Experience with rectal prolapse?

5DH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 13 year old kitty has been struggling with constipation issues for a few years now. We are back on Miralax after an uncomfortable night where he used the litter box and when he came out, he had some mild rectal prolapse... I'm self-diagnosing here, but I could definitely see a big pink bulge as if the inside was coming out. The stool he had just gotten rid of was quite large so I suspect he was just straining/pushing a lot. The good news is that he is fine as of now. 10 minutes after he came out of the litter box and was acting funny I checked, saw the situation, and opened the camera on my phone to take a picture for the vet, but in that time it went back inside/back to normal as if he sucked it back in somehow.

We are going to the vet on Tuesday but in the meantime I'm just a little anxious about it all for the next 4 days. Since we are back on his Miralax I suspect that will relieve his need to strain and it will resolve the triggering issue, but looking for people with experience here while I wait for the vet appointment. Is the fact that it already popped out once mean it's essentially a permanent/degenerative risk? Is it one of those things where the more it happens the more likely it is to happen again?

I feel really bad! I stopped his Miralax in late Fall because he was passing stool normally again. What I now think happens is that he's fine in Winter, but when Spring hits, he's shedding/eating a lot of fur and that constipates him.

Pekkle98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 13 year old kitty has been struggling with constipation issues for a few years now. We are back on Miralax after an uncomfortable night where he used the litter box and when he came out, he had some mild rectal prolapse... I'm self-diagnosing here, but I could definitely see a big pink bulge as if the inside was coming out. The stool he had just gotten rid of was quite large so I suspect he was just straining/pushing a lot. The good news is that he is fine as of now. 10 minutes after he came out of the litter box and was acting funny I checked, saw the situation, and opened the camera on my phone to take a picture for the vet, but in that time it went back inside/back to normal as if he sucked it back in somehow.

We are going to the vet on Tuesday but in the meantime I'm just a little anxious about it all for the next 4 days. Since we are back on his Miralax I suspect that will relieve his need to strain and it will resolve the triggering issue, but looking for people with experience here while I wait for the vet appointment. Is the fact that it already popped out once mean it's essentially a permanent/degenerative risk? Is it one of those things where the more it happens the more likely it is to happen again?

I feel really bad! I stopped his Miralax in late Fall because he was passing stool normally again. What I now think happens is that he's fine in Winter, but when Spring hits, he's shedding/eating a lot of fur and that constipates him.
Hi 5DH,
I wondered what happened with your kitty as I've just experienced the exact thing with my ginger boy yesterday. It happened so fast I don't even think I could get a good enough look before it had popped in. He's acting totally normal otherwise & not showing any signs of pain or diarrhea with a good appetite. I read somewhere there's a difference between "mucosal" prolapse vs. incomplete/complete rectal prolapse in that the "mucosal" is only the very tip near the anal opening, but not the actual rectum coming out. Oddly, have found only one reference to this difference, so curious what your outcome was if you wouldn't mind sharing an update. Thank you!

Carolynjacksmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I had 17 years and 4 months experience of a prolapse start and then Mega Colon in my cat Cider (whose since passed 3 yrs ago). When I got her as a kitten she had rectal prolapse and the vet was able to stitch it in. It popped out again it was stitched up again and with some cream it healed. 9 years later she had trouble expelling her feces. She was a Manx cat which means she had no tail. Note: the back bone stucture is different because of that can develop what they call Mega Colin in later years. Unfortunately she developed Mega Colin- which means they get constipated and cannot push out their feces. Can be quite painful. There is no cure for it, but in some instances can be fixed with surgery expensive and not always successful and they may not make it thru. You need an excellent vet to diagnose this and work with this. Cisapride liquid form, in the wet food is the main medication, along with Myralax ( she was on that for the rest of her life). Cider had Megacolin for over 8 years- this progresses is the year goes by and the cats get older. It is time consuming messy and expensive. Occasionally she had to have fluids and enemas. In the end I was giving her enemas at home. Then she developed Lung issues from trying to push out her feces for so many years. I had to say goodbye. Your issue may only be a prolapse- but if it keeps reoccurring you must have your vet give the diagnosis. I hope this helps some and it works out well for you and your cat.