Express Anal Glands

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby Percy had a little blood on her butt so I took her to pet emergency (her regular vet was booked). They said her anal glands were thick and full. They said they could express them or we could wait and see if she did it on her own. The next day she had loose poop with blood. We took her back and they expressed her anal glands but the left one had a tiny rupture. They put meds on her rupture. She also had a loose stool with blood. They gave us metronidazole for five days to deal with that. She was not excessively licking her bum or scooting on the floor like there was something bothering her. Is there a way to tell if the anal glands are having issues in the future other than these conditions? Her poop now seems fine but I'm concerned about the anal glands. Also, her in this crazy day and age her regular vet is usually booked up weeks in advance so we take her there when we can but in this instance have been taking her to pet emergency clinic. Fortunately, they are very good and a wonderful job.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. While you wait to hear from some of the members who have had to deal with this, maybe you might find this article informative (see link below).

Most vet techs can check and express anal glands, and many will do it without an appt. (as a 'walk n'). So, you might check to see if this is the case with your vet's office for future reference.
Cat Anal Gland Problems: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - All About Cats

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet will allow vet techs to express anal glands and it is very easy to get that appointment, even if the vet is not readily available. I agree that you should check and see if you vet does this. You also might keep a standing appointment for whatever interval you think would work for an anal gland expression. I did this with a dog who had an impacted anal gland and repeated issues and it prevented anything from recurring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. While you wait to hear from some of the members who have had to deal with this, maybe you might find this article informative (see link below).

Most vet techs can check and express anal glands, and many will do it without an appt. (as a 'walk n'). So, you might check to see if this is the case with your vet's office for future reference.
Cat Anal Gland Problems: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - All About Cats
Thank you soooo much for the article! I learned more from that article than I could get the vet to tell me! Hoping this was a one time thing and thanks to that article I understand what really is going on and what to look for. It's been about a week since her glands were done and so far so good. She also had suspected gastroenteritis and took meds for that. Just finished those and again, so far so good. Your site is such a wonderful source for us kitty lovers!