Experience with Flower Essences?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get it from your vet if they use holistics, or look for Bach's Rescue Remedy online.

I honestly don't know *how* it works, just that it seems to have made a positive difference.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

You can get it from your vet if they use holistics, or look for Bach's Rescue Remedy online.

I honestly don't know *how* it works, just that it seems to have made a positive difference.
that sums up most of hoistic medicine

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was curious about the flower essences. I too have a cat that has some "issues". I use the spray for myself and it works great for me!

So, i looked online for bachs website and found this
http://www.bachfloweressences.co.uk/.../USA/index.php

I did a "remedy chooser" for myself (where you take a quiz) and boy does it sound like a great group of essences....if they work i will be so happy. But I digress.

They also have books specifically for animals and a book for cats! On how to use these for a benefit. Sounds like you found the right combo for Ferris!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gingersmom! I just realized you were from Salem, MA...I live in Lynn! Cool! Who do you see? I know there is a holistic vet practice in Beverly...and also a Feline Hospital in Salem? Do you have any recommendations? I just got my Fiona Dec. 1st ( @ north east animal shelter) and am taking her to her first vet physical as "my" cat
so any advice you can give me would be great. I was taking her to North Shore Animal hospital in Lynn. I did a visit (spying on them really
) and they seemed nice....but options are a plus just in case I have a probelm with them. Ya never know!

Small world eh?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Hello from Southern Massachusetts!

I saw the Bach's Rescue Remedy for sale at Shaw's Supermarket in the "Wild Harvest" section.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

Gingersmom! I just realized you were from Salem, MA...I live in Lynn! Cool! Who do you see? I know there is a holistic vet practice in Beverly...and also a Feline Hospital in Salem? Do you have any recommendations? I just got my Fiona Dec. 1st ( @ north east animal shelter) and am taking her to her first vet physical as "my" cat
so any advice you can give me would be great. I was taking her to North Shore Animal hospital in Lynn. I did a visit (spying on them really
) and they seemed nice....but options are a plus just in case I have a probelm with them. Ya never know!

Small world eh?
HEY! Neighbor!!!
That's so awesome! My Ginger came from Northeast, too, and I've been through THREE vets until I found the one I like the best. I am using Hawthorne Animal Hospital on Canal Street in Salem, and that's close enough to you, you may want to check them out. Tell them that Ferris' mom sent you, LOL!

They were highly recommended to me by a friend that has 9 cats, so she knows what she is talking about when it comes to vets.

Have you posted any pics of Fiona on TCS yet? How long have you been a member? My name is Betsy, by the way, and my mom lives in Lynn, too.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Hello from Southern Massachusetts!

I saw the Bach's Rescue Remedy for sale at Shaw's Supermarket in the "Wild Harvest" section.
Really?? That's too funny - I shop at Shaw's, I'll have to check that out!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'know, I used to be skeptical of "natural remedies" like these flower essences, too -- but when you think of it, most of our traditional pharmaceuticals are derived from natural substances in the first place.

The difference between drug company products and natural, untampered-with plant materials is that nobody holds a patent on the latter. And since that limits the amount of money anyone can make on the sale of the natural products, no one bothers to do expensive double-blind studies to prove and quantify their effectiveness, let alone establish the many details about their dosages, side effects, and interactions that could be helpful to consumers and doctors alike.

This is one of the things wrong with our rabidly capitalistic pharmaceutical industry.

Okay, down off my soapbox now. The main point is that many of these things do help, whether they have the blessing of the traditional medical community or not. Just the other day, I tried some beech oil rubbed onto the eartips of two girlkitties who can't stand each other, and there was peace in the valley for several hours! Woohoo!

:-)

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello my massachusetts friends!
I went to North Shore animal hosp. in lynn today. The dr. i saw didn't even say hi or smile or even introduce himself, just asked me to put the cat on the table
I asked him "and you are?"
He said his name and I told him mine...he commenced with the physical. Asked absolutely no questions about her. I don't think I want to go back there. It doesn't feel right to me, ya know?

I am very involved with my own health care and plan on doing the same for my kitty. I want someone who will include me. Hawthorne is a hop, skip and jump away! I live on Lynn Shore Drive.
I drive past it frequently to go to my own dr.

So thanks for the referral! I will definately check them out

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Really?? That's too funny - I shop at Shaw's, I'll have to check that out!
Wild oats in swampscott has all that homeopathic stuff too
But the Shaw's wild harvest section is really good too...and it's one stop shopping when you do a grocery run! I just like wild oats because it has all the nice smelly essential oils and "feel good" stuff
I love pampering myself!
and my Fiona!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I used the Bach's on Abby for her recent vet visit. I don't know if it was that, or the feliway, but she has not been pulling out her fur like she normally does after seeing the vet.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

Hello my massachusetts friends!
I went to North Shore animal hosp. in lynn today. The dr. i saw didn't even say hi or smile or even introduce himself, just asked me to put the cat on the table
I asked him "and you are?"
He said his name and I told him mine...he commenced with the physical. Asked absolutely no questions about her. I don't think I want to go back there. It doesn't feel right to me, ya know?

I am very involved with my own health care and plan on doing the same for my kitty. I want someone who will include me. Hawthorne is a hop, skip and jump away! I live on Lynn Shore Drive.
I drive past it frequently to go to my own dr.

So thanks for the referral! I will definately check them out
A heads up about Hawthorne, though, if you take Dr attitude as important. The Dr there is hard of hearing and very gruff in attitude, but he is a REALLY good vet. I know this, again, after going through three other places where cleanliness and a willingness to listen to the cat owner were glaringly absent. Hawthorne is where we will keep going back to.

I don't need to be friends with my vet, what I see as priorities are: reaction of staff when you need them FAST (Hawthorne was AMAZING when Ginger had a bad reaction to her rabies shot,) the overall cleanliness of the office and whether or not they let you stay with your kitty for blood drawing, etc.

On top of that, I prefer the open-mindedness of a holistic practice - traditional care is given first and holistics are offered as options that you do not have to take, it is up to you.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't need the vet to be my best friend.
Just my kitty's! The staff seems really nice. We shall see (hopefully not) how they are in emergencies. They are less than a mile from work and home so thats a defiante + if i have an emergency! I was just put off by the fact that he asked zero ?'s about her
maybe that means she is basically healthy looking?

I am going to stick with them for a few more visits....they have lots of dr's so i can circulate and see who i feel best with. When i spoke to the vet tech i had boldly asked her who she thinks is best to deal with cats
she marked of a few dr's and the one i got was not one of them. I should have asked for one of them perhaps.....

It's just nice to know of options...just in case. I am glad after a few bad experiances you found your niche! I hate going somewhere that is unclean....icky.
There is no need for that!