extreme constipation, might need surgery :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mayadot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At any rate, I'm certainly happy that something came out, though I'm not sure if this is sufficient progress to avoid an enema. 

Thanks very much for sharing your stories poppysmummy,and cocheezie, those are really helpful in easing my fears.

my cat had chronic constipation...has anyone tried massaging her anal area?

worked for us sometimes
I realize how ridiculous this question sounds, mycatwasthebest, but can you describe exactly what you mean by "anal area" and how you massaged it? I have been trying to massage his tummy downwards a lot, hoping that would stimulate things. It did seem to cause him to go when he was having the diarrhea initially, but since then I haven't noticed an effect.

As poppysmummy said, the enema, with the light sedation, is really less of a concern than impaction. In the end you've got to do what you feel is best for Nub, based on the information you've got. You'll be able to see your preferred vet tomorrow, so hopefully that will make your decision easier. Enemas are not typically a major deal, that's why I can't help but think there is some reason that the vet is reluctant to do the enema. It's something you may want to ask them tomorrow. Hopefully his nausea is still settled. Is he drinking lots of water? That's helpful, of course. Water with a little tuna juice in it might entice him. Come on Nub, poop, guy!

About the metamucil, the instructions you received, 1 teaspoon sprinkled on food, are exactly the same as I received from my vet last week for my constipated kitty. 
Thanks for the comforting words. As for the metamucil, most sources I have seen say to give 1/8-1/4 of a teaspoon, starting with 1/8 and working your way up. If you put a tiny amount in a cup and add water you'll see how much it bulks up, and I can imagine that so much of it might cause a problem in some cats. Obviously if you trust your vet then do as they say, but I would consider starting with less and adding more over time if need be. Also I had much better luck with lactulose, which both of my vets said is safe to give long term, and I know a lot of people on this forum are fans of slippery elm, which I may try next once (hopefully!!!) his tummy settles down.

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it depends how much pain shes in but you'll find out because its exactly what it sounds like...if u won't touch your cats anus who will (for free)?

I am just talking light VERY mild pressure, not much more than a feather until u see if shes in pain...just put a finger on each side of her butthole and go down like if u were massaging a person...if she's cooperative and/or/likes it go around in circles varying the pressure-but this is only a two inch square space....

maybe look at a pic of a cats anatomy if u don't know where the anal glands are before you do this...dealing with them is a whole other story but they are blocked so is her poo

just like a person sometimes a little stimulation gets things going

.don't try to massage her anus directly unless she offers it to you or is really enjoying it...she may have been waiting for u to help

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is GREAT!!!! Yes, definitely good!!! Do a happy dance!!!
Look for more to possibly come out....you saw the X-rays so you should have an idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mayadot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have more poop!!! He just went a couple of times and had some hard but much more normal-seeming poop. The vet said to continue giving the Emeprid (Metoclopramide) to encourage motility for one more day (today), and then if his poop continues to be hard to start adding lactulose to his food from tomorrow. 

I will start looking into the slippery elm, but I'm wondering if I need to also switch his food in general. He has been eating Trovet Hypoallergenic Quail for a long time now because he was suffering from unknown allergies, but I'm pretty sure that the allergens are environmental and the food hasn't actually alleviated them much. The food is just quail and rice, which I'm guessing is white rice, so contains no fiber at all, and I imagine that is contributing to his constipation. He also has a bit of arthritis in his back and tail, so I think I should switch to a food that supports that, and the fact that he's getting a bit older.

Any food suggestions are welcome, but I know there's a whole separate forum for that. 

Thanks so much again for all of the advice and support. I am extremely grateful that such a community exists. 

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great news about Nub's accomplishments!!!! A cat nutritionist, I am not, but lots of water, of course, can go a long way in preventing constipation. I'm so glad he's making progress. Go, Nub, go!!

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just tuning in here and delighted to read about the great progress that Nub has been making. That is wonderful news indeed!
You both must be quite relieved!

Yes, it would be a good idea to re-evaluate Nub's food at this point. It could be that the rice in the diet is no longer being well tolerated. Switching to a grain-free or total wet food diet would certainly help I think and incorporating the Slippery Elm will help to alleviate any IBS symptoms Nub may be dealing with, but also to stabilize his BMs and provide a bit of a fiber source.

Best wishes for continued improvement for Nub!