Expiration date on dry-food?

chint

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any? Can't seem to find any on mine... and how is taste/smell/quality etc affected once you've opened the bag? How long before it is affected?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somewhere on the bag there should be a date.  Dry cat food "usually" has an expiration date stamped about 8 months to 1 year out.  It will get stale after opened.    You can pour it into an airtight container to keep it fresher longer.

purrfectmisha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There has to be one on the bottom of the pack or where you open it, that's where i've seen it on the ones I buy. Dry foods have usually one year after the manufacturing exp. date, so probably no need to worry about it.

If you buy a big package, i would suggest you to transfer amount (depending on how many cats you have but like half kg for cat ) into a smaller box and close the rest  with a zip. If you constantly open the pack for every meal eventually the smell would change and it might dry a bit. Hope that helps.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once it's opened, air, humidity, and if applicable to your situation, keeping a cat food bag in sun or in higher temps, can increase the growth of bacteria.

Personally, once it's opened, I'd toss any remainder after a few months.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've even seen stores trying to sell expired bags and I complain to management. The oils in anything can go rancid. 
We take about a month to eat a bag and it's in storage container in the dark pantry.

Last edited:

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Store the food in a cool, dry, dark place to prolong freshness.

If you must feed dry food, I suggest keeping a smaller container that you dispense the food from each day, so you don't expose the entire bag to oxygen, light, and moisture each time you feed the kitties.  You can even keep the bag (sealed with air squeezed out) in the fridge until it is time to refill the smaller container.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chint

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies :) I found the exp. date on the top as you said. Hmm, I'll take what you said into consideration :) She has one 10kgs, or 22 pounds in english I guess, that is about half-full after 2 months. I close it so the air doesn't come in, but just by hand, so it's not completely shut of course. It is in a dry and dark place, in a walk-in closet. I have two 7.5 kgs from Applaws which I'll be feeding her one the 10kgs is empty... but I thought I'll try and see if she liked it, which I of course have no guarantee for. Just so I have a little time getting another brand/taste if she doesn't and of course to sell the ones I've bought. Hmm... a container... I'll try to think of something. Thansk again :)