Experience with Feline's Pride

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks, but i'm actually trying to determine how many calories are in each ounce to ensure i feed my cats appropriately.  one of mine needs to gain, one maintain, and one lose.  

11201ny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great company, very high quality formulas.
Despite the high *packaging & shipping* charges, they really are the best. Not to mention, they are absolute pros when it comes to communicating with their customers (me). In contrast, I tried to deal with Fegnion for an order, and they were a shady disaster. I don't doubt that they produce a good product, but they were such a customer service disaster that I would strongly recommend against using them. After all, not only are we talking about raw meat products, we also have to keep in mind that as a farmer changes an animal's diet, the taste of the meat changes (which cat's don't like). My point - customer service is everything.

11201ny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you order let's say 10lbs of one variety and then 10 lbs. of another variety you are charged twice for packing insulation.( approximately $11.00 is added extra per variety, so the price per pound is not what they show.) Then they ask for additinal packing material ( ice packs, foil) with additional charges. Feeding 3 cats is becomming too expensive. However, we continued because of all the other varities, this was the most "wholesome". AND they refused other brands and loved Feline's Pride. But noiw we will try Hare Today as they also only use the entire animal  ( bones, gizzards)and nothing else added.
Let us know how it goes

auridicyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been feeding Feline's Pride exclusively to my three indoor cats for at least three years now. I've never had a problem with them getting sick from it. HOWEVER. If you are looking for a company with good (or even decent) customer service, I can't really recommend them. They've been extremely hit or miss with answering any messages (phone or email) I send them, have failed to come through on promised discount codes, etc. 

Come to think of it, it seems like any communications I've sent them having anything to do with the money side of things, they've conveniently ignored. For example, I've queried them repeatedly about why their shipping for two 10lb selections is almost $10 more than their shipping for a single 20lb selection, despite the fact that they come to my door packed and shipped exactly the same way. Messages about quality issues (or even shipping quality) HAVE been answered. However, as mentioned, one time when they proffered a discount code (because they had a quality issue that resulted in me having to pick large bone pieces out of several tubs), they never actually came through with it.

For this reason, I'm currently researching other options. Hare Today sounds like a good one, though it will mean a good bit more hassle for me (in terms of actually turning the ground meat into cat food, portioning it out, etc. I'm also not seeing the amazing savings from Hare Today that I've seen others gush about, but I haven't looked into their shipping yet. I really am excited about the variety of meats they offer though! I'm sure my kitties' tastebuds will thank me. :)

11201ny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We switched to Hare Today. The simple truth is that the my cats like it more, & it's roughly half the $ for shipping (& packaging).

It's a shame Felines Pride can't get their shipping prices to make more sense. Seems like this is everyone who uses them, or wants to use them all question the shipping policy. Packing charges of $12 per 5 LBS; $13.50 per 10 LBS; & $16 per 20 LBS are inarguably unclear when purchasing multiple quantities of different items. So if you order 20LBS of 4x 5LB assorted meats you pay $48 as opposed to the $16? Could this really be true?

Last edited:

gbin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just joined The Cat Site today because I found this thread while searching for a place to post a review of Feline's Pride.  This seems like a neat place!  I wish the circumstances that brought me to it were better.  I've two objectives in posting this reply:

1)  I want to warn people to avoid Feline's Pride if you are not currently dealing with them, and to start looking for a good alternative immediately if you are.  Based on my experience, it's not a question of whether they will leave you in the lurch, but when.

I used to be one who sang their praises, as their Rabbit Formula raw meat cat diet is still to this date the only food my wife and I have ever found that one of my two cats (the one pictured as a kitten in my avatar, if I downloaded the picture correctly) does well on.  We've taken him to numerous vets, had numerous tests done on him and tried innumerable foods with him, but all but that one causes him to begin vomiting, having diarrhea and then to stop eating entirely after a few days of being on the diet.  Dry food, canned food, cheap food, expensive food, etc., it doesn't matter; he didn't even do well on Feline's Pride's other raw meat cat foods.  And no, it doesn't matter how gradually we try to transition him, either.  We were amazed by the transformation in him once we found that Rabbit Formula; he was truly a different, much healthier and happier cat!  The food and its shipping are expensive, but I always figured that if he has to have it then he has to have it.  When we got our second cat we put him on the same food, so pleased were we with what it has done for the first one.  Accordingly, we've been a very good customer for Feline's Pride over the years of his life, spending literally several thousand dollars, maybe even as much as ten thousand dollars, with them in that time.

We never had any problems until last fall, when no shipment arrived when expected and no warning had been given to us that it wouldn't get to us on time.  They'd always been so reliable in the past that I hadn't left us all that much time before we ran completely out of cat food, so I was understandably anxious.  I tried calling them but no one answered their phone nor responded to the message I left on their system.  So then I contacted them by e-mail to ask why the shipment hadn't arrived and when we could expect it.  When someone, who represented herself as the company's president, got back to me, she sarcastically told me that the shipment was delayed by a severe snowstorm and that it'd be sent out when it was legal and safe for people to travel, and not before (as if I'd asked for such a thing, when I certainly didn't), so I could expect to get it when I got it, and not before.  When I replied something like "OK, I get that the weather has set you back.  But you should have at least let people know what's going on with respect to their outstanding orders.  You could have just posted a note about the situation on your website, or if your computer access was down you could have called people.  Some word would certainly have been appreciated.  It's not as if you didn't know the storm was headed your way, either."  She then told me that if I was unhappy being a Feline's Pride customer then I should take my business somewhere else.  In fact, she threatened to just refund my money and leave me hanging despite my cat's special dietary need.

So I tried calling again.  This time while navigating their phone system I tried the executive offices option instead of sales/customer service, hoping to actually be able to speak with her and resolve things.  No answer again, of course, but this time I did get a call back, from a fellow who didn't tell me what his position was but who sounded knowledgeable, competent and maybe important.  (And I mentally noted later that Feline's Pride used to be identified on their website as "A Gomas Enterprises Subsidiary" or some such.)  He asked who I'd been in contact with and I told him "-------, who said she was the company's president.  I was actually hoping to reach her when I called."  He told me that there are actually two employees there with that name who both might claim such a title, but I couldn't help him resolve it any more than that.  Anyway, he was extremely apologetic, partly for the delay in getting me the cat food I needed but especially for the way the person had responded to my enquiry and complaint.  "She's under a lot of strain right now," he said, and he offered to send my order free as soon as possible.  He also mentioned that they actually still had two facilities in different parts of the country from which they were shipping, though they were in the process of closing one down, so he didn't understand why they didn't just ship to me from the one unaffected by the storm in the first place.  I told him that a free order (amounting to almost $400) wasn't necessary, but the food was; and an apology - or at least her retraction of her threat to drop me as a customer - would be nice, too.

Somewhat later I got the food, anyway.

The next time I ordered cat food from Feline's Pride I made sure I had what seemed to me to be plenty of time to receive it, just in case.  Good thing I did, as yet again the shipment didn't arrive when expected and no warning was given that it would be late.  I tried calling again to find out what was going on but of course no one answered their phone.  I tried e-mailing but got no response.  So I tried e-mailing someone else, who had given me his e-mail address when I spoke with him, along with the suggestion that I contact him again in the future if I ever felt the need to do so.  That sure got a response in a hurry, and by phone!  But she called, not the second person.  She angrily asked me why I had e-mailed her "accountant" - yes, that's what she told me he was (though I personally doubt she was telling the truth).  I told her I had no idea what his position was, but he'd been helpful before and no one else was getting back to me about the fact that another shipment - the second in a row - hadn't shown up.  She said this was because they shut down over the winter holidays and had to play catch-up thereafter, and so hadn't yet gotten to my order.  (I'd ordered it on January 8th.)  Remembering how volatile she was in our previous communication I didn't bother to point out to her that it would be a good idea for them to mention such a thing on the website rather than just leave people wondering why their expensive and perishable cat food hadn't shown up when they expected it to.  All I did was ask when she thought they'd be able to ship my order.  She offered to do so yet that week, by faster means than ordinary and at their expense, but I said that wasn't necessary; if they shipped it to me by normal means at the beginning of the following week that would be fine.

So she sent me a tracking number the following Monday night.  It was quite different than I was used to, as it didn't indicate how many boxes had been sent (my order is always big enough to require two boxes) and it didn't give any detail on the shipment's progress, either.  Then I realized she'd sent it by USPS rather than FedEx as had always been done in the past, but had sent it to my physical address rather than my P.O. box - and I live in a remote area where USPS won't deliver to my house.  So I contacted her again to warn her about this.  I also talked to my small post office and explained the situation, and they said "Sure, we know who you are and will accept it and hold it for you to pick up even though it doesn't have your proper address on it."  I still had my doubts but I also still had a bit more time before I'd run out of cat food, so I told her I was OK with leaving it at that.

But then it didn't show up at my post office on the expected day, either.  And when it showed up on the following day, only one box - half the order - was there, and it was completely thawed!  I don't honestly know whether the extra day in transit was entirely responsible for it being thawed, as that box was also packed far less well, with far less insulating material, than any ever had been before.

So I told her the bad news.  She insisted that two boxes had been sent and claimed she had two tracking numbers to go with them, but to date she's only ever sent me one tracking number.  In any event I told her that the cat food I'd received hadn't been acceptable as it hadn't been useable.  She said she'd send me more the following week (this week).  I emphasized that she needed to use FedEx, and said I'd pay whatever the extra cost might be (as she'd told me she switched to USPS because they were cheaper than FedEx, but hadn't used my P.O. box because she couldn't actually ship to a P.O. box).  I asked her how much that extra cost would be, though, and how I was to get it to her (as we were again back to exchanging e-mail, and she'd never provided me a number where I could actually reach her by phone).  She again simply stopped bothering to communicate with me.

Now that it became Monday and I was downright anxious because my special need cat is going to run out of food this Wednesday, I again tried contacting the 'accountant'.  Sure enough, that got a prompt call back from the first employee.  I think she really just got back to me to chew me out for "bothering other people" (at least she didn't tell me he was just her accountant this time); she was the company's one and only glorious leader, she emphasized, and if I wasn't happy with how long she took to get back to me then that was just tough.  If such treatment bothered me too much then I should just find someone else to buy cat food from.  Keeping my temper this long, at least, I asked whether my cat food, which I'd now ordered and paid for almost three weeks earlier and which I now also needed rather desperately, was going to ship today.  "No," she told me, "I'm not about to ship you any more cat food unless its absolutely guaranteed to reach you on time and in good shape, because you'll just reject it at my expense if it's not, and there's another winter storm coming.  I'll ship it when I get that guarantee from my carrier, not before."  I reminded her of my cat with a special need and she cut me off by spitting at me "All my customers have such cats!"  I pointed out that if she packed the shipment better - as had always been the case before that last box - and sent it by FedEx then it might well reach me in good shape even if it took an extra day to do so, and I asked "Shouldn't you be willing to accept a little more risk on that for a longstanding customer who is only in need because the order he'd placed and paid for three weeks earlier still hasn't been filled?"  She said she'd already sent me a shipment and I'd rejected it.  I again pointed out that she'd chosen to switch carriers (and use the wrong address at that), not me, that only half of my order had ever reached me - and I had only one tracking number for it, too - and that I certainly hadn't wanted to ask for replacement but was compelled to by the condition in which it arrived.  "Is it my responsibility," I asked her, "to get my order to me in a reasonable amount of time and in good shape, or is it yours?  Don't you bear any responsibility to a customer whose money you long since accepted?"  She just repeated that she'd already sent it.  "You'll get the replacement shipment when you get it!" she said.  When I tried to discuss the matter with her further she just angrily exclaimed "I'm done with you!" and hung up the phone on me.

(At some point during our conversation she also told me that she'd filed a claim with USPS on the spoiled box and supposedly missing box, by the way, so it's not as if she was already out any money.)

So I just called my credit card company to contest the charge Feline's Pride submitted right away when I placed the unfilled order three weeks ago, as given what all this person has said and done to this point (some of which were clearly lies) I have to believe I'm never going to get my order and maybe not the refund I'm due, either.

Anyway, that's my long-winded way of warning people that Feline's Pride is apparently now being run (or entrusted, at least) to someone who is extremely unprofessional, uncaring and untrustworthy.  Even if you've relied on them in the past, I can assure you all too well from my personal experience that something there has changed dramatically and the end result is that you can't trust them anymore.  Too bad!

2)  I want to ask folks here who they would recommend I try for rabbit-based raw meat cat food.  I'm in real need now because of what Feline's Pride had done to me, and I'm really hoping y'all can help me out!

Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:

11201ny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

...So I just called my credit card company to contest the charge Feline's Pride submitted right away when I placed the unfilled order three weeks ago, as given what all this person has said and done to this point (some of which were clearly lies) I have to believe I'm never going to get my order and maybe not the refund I'm due, either.

Anyway, that's my long-winded way of warning people that Feline's Pride is apparently now being run (or entrusted, at least) to someone who is extremely unprofessional, uncaring and untrustworthy.  Even if you've relied on them in the past, I can assure you all too well from my personal experience that something there has changed dramatically and the end result is that you can't trust them anymore.  Too bad!

2)  I want to ask folks here who they would recommend I try for rabbit-based raw meat cat food.  I'm in real need now because of what Feline's Pride had done to me, and I'm really hoping y'all can help me out!

Gerry
Crazy company.

A few weeks ago I emailed & called then several times to ask them about the $$$ i spent on redundant "packaging" charges.

I still have yet to hear back.

Over the 3 years I used them, they were helpful on two of two occasions I reached out to them.

Something must be going on over there these days, as a healthy business would never act this way. 

-----

Try Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I appreciate your warning everyone about this. I suggest trying hare-Today Gone Tomorrow. www.hare-today.com. Their foods are excellent and the service is great. You do need to add supplement but they sell Alnutrin both for boneless meats and bone in meats. Far less expense than Felines Pride. I have it shipped to me in CA and even with the shipping costs I save money compared to premium canned. I buy a  lot of rabbit from them too.

I have never had a problem with them , the food arrives frozen in well packed boxes.

Boy, I was thinking of trying FP because there is a seller of it up the road from me but even going through her that stuff is about $9 a lbs and with 3 cats it just is to expensive.

If you live on the west coast ( I do) you could also try wholefoods4pets.com. They sell only rabbit and I have heard great things about the quality. I just use HT because they have such a great selection.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
@gbin... I'm very sorry to hear about your experiences with Feline's Pride.  While I can appreciate your desire to warn people that things may not be all on the up and up, posting the same message in multiple threads could be considered spam. 

As has been mentioned, Hare Today has a wide variety of meats, including rabbit, as well as the appropriate supplements to add.  Rad Cat is also a popular brand, though I don't know if they have rabbit.  Hopefully you will be able to find something that will work for your fur-kids. 

gbin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

@gbin... I'm very sorry to hear about your experiences with Feline's Pride.  While I can appreciate your desire to warn people that things may not be all on the up and up, posting the same message in multiple threads could be considered spam.
I get that, Fm Mom, and I appreciate your constructive criticism.  Please understand that the only reason I posted to multiple threads was because they were all threads in which people had recently asked about or discussed Feline's Pride, and I didn't know how to pick just one of them for my post.  It was not my intention to spam anyone, but only to warn folks who seemed they'd benefit from knowing about my recent experience with the company demonstrating that it has suddenly become seriously unreliable, and that its leadership doesn't care what harm might be caused to the pets of people - even very good, long-term customers - who fall subject to that unreliability.  

And of course it was also my intent to ask for help finding a suitable replacement food for my special dietary need cat, which you and a few others have kindly offered.  Thank you, all!  My wife and I are eagerly pursuing your suggestions (and trying not to panic about the terrible situation Feline's Pride has left us in), and would also welcome any others that folks here have to offer.  I suspect it will be too much to hope for that we will immediately luck into another long term solution, so having a few different possibilities to try would be a very good thing.  I only hope our cat doesn't suffer too much during the process...

Gerry

krazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gerry,

I just got a hateful email this morning - I like you, did not understand why there was no MESSAGE on their ANSWERING MACHINE at the company that they were

relocationg etc - and on Felines Pride on Facebook - I have been trying to contact them since right after Christmas....I heard through the grapevine that two others (whom I dealt with when I lived in Oregon, and were great - real smart about the nutrition and how the food

was made etc) were fired.  The email accused me of asking for special discounts and charge - IT WAS HER IDEA TO SEND ME 8 CONTAINERS INSTEAD OF 4, and she told me the shipping

was about the same-I said I can't come up with 150 right now - she said-thats ok I trust you - and I tried to add interest and she said no I don't need that - and I AWAYS PAID HER...

I hear RAD CAT was really good food also - my cat LOVED the FELINES PRIDE - especially the rabbit and cornish game hens - I never had any trouble getting him to eat it ....I do not understand

why Felines Pride could not just let us know - uggg

krazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furmonster mom - that is wonderful to know there are other raw foods - I had not heard of the other one you mentioned  -and just heard

of Rad Cat yesterday - (on the felines pride facebook page)  thanks

krazy

gbin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"Hateful" is the word for some of the things a Feline's Pride employee wrote to me and said to me over the phone, all right.  What actually bothers me much more than her abusive personality, though, is her dishonesty and Feline's Pride's accompanying unreliability.  In retrospect, it's obvious to me that all they were doing was stringing me along for as long as possible: I'd receive and hear nothing from the company and so would inquire about my order, then when she got back to me in her own good time she'd chew me out for bothering them (on multiple occasions including a threat to simply drop me as a customer), then in a more rational tone she'd offer to finally send my order or give me a refund (whichever I preferred), then I'd receive and hear nothing from the company and so would inquire about it, etc.

Believe it or not, after my last phone conversation with her - the one in which she proclaimed "I'm done with you!" and hung up the phone on me for trying to get her to finally send me my order (at that point about three weeks after I'd submitted and paid for said order) - she sent me yet another e-mail message offering to finally send my order or provide me a refund, my choice.  I guess she was just counting on me being stupid enough to put up with it in perpetuity.  By this point I knew all too well not to trust her or Feline's Pride any further, though, and indeed the day before I'd contacted my credit card company to protest the almost $400 charge for my order, as I mentioned in my first post above.  Figuring that I could promptly cancel my protest if Feline's Pride surprised me and finally actually came through, I simply replied "Yes, I still want what I ordered."  I never heard from her or anyone else there again.

And of course I never received either my order or my refund from Feline's Pride, now 39 days (and counting) after I placed and paid for the order.  I feel sure I won't see my money again until the credit card company resolves the dispute in my favor, which at least seems certain as I was able to provide them ample documentation in my favor.  The day after they do so I intend to file a complaint against Feline's Pride with the BBB using the link someone else kindly provided in another thread here at The Cat Site: https://odrcomplaint.bbb.org/odrweb/public/NewComplaintForm.aspx?BBBID=6&BusinessID=11552714 .  I don't know and no longer care whether the company is having personnel issues, logistical problems or is just running short on product or money; it shouldn't get away with ripping people off as it is now doing.

I'd forgotten the other employee until you mentioned her, Krazy.  I agree, I spoke with her by telephone on a few occasions when I first started buying from Feline's Pride years ago, and she was great.  Very professional, knowledgeable and helpful.  Much like another employee there when I spoke with him.  They're both polar opposites of the one I spoke to this time.  If this employee really is in control of that company now, she's using that control to run it right into the ground.

For those interested, my wife and I managed to find Primal locally (a bit more than an hour's drive away over a snowy mountain, about as local as things get where we live  :^ /  ), so we're going with that while we decide whether (and if so exactly how) to give Hare Today a try.  Huge thanks to the folks here at The Cat Site who contributed ideas for us to pursue, or even just posted to commiserate with me over our terrible experience with Feline's Pride!

Gerry

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
gbin gbin Feline's Pride appears to have changed ownership. There are complaints all over the raw feeding communities about the terrible situation going on at Feline's Pride. :( Many people have had product not arrive, or arrive thawed or spoiled. No response from company, no refund.

I ordered product from them shortly after I started feeding raw with commercial foods. Their shipping was so expensive, I never ordered anything again.

I tried Hare-Today and never looked back. 50 pounds costs me $24 (edited to add: for the shipping!). You choose whether they ship via FedEx or UPS.

The differences: Feline's Pride is a complete food with supplements. Rad Cat and FP look very similar. Hare-Today is simply ground animal. Rabbit is whole ground rabbit. So if you want to supplement, you do it yourself. It's quite easy - many use the Alnutrin for meat & bone, add some water, a few yolks, and salmon oil. Basically the same food as Feline's Pride. Rabbit is roughly 10% bone, though HT says it is about 15%. So if you want to reduce the bone content, you need to add some plain ground rabbit meat - which you can also order from HT. Here is a calculator that makes it easy to figure out how much meat and organ to add to meat/bone/organ grinds that are "too bony." http://jsfiddle.net/fjkemr77/2/embedded/result/

Customer service is excellent. http://www.hare-today.com

I don't know where you're located, but other options are My Pet Carnivore https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index.php?lang=en

And while they are growing, and getting their online ordering set up - it isn't yet - those I know that have tried it have been quite happy. You do need to allow several week lead time with this company, but as I said, people have been very happy with the products. Raw Feeding Miami is the company. http://www.rawfeedingmiami.com/

Last edited:

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From the Facebook pafe FP has not changed ownership. They have moved into just one facility in Florida. It seems to me they let the NY staff know they would soon be out of work and then still let them handle orders over the holidays. In reading their responses to complaints on that page I would not want to do business with them.They were hardly conciliatory.

LDG- you get 50 lbs of HT for $24 ???? How???? I just 50 lbs for about $150.

gbin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not so sure about Feline's Pride not having undergone a change of ownership in addition to having closed one of its two distribution centers (the one in FL remains open, the one in NY was recently closed), Maureen.  Their website changed within the past month such that it no longer says something on the welcome page about the company being "A subsidiary of Gomas Enterprises," making me think that's no longer the case.  And the two people who I talked with there in the past month (the woman who eventually answered inquiries I made to their customer service but represented herself as being in charge of the whole company, and who seemed to know nothing and wanted to do less than nothing for customers whose money the company accepted, and the man who answered the phone when I tried to reach the company's executive office because no one was responding to my inquiries to customer service, and who seemed quite professional, knowledgeable and helpful, but who the aforementioned woman subsequently angrily told me I shouldn't bother because he was merely her "accountant") gave me the impression their personnel is in serious flux, too.

In any event, at this point I wouldn't recommend trusting anything Feline's Pride says about anything, be it by telephone, in e-mail or on their website or Facebook page, and whether or not the aforementioned woman really is in charge there she seems to be ultimately responsible for communicating with/responding to customers (when she bothers to get back to them at all).  She clearly lied to me repeatedly, and as I said after 39 days I still haven't gotten what I ordered nor a refund even though she promised both numerous times over that period.

It's such a shame.  The raw meat cat food we bought from them - a lot, over several years and at considerable expense - seemed to be of high quality, and both our problem cat and our kitten thrived on it.  But if you can't trust them to get the food to you when you need it (or ever, I guess), then the quality of the food doesn't really matter.  (I'm in a relatively remote part of the Adirondacks in upstate NY, which is why reliable home delivery is so important.)

Thanks for the additional advice, LDG.  My wife and I will look into it.  We're certainly intrigued by Hare Today - and especially by the numerous recommendations we've seen for them here at The Cat Site - but were hoping to find something that's complete without us having to mix a bunch of stuff in.  Plus we weren't entirely sure how to decide what exactly to mix in.  We're still making up our minds about that and feeding Primal in the meantime.

Gerry