Extracted Upper Canine Tooth - Constant Sore on Lip

rachel narang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply! I'm so happy to hear that for both your sakes! I'm hoping the same thing happens for Siamon. I started crying when the small animal dentist emailed me quotes for $1100 and $1300.  I know she helped him before I adopted him and I have great praise for her, but I can't afford that right now.  He must have gone through a lot before I adopted him. He was already microchipped and the animal shelter found out he was adopted out by the local spca. The owner named on the microchipped never called the animal shelter back after he was found, so he was put up for adoption by them after his mouth surgery. He was in such bad shape when they found him, so they think he was hit by a car.  He is 8 years old and I knew he would have trouble getting adopted because of his age and injuries even though he is a traditional Siamese. I was grieving the loss of my Siamese (pictured on my profile) and I felt like I needed to rescue another. I hope Sebastian is doing well otherwise and thank you for giving me hope for my boy. It hurts to see anything wrong with any of my cats especially after losing two of my babies in 2013. 

murraysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't realize when Sebastian had his right upper canine tooth removed (1 of 6 extracted due to FORLs) that it would cause the right lower canine tooth to constantly stab his upper lip. The vet said the removal of the upper canine may cause minor issues with opening and closing, but I wasn't really sure exactly what she meant. Sebastian now has this raw sore that won't go away because of the repeated stabbing. I'm hoping the area eventually "toughens up," kind of like when humans get braces, but it's already been about two months.

I've tried to dab it with a gentle homemade saline, but he just licks it off (of course).

It was difficult to get a good pic. It actually doesn't look that bad here, but there are some occasions when he closes his mouth too quickly and/or too hard and the sore will bleed.

murraysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Murray has the same problem on the same side of his lip. I went in for a teeth cleaning and six hours later they tell me they had to pull three teeth without as much as a courtesy phone call. Now when he eats his lower canine stabs his poor lip I don't know what to do I really don't want to take him to the vet who did this without my knowledge but I'm worried about his lip [emoji]128575[/emoji]

nccarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is my girl Bitsy she had the same tooth problem and half her mouth was removed and the upper canine. My vet automatically made an adjustment to her upper lip in that spot because they found it was a problem with the upper lip getting sore. Top picture was right after the surgery you can see that small black stitch and a little in the bottom pic. We could have waited but he said so many have to come back after the surgery because of that problem. I am glad he advised me to do this. It might be worth an opinion from another vet cause I'm sure it is irritating for them. My girl has not been able to eat dry food until the past year. It has been several years since the surgery and I notice a few other teeth have fallen out or been reabsorbed and she got a tooth or two where some where pulled its wierd. Her mouth looks good now and no more rotting smell. She even begs for meat snacks and solid food which she was not able to. Her lip has never had a sore being he did that lip lift thing.