Experience With Uti (or Similar Symptoms)?

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Soleil peed on our bed today and I initially put it off as a behavioral issue as the cleaner was here at the time. But then I saw her straining to pee for about 3-5 minutes at a time in the garden and in the litterboxes. She was also in lots of discomfort when pooping (very vocal and straining), and when I tried to carry her she was nearly screaming when she normally doesn't make a sound.

So I brought her to the vet and noticed bloody (slimy) discharge coming from her bottom (not sure whether from her bum or her vag area). The vet examined her and told me he cannot find anything in the bladder, but I forgot to ask him what he meant by that. It was the last appointment, they had overrun and I felt like they were keen to see me go.
They gave her an anti-biotic shot and a oral treatment for pain relieve and anti-inflammatory (package says post surgery?).

So just wanted to hear your experiences. I am particularly worried about the bleeding and the pain she obviously is feeling when I carry her? Is that normal for a UTI?
Is there anything I need to consider on top of the medication I got (bearing in mind I have 2 cats). And how long does it normally take to get better? When we got home she was straining again with little bit of pee coming out.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Demi had a UTI, he had to take an antibiotic for 10 days. I also increased his canned food and decreased the dry food.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frankly i would be very upset with the vet. and my recommendation is find a different vet and get her checked again. i would be afraid if she has a blockage.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep her as hydrated as possible, too. That will dilute the pee, and it won't burn quite as much coming out. Generally, you will see an improvement with antibiotics in about 72 hours, depending on the individual's metabolic system.

I don't blame you for being worried one little bit. Is she managing to poop? I'm a bit concerned about a blockage...if she is NOT pooping, I might think about seeing a different vet soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She did a poop but under a lot of pain. I'm just worried about the blood. The vet said it is normal for UTI, but the blood oozed out without her trying to pee at the time... there were about 3 finger nail sized drops in her carrier...

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When Soleil urinated on your bed, was the urine blood tinged or yellow? Do you think the blood is coming from her urethra or anus? Is she spayed?

When the vet said he couldn’t find anything in the bladder, I would take that to mean no urine to get a sample of.

I agree with duckpond duckpond ; I’d be pissed with the vet. Overbooked or not, when you see a patient, you take a deep breath and give them as much time as they need. That’s part of being a vet. Animals don’t get sick on a schedule.

Hope Soleil feels better soon. Please keep us updated. :)

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She was spayed long time ago. She is now about 11 yo. There was no blood on the bed and not sure if the color was yellow as the duvet cover was cream and grey.... she peed on our bed for the first time about 6 weeks ago when we were away on holiday. back then I thought it was behavioral as the cat sitter didn't do a great job with the litter box. Today was the first time since....
She did have a bit of an issue with her poop yesterday and was poop scooting which I put down to me trying a spoonful of a new wet food on her (her tummy is very sensitive). So not sure if that was already the beginning of what she has now or if that caused a UTI. She really has been straining to pee and only pees very little. But it has become better this evening.
Not sure where her blood was from - that is what worries me. It didn't seem to be when she was peeing... it just appeared in the pet carrier after I put her in (and she tried to pee and did a poop just moments before I put her in the carrier.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The blood and mucus sound more like the came from the anus. Cats can get a touch of stress colitis. The problem is at this point we don’t know for sure whether the problem is urinary or digestive. Peeing on the bed, straining to pee and the empty bladder say urinary but the bright red blood and mucus suggest digestive. Either could cause pain. She might have both. The UTI might be stressing her. The antibiotics won’t treat the colitis, so watch for blood in the litter box.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The antibiotics won’t treat the colitis, so watch for blood in the litter box.
That's good advice. Will do! thank you

She seems better this morning - still a bit low on energy but he is rolling around showing her tummy so hopefully that means she is getting better