Experience with a kitten who chooses you

lucky luc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Minwi is the first cat I've ever had that really choose me, she went nuts and would not let me leave without her.I have gain more trust with that cat than any other cats I had at the end of there life and she is only 6 month old, the bond is instant

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Willow chose me. The caregiver tried to bring me another blue kitty, who wanted nothing to do with me. By the time the little black kittens came out from under the house and I remembered how much I liked black kitties, Willow had snuggled down into my arms. I would have had to put her down to get to know one of her black sisters. I wasn't about to do that.

She and I are very tight, without a whole lot of effort on my part. She's also bonded well with both of my pre-existing dogs.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
So I’ve told the story about losing my beloved Japanese bobtail named Cotton. She was 16 and had kidney failure and we had to make that awful decision. She was suffering. I was devastated because she was my therapy cat and friend. A year later on my birthday I decided I was ready for another cat. I was having a really hard time finding a kitten. It seemed like I missed it or no response etc. one day at work I saw a Craigslist ad with 2 kittens for sale. I called right away and he still had them! I said I’d be there right after work. There was another person who was coming over to look at them at 6:30 but I get off at 2:30 and I went right over. Two of the loveliest things ever! I held Jemima’ Sister first; adorable 🐱! Then Jemima. She looked at me plaintively and I picked her up. She looked really hard at me and dropped her head back with such acceptance, I knew she chose me. She told me by her trust that she was mine and I was hers! Yes, they chose you 😉. Here’s the picture of Jemima the day she chose me. Look at her looking at me and you’ll see...
BCA483D5-1D9C-4E30-BBEB-237D45EE0260.jpeg
C35058B4-62C8-48D8-8C62-4668FBF40D9F.png

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Yup. Jemima is definitely your kitten. I didn't have a "thing" about blue kittens and had already had quite a few false starts before I found Willow: a tortie who would have fit in beautifully if my car hadn't broken down so that I couldn't pick her up after all, and a tabby whose caregiver wanted an indoor/outdoor home were two that made me cry.

But when I walked into my home with MY kitten in the carrier, the dogs knew she was the right kitten too. She's weird, just like us.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Willows mom, great example of how our cat is meant to be ours! And how they fit in. My youngest son who is on the autistic spectrum got himself a kitten from the shelter who was about 9mths old. She was a strange little black cat and even he admitted that. Now he jokes about Duchess being autistic lol 😆. Cats are great 😘🐱

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I :redheartpump: these stories. Our two kitties are so different and yet so right for us and their adoption stories are totally different too. I think it can happen in so many ways.

Our tortie--we went to our local shelter and there were SO MANY kittens and people all lines up to meet them too! We were picking based on cuteness, but every time we asked to meet with one (you had to see them in their cages and then request a meeting before you could adopt) it had just been adopted by someone else. My kids were going crazy and I was feeling very overwhelmed (it wasn't at all the experience I thought it would be, it felt like Walmart on Back Friday). So we were walking around the cages and this little tortie was trying to play with us through the cage, her litter-mates/cage-mates all ignored us, but she was really wanting our attention. So we requested to meet her and finally this was one kitten who wasn't already taken. We met her and she was super confident and playful. . .my kids said immediately they wanted her but I was so hesitant, she wasn't at all the kitten I thought I wanted to adopt! But my kids were adamant, so she came home with us. And now she sleeps above my head every night and is an awesome 6 month old cat!

Also, adopting her led us to adopt a second kitten (she had so much energy she needed a playmate) and bc of that experience with the shelter we went with a different organization this time one that puts all its kittens in foster homes. Much different experience, we got to meet a whole litter with the mom and actually hang out with them for an hour. I wound up picking based on looks really. . .there was just one guy that I thought was super cute and all the kittens seemed well socialized and playful. He turned out to be way more timid than our first kitten, but they get along great and it's been nice to have these ying and yang kittens. He's very snuggly and loving. Somehow these cats both picked us. . .through very different circumstances.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
That makes for an interesting mix though. Your kittens had different experiences and in some ways can help them learn from each other. I have a kitten that was fostered than brought to the shelter and a kitten from a private home. So I think it’s great it worked out for you 😉