Experience with Transdermal Cisapride? Megacolon Senior Cat Needs Help!!!

heather_saez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All!

I am new to this website and extremely desperate for help. My 16 y/o baby Sylvie was recently diagnosed with Stage 1 kidney failure and megacolon. We initially brought him into the vet because he was losing weight and scooting but he was pooping regularly. They said that he was severely dehydrated and backed up and we brought him into an animal hospital to be sedated and receive IV fluid and an enema.

Once we brought him home - he did not poop again for 3-4 days. We brought him to our regular vet for another enema and they prescribed us Laculose and Cisapride. The Laculose he takes just fine but REFUSED to take the oral liquid Cisapride in any way shape or form. The doctor said this is what would help regulate his colon and get him pooping. Another 6 days passed and no poop after SECOND enema. We took him for a third and I ordered transdermal cisapride which we have been rubbing into the hairless part of his inner ear. I thought we were in the clear as he pooped 2 days after his third enema but since then another 4 days has passed and again no poop. I was wondering if anyone has a success story using transdermal cisapride or if it's really not doing anything at all. I needed to try another option but I feel as if I am running out of them. I can't bring my cat for enema every week when he has to go to the bathroom. Does anyone have a similar experience or help to offer? My husband and I are at our WITS END!!! Other than the not pooping the cat is in great spunky spirits, eating his wet food regularly (great appetite), drinking lots of water, urinating and we give him subcutaenous fluids 3 times a week. HE JUST NEEDS TO POOP!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Not one to have used Cisapride, but was wondering if you could ask the vet about a compounding pharmacy that might be able to make something your cat will take by mouth - some sort of flavored liquid, or a crushable pill, for example? There is a compounding pharmacy mentioned on this site often, called Wedgewood (Veterinary Pharmacy (wedgewoodpharmacy.com). Perhaps, reach out to them to see how they have handled this med in the past, and see if you like what they suggest. If so, find out what you need to do to use them for your pharmacy.

Also, what all did you try to use to get Sylvie to take the oral Cisapride? When Feeby has had to have meds that caused her to foam at the mouth and gag/spit/hack, I ended up doing all of the following (successfully):
1.) human canned tuna or chicken in water, and used the 'juice' to mix with the meds, then gave her a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat afterward.
2.) baby food meats (with no additives - Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut)
3.) lickable treats for cats, such as Applaws, Tiki Cat Stix or Mousse, Vitakraft, Wholehearted, and Inaba Churu. There are others on the market as well.

If the Cisapride can be made into crushable pill form, that would work well with any of the above too.

While you wait to hear directly from some members who have dealt with Cisapride, maybe you would be interested in looking through these previous threads from this site?
Search Results for Query: cisapride | TheCatSite

Lastly, has there been any discussion about IV fluids at home, in case that would help with the dehydration (and subsequently with the constipation)? A lot of members say it is much easier to do at home than it sounds.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a compounding pharmacy mentioned on this site often, called Wedgewood (Veterinary Pharmacy (wedgewoodpharmacy.com). Perhaps, reach out to them to see how they have handled this med in the past, and see if you like what they suggest. If so, find out what you need to do to use them for your pharmacy.

Wedgewood Pharmacy has these options for cisparide: Cisapride Medication & Information for Animals A local compounding pharmacy likely has similar options.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heather_saez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I have been giving him the compounded transdermal option of cisapride that I rub onto the hairless part of his inner ear but it doesn't seem to be giving him any bowel movements so I am not sure if transdermal is working. Does anyone have experience with using transdermal medication of any kind and getting positive results?

My next attempt is to try tuna flavored oral compound or capsules I can sprinkle into his food. Still deciding which would be the best option for him.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some medicines may be available in transdermal form but are not very effective given that way. Skin is slow to absorb medicine while ingestion and injection are faster.

I've never had medicine compounded into transdermal form but others have.