Extreme agression after fixing

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got our cats fixed about three weeks ago and after 10 days we took off the mothers cone but left on the kittens cone because his incisions got infected. Ever since we took off her cone she has been snapping at her kitten. She wont let him come near her at allllllll. She hisses at him whn all he does is walk by, she pats him and even makes this high pitched screach sometimes. Its getting bad and im getting worried.

This only started AFTER they came back from the vet... Do you guys think that something happened at the vet?
Because before the fixing she was still very maturnal towards him, but now she acts like she hates his guts.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he still have the cone on? That can really confuse the other cats, and the coned cat isn't able to interact normally. Once it's off, I'd say they just have to work it out. How does he act when she gets after him?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TashaaM

50 views and no answers?
I'm sorry no one replied, this is the first time I came across this thread and I understand your frustration......
It is extremely common for cats to reject one another after surgery or illness. Not only is she healing and going through hormonal changes, but her kitten smells completely different. Poor little guy is probably looking for some love and she simply wants to be left alone. I would try to give her space, let her settle down, and give him some extra attention and distraction from her.

pippicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I agree with what has been said already. Maybe because the kitten still has the cone on, the mother is a bit confused and unsure of what to think. They will smell different and maybe the mothers maternal instinct has subsided due to the op and the hormone changes.

He is probably wanting reassurance but the mum isn't too keen or tolerant of it at the moment. Give them both some one-on-one attention and giving them some time apart once or twice a day for a bit may help. They both probably need time to settle and get used to eachothers new scents etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The aggression is slowly starting to calm down now but she was still very aggressive towards him even after we took off his cone. It seems to be getting better, very slowly but hopefully surely. Thanks for the help everyone... Its really giving us a peace of mind

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems that usually the first three weeks after a spay they may act unpredictable. The younger ones less than those who had already been through a few heat cycles or pregnancy. I do recall that Angel was her "normal" self at first, but the day after her stitches came out she turned into a demon kitty for a week or so.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I, too apologize for not seeing this thread earlier. I was thinking that the smell of his infection might have upset her as well as the cone. As they heal, the agression will probably simmer down. Pay loads of attention to them both and they should be fine.

Good luck!