Experience at the hospital today

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today i went to hospital for a medical condition. The Nurse who was examining me in the Triage section said to me " you look tacky" and then said to the other nurse " she looks very tacky" reffering to me. I didnt know what she meant that i looked tacky , i never got to ask her. The nurse also thought i came into the hospital a month ago, but i never been to that hospital since 2011 .

If a nurse said to you " you look tacky " what would you think she was saying to you ? Im a little confused.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder whether she rides/owns a horse? Assuming she didn't mean "sticky" or "garish", she might have meant "in poor condition". I heard somebody use it to describe a horse that had been ill and had to ask what he meant. I wasn't familiar with that usage.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were you by chance pale, clammy, or flushed? Were you there for something related to your heart? It could have been "tachy" rather than "tacky." The only way I have heard "tacky" used is to describe something sticky or something/someone who looks cheap, garish, or gaudy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, thanks for the replies, it cleared my mind a bit from reading your responses, she did mention i was looking pale also. I think she meant "tachy" as elphaba09 said , and i think jcat is right with the ill and poor condition part.

I dont know why i took it as an isult when the nurse said it to me though lol , its the first time knowing that a term "tachy" is used in the medical field tachycardia which is heart racing fast , i had been searching the word tacky instead of Tachy :). Well now i know :) God i love this catsite forum, i learn so many new things from inteligent people here :) :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah i thought she was saying i looked tacky like as in my clothing and make up looked a mess lol , i was thinking god she is a little rude im sick for crying out loud. But now i understand. I guess i shouldnt jump to conclusions.
Tachycardia sounds like an awful thing to go through, like i do have panic attacks , but from what i am reading about Tachycardia sounds
full on 100 heart beats pm to 400 bpm :O It would be hell feeling 400 beats per minute in the heart :O
  • Shortness of breath
  • Dizziness
  • Sudden weakness
  • Fluttering in the chest
  • Lightheadedness
  • Fainting

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hell indeed! I have supraventricular tachycardia, which is why I thought of tachy.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, thanks for the replies, it cleared my mind a bit from reading your responses, she did mention i was looking pale also. I think she meant "tachy" as elphaba09 said , and i think jcat is right with the ill and poor condition part.

I dont know why i took it as an isult when the nurse said it to me though lol , its the first time knowing that a term "tachy" is used in the medical field tachycardia which is heart racing fast , i had been searching the word tacky instead of Tachy :). Well now i know :) God i love this catsite forum, i learn so many new things from inteligent people here :) :thumbsup:
First, hope you're feeling better.

Second, your initial concern was well-taken in my opinion. I'm not familiar with "tachy" as a term, but tacky I've heard used to mean "trashy" or "sticky" etc. I might have been inclined to take offense had it been me the nurse was talking about.

Thanks Columbine Columbine and Elphaba09 Elphaba09 for your explanation about tachycaria. We all learned something.

Hope the tachycardia is under control. Tachycardia - Wikipedia