Experiences with Amitriptyline in Cats

litterboxkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is on amitryptoline as well for yowling. Can't get any sleep. My vet prescribed 1/4 of a 10 mg capsule once a day. I give it to her at night so she sleeps for a period of time and so do we. It has a number of side effects. One is that is overdosage - it can be toxic, your cat can go into a coma. It has a whole host of other serious side effects that you should know about. Your vet was definitely wrong when he/she told you there were no side effects in cats. Google amitriptyline in cats and you'll see them listed. I would consider going to another vet, because your vet could be killing your cat!

jeas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most of the sites I viewed for this drug, as I am considering it, show many of the side effects your cat is experiencing.  Seems to me your vet should have known this?  I would also wonder why a drug used for anxiety would cause a cat to be anxiously yowling all night, but I guess we see odd side effects on all human medications also.  Good luck with your kitty.

Felicity69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did your vet mention why he chose amitriptyline over fluoxetine (Prozac)? I'm not questioning your vet, just curious. I did use amitriptyline for Willow when she was diagnosed with cystitis. I'm not whether it helped or whether it was just giving the situation time that did the trick for her. She wasn't on it for behaviorial reasons, so I don't have much experience with that. When I did take her off of it, I was very careful to taper it slowly by cutting the tablet into smaller and smaller chunks.

How old is Barkley? Have other medical issues, like seizures and hyperesthesia, been ruled out?
Hi everyone , my cat Betsy has been prescribed Amitriptyline for cystitis . First dose yesterday wasn’t very successful . Any good that will mask the taste ?
Thanks in advance 🥰