringe but she is surviving through the fluids. Her body soaks them up like a sponge.

I agree that your kittens were probably worse than all these guys as far as the labored breathing and crusty eyes. I have seen that at other houses where they are not moving and are gasping for breath, and it is what I fear the most.

Altho I am truly horrified at the way these cats all sound, their eyes are not crusted closed and the little ones are very active, and I consider it a blessing. But I am still utterly petrified, especially now that my own cats are starting to get it. I am most worried that my fattie Bell will die.

dianna56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wish you luck! try to get her to eat, even if you have to force feed watered down wet food through a syringe, not-eating will only make her far worse.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarbB

Yeah, Abby and the mom/kits are all on Clavamox, plus Abby is on an appetite stimulant/antihistimine. I will probably treat my own cats with it too, just to keep pneumonia at bay.

With Abby, her temp went down today. So far she has had a temp of 106 every other day and normal each day in between. When she is normal she is a lot better, altho her cold symptoms are the same.

When her temp is up, she virtually does not move, and when she does, it is limping and staggering. And she can only walk a few steps and then she goes into a crouching position. It is very scary; I literally started crying when I saw her doing it. I just learned that she very likely has a limping strain of calicivirus, which I did not even know existed.

They also gave me A/D for force-feeding her. She has not eaten on her own in about a week. I have to give her a can a day by syringe. And my cat sitter who is a vet tech has been coming over to give her sub-q fluids. I also give her water by syringe but she is surviving through the fluids. Her body soaks them up like a sponge.

I agree that your kittens were probably worse than all these guys as far as the labored breathing and crusty eyes. I have seen that at other houses where they are not moving and are gasping for breath, and it is what I fear the most.

Altho I am truly horrified at the way these cats all sound, their eyes are not crusted closed and the little ones are very active, and I consider it a blessing. But I am still utterly petrified, especially now that my own cats are starting to get it. I am most worried that my fattie Bell will die.
Make sure your cats are on L-Lysine... It will help them to fight an URI. Since there is this onset in the house, I would give everybody 500mg/day.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Make sure your cats are on L-Lysine... It will help them to fight an URI. Since there is this onset in the house, I would give everybody 500mg/day.
I have a jug of powdered pharmacy grade L-Lysine that I got thru iherbs.com. If they won't eat it in the food, you can put it in their water. 500mg is the dose for an adult cat for preventative measures. Cats that are sick can get up to 2000mg a day. If you choose to use this, call your vet about dosage for smaller cats and kittens.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

This is exactly what I was going to say. Jordan had the drooling thing for a day or two before his first herpes flare up. If it is viral, L-Lysine will help thier little systems fight the virus off. Lots of vibes for the kitties to get better

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just checked my supplies and I do have something called viralis (?) which I am going to try putting on the cats' food. If that doesn't work, I will look for the product to put into their water.

I called the at-home vet b/c my Bell goes crazy when she has to physically go there, and I don't want to stress her out while she is ill. The vet is going to call me back after 7. In the meantime I just went ahead and started her on Clavamox to keep it from becoming bacterial, given her fatness, lack of movement, not eating today, and being 12 yrs old. I was only able to get half (IMO she shd have 100 & I could only get 50 not 75 liquid into her b/c she is so big) of what she needs into her tho.

If I can get some A/D into her today, I definitely will. Bell is one of those cats though, where you really can't normally handle her. I tell most people they can only pet her head. She will climb up and all over me, but she doesn't want to be handled anywhere other than her head, and her back in a limited way b/c she gets too excited.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Abby is doing much better now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k61VzC1MzMk; here she is playing. She still has sniffles but is much improved. One of my friends said limping calici is like that, they go from near death and super high temps to just fine very quickly. I'm just glad I do not have to force feed her or give fluids anymore- whew.

My own cats are all sick, Bell is the worst. She is eating very little but does not seem to have a temperature. I cannot take her temp either because she doesn't like being touched. She tore the bejesus out of the at-home vet's hand with her claw- long story. Anyhow her throat is very sore. Can anyone recommend anything for a sore throat for a cat?