Expenses & Jobs - Tell Us!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm really surprised at how many people are willing to share such deeply personal information such as their detailed finances on a discussion forum on the internet.

I'm leary of giving out that kind of information because there is no such thing as annonymity on the internet. If you have the tools and the know how it's not hard to find out someone's IP address and track them right to their computer and steal credit card and bank information, or even to their front door and rob them blind.

I saw on one of those crime shows that there are some people who make it their living to comb the net looking for victims
I'd hate to see anyone here, or anywhere for that matter, become a victim because they felt safe sharing deeply, seemingly harmless, information about themselves.

I'll give you a bit of an example of what happened to me not all that long ago.

I ended up with a stalker that I had "met" on the internet. I say "met" because that is how we came into each others' lives. Years ago I used to play an online computer game. Through game play you get to know a number of people through their characters in the game. Sometimes you even carry those friendships out of the game into a chat program like ICQ or MSN. This is what happened with me.

As part of my game play I had an in game "business" where I made in game items or acquired in game resources and sold them in game to other players. As a result I got to know many people (actually their game characters) on the server I played on. I also got to know a number of people enough that we added each other to ICQ so that we could contact each other if we just wanted to hang out in the game or go monster hunting.

One guy became fixated on me in the game and in ICQ. I won't go into detail because the story is long and the details not really relevant, but let's just say that with a few bits of basic information (ISP email address, first name, unlisted telephone number, city I lived in which has over 700,000 people, and the type of work that I did) that he used the tools that he had available to him as a US Marine working in communications, to find out not only my full name, but my Social Insurance Number, Driver's License Number, where I worked and my home address.

That guy stalked me on the net and in my life for almost 5 months. The police couldn't do anything because he never "did anything" specific. All he did was make veiled threats or comments with meanings that he knew I would pick up on. Oh, and he even had is ex girl friend join in on his stalking venture.

I ended up having to change my email address, ICQ number and telephone number. In the computer game I changed servers and created brand new characters with new names, made a ruse of advertising my game account for sale and having a friend "bid" on it. All in an attempt to lose myself. I almost moved because for months I was afraid to leave my home and everyone that I saw on the street that remotely looked like him sent me into a panic.

So you see, it's not just something that happens to other people. It can happen to anyone, and with very little information given out.
I was waiting for someone to post this nicely. All I kept thinking was, ok when does this person who makes all this money go on vacation?!

Comparing expenses to look for a deal or advice on how to afford things is different than posting all your expenses, yearly income & net savings per month.

Just remember pay yourself first. Always make sure you have $$$ to put away. Sometimes it's tough but it's the only way to save.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I think that's insane. It might work in a marriage, but not in a roommate situation. My roomie makes 1/4 of what I do, and I REFUSE to support him simply because he makes less money than I do.
Why should I have to pay for HIS lack of education?

We share a two-bedroom apartment, share the kitchen, the bathroom, he uses MY washer and dryer, and we split rent and utilities 50/50. THAT is fair, anything other than that would be completely UNfair.

Already, I'm not happy about paying half of the cable TV bill because the ONLY reason we have basic cable is so that HE can watch his silly wrestling. I'm happy with one local channel or DVDs. I usually read books rather than watch TV. Yet I pay 1/2 the cable bill every single month. Should I pay MORE than half just because I make more money? I hardly ever watch TV!

And conversely, I would have a huge problem with someone else taking over more than 50% of the bills that I am half responsible for - I would resent that very much, as I pay my own way in this world.

If you split the bills, it needs to be equitable. Salaries are NOT equitable.
When DH & I first moved in together I was paying most of the bills. He might have been making more but he had larger bills like car insurance to pay. I still made sure we had $ to put in our savings.

I agree about the cable for you. I wanted a certain IP company that was more expensive so I paid for it myself. DH didn't even have to ask or complain about it. Even when I wanted HBO or Showtime I made sure I had the extra money for that half of the cable bill.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not to fond of giving info myself so I'll say it like this

DH Is an Mechanical Engineer the pay is good, Plus he gets retirement from over 20 years in the service
The house payment is BIGGER them average
But this is Rip Off California

My car payment is big enough

The Utilities are OK except in the summer AIR kills us
Normal other things Insurance and such, We have Government Health Ins because of being in the Service and its dirt cheap ( Thank God )
We do OK have some money invested and like most people lost a great deal a few years back
Everything we have is paid for, bought new when we bought the house, except my car and personally I wish I didn't have a big house and lots of stuff NOW

I work a little bit and buy stuff for the kitties

Thats about it

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Boyfriend and I live in a 3 bdrm 2 1/2 bath townhome.

Rent: 1275
Util:~70
H20: 40
Cable/Internet: 60
Car: 60 (depends on the price of gas haha!)
Food: 200
Cat: it was 55 for just Luna (special food) but now we have a kitten, so I'm not sure how much it's gonna go up...
Phones: 100
Misc: whatever's left over, currently paying off credit card bills from our vacation.

Insurance: I pay 800/sem (or is it year?) student ins that's included in my tuiton. And my boyfreind *may* have something from his work...dunno...

I'm a graduate student during the semester and make a student's salary in the summer (and less in the semester b/c of classes LOL). My boyfriend works in a comission based job so if he does really well, that's awesome, if he doesn't sell anything, he has no money. The bottom line is that we live comfortably enough (though end up spending at least a week on canned corn and ramen every now and then) but don't have much money to save or do stuff with....but that'll change...at least we have each other!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

That's an interesting question. It's something I've been trying to sort out myself recently, and just figured out a new budget for myself. This is the first year I've lived on my own, so I'm trying to spend reasonably and save a little bit every month too.

So right now my monthly budget is:

Rent: $458 (1 bedroom apartment, including heat & water)
Cable/Internet: $52
Electricity: $20
Phone: $35
Groceries: $200
Car: $100 (gas & repairs)
Cats: $30 (yes, they do get their own portion of the budget)
Clothes: $30
Misc. Expenses: $210
Apartment: $150 (things like paint, furniture, etc. I like to decorate my apartment, okay!)
How is your electric so cheap!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to say - I am amazed at how economical you all seem to be with groceries!

For just me, it is like $350-$400 a month - and that does not include kitty food or paper goods and whatnot for the house.

I'm also dismayed to read how much many of you have to spend on gas

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

I have to say - I am amazed at how economical you all seem to be with groceries!

For just me, it is like $350-$400 a month - and that does not include kitty food or paper goods and whatnot for the house.

I'm also dismayed to read how much many of you have to spend on gas
I don't have a car so don't worry about the gas - just a bus pass every month. I miss a car, though!

For food, TP, paper towels, soaps, etc I average about $50 a week. I don't eat too well though
Lots of pasta, potatoes, tuna, sauces. Fresh produce tends to be spendy so don't get much of that. I try not to eat out at work because that ads up so quickly. Of course, I am just one person. It may be more expensive for two

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fiance & I are lucky due to the fact we live rent free with his parents for now. At the same time, I'm losing my mind living here still - its been 2 years now, our wedding is in 6½ months and we dont have a house or land yet!! Our current monthly bills are:

$50 for my cell phone
$200 for my engagement ring (last payment in August)
$200 for a loan we took out
$ misc amount for our CC bill, usually ~500
$114 for car insurance
$50-100 for groceries / eating out.

I work in a chemistry laboratory making $11/hr. I just got a new job within the company where I will be making $12 to start and $14.10 / hr in 90 days. I dont find that too bad for a 20 year old who is still in college! My fiance works as a transmission rebuilder and gets about $400/week. He also does random auto work out of the garage and gets extra $$ for that. If we had our own place, I believe we would be living fine - we have a nice chunk of cash put away in a money market account for a home down payment, so we wouldnt have an insane mortgage.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spend alot on gas due to being self employed. I drive a full size truck and if I have to pull the trailer the gas mileage does become rather miserly!! Some of my jobs are 25 miles away but I try to dovetail some personal errands in when I can (lots of time I'm kinda grubby looking).

Our farm property is about 45 miles away and we can go there 1-2/times month. But we did trade the SUV in for a car however a motorcycle/scooter isn't practical for either of us (yet). Then we have the gas to buy for the lawn mower, the two roto tillers, snowblower, chainsaw and other gas powered engines, the 4 wheeler and the tractors too.

The small bedroom community that we live close to has no bus service either.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm really surprised at how many people are willing to share such deeply personal information such as their detailed finances on a discussion forum on the internet.

I'm leary of giving out that kind of information because there is no such thing as annonymity on the internet. If you have the tools and the know how it's not hard to find out someone's IP address and track them right to their computer and steal credit card and bank information, or even to their front door and rob them blind.

I saw on one of those crime shows that there are some people who make it their living to comb the net looking for victims
I'd hate to see anyone here, or anywhere for that matter, become a victim because they felt safe sharing deeply, seemingly harmless, information about themselves.

So you see, it's not just something that happens to other people. It can happen to anyone, and with very little information given out.
Thanks for posting this. I agree, in many cases this specific information is not something that should be shared (however nice or innocent it is meant) over the internet an in huge forum due to safety reasons. Most things like this (sharing of personal information, etc.) are harmless but not all people are harmless. Just a few cents.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

How is your electric so cheap!
No clue, I didn't realize it was cheap! Heat isn't included in that (it's paid in the rent) so maybe that's what makes the difference? Otherwise it's just lights and my appliances and stuff which I guess isn't that much. I remember a few months back I had a grand electricity bill of $1.81 (I think I was overestimated for my previous month though...). I was annoyed to have to waste a cheque for that!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

No clue, I didn't realize it was cheap! Heat isn't included in that (it's paid in the rent) so maybe that's what makes the difference? Otherwise it's just lights and my appliances and stuff which I guess isn't that much. I remember a few months back I had a grand electricity bill of $1.81 (I think I was overestimated for my previous month though...). I was annoyed to have to waste a cheque for that!
OMG our electric bills were never below 90$ in the apartment.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'll give you a bit of an example of what happened to me not all that long ago.

I ended up with a stalker that I had "met" on the internet. I say "met" because that is how we came into each others' lives. Years ago I used to play an online computer game. Through game play you get to know a number of people through their characters in the game. Sometimes you even carry those friendships out of the game into a chat program like ICQ or MSN. This is what happened with me.

As part of my game play I had an in game "business" where I made in game items or acquired in game resources and sold them in game to other players. As a result I got to know many people (actually their game characters) on the server I played on. I also got to know a number of people enough that we added each other to ICQ so that we could contact each other if we just wanted to hang out in the game or go monster hunting.

One guy became fixated on me in the game and in ICQ. I won't go into detail because the story is long and the details not really relevant, but let's just say that with a few bits of basic information (ISP email address, first name, unlisted telephone number, city I lived in which has over 700,000 people, and the type of work that I did) that he used the tools that he had available to him as a US Marine working in communications, to find out not only my full name, but my Social Insurance Number, Driver's License Number, where I worked and my home address.

That guy stalked me on the net and in my life for almost 5 months. The police couldn't do anything because he never "did anything" specific. All he did was make veiled threats or comments with meanings that he knew I would pick up on. Oh, and he even had is ex girl friend join in on his stalking venture.

I ended up having to change my email address, ICQ number and telephone number. In the computer game I changed servers and created brand new characters with new names, made a ruse of advertising my game account for sale and having a friend "bid" on it. All in an attempt to lose myself. I almost moved because for months I was afraid to leave my home and everyone that I saw on the street that remotely looked like him sent me into a panic.

That's true enough, but if someone is going to stalk me, they're not going to stalk me any more or less, imo, because of information they get here. They can steal my IP address from any post I make, and get my information that way. It's just simply not that hard to do, and in fact, pretty much anyone can get the software.

I used to play an online game, and did the same types of things as you.. I played Dragonrealms for years.. but have long since stopped.
I miss my little empath. Anyway, just thought it was cool that we had a similar interest.

Actually, I'd be surprised if anyone was stupid enough to try to go after me for money, simply because.. well, it's not like I have any extra to spare. I have no credit for them to steal or to mess up. I have no real valuables in my house, and what electronics and so forth I do have are insured. The only thing I have of sentimental value that's worth anything is on my finger. And honestly, I appreciate your concern, and probably the right thing to do for other people is to be more careful, but I've been stalked home from the bars I used to work at, etc. I've dealt with it on a much more personal level, and I refused to let that idiot scare me and that was real time and in person. I'd be more likely to scoff at them then anything, although, I can certainly see why other people would be concerned. Unfortunately (and it will probably get me in trouble one day and probably murdered).. I don't feel that fear factor that I probably should feel. So, I'm just not as uptight and careful about it. For me, I think it would be just as easy for someone I know to do this to me, stalk me home from work, or for someone in the area to be sitting outside watching my house as it is for someone I don't know who got my info from the net. I dunno, maybe not. I am very sorry to hear that this happened to you, though.
I hope that he's gone for good now.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I am at home with mum and dad as im looking for work (mum is the sole provider) but i pay for my mobile phone, travels, clothes, toiletries, rent, groceries and whenever i am going out with Tristan or away for accomodation etc.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our expenses are roughly $2000 a month, including $660 for a two bedroom townhouse, but not including what we pay for DH's education. I bring in $2000 a month as a chaplain. My husband works part time and attends school. We are pretty much paycheck to paycheck, but that will end in about five months when DH finishes school.